Cyxics's Classic Lunatic Plus LTC

You

For those unfamiliar with the mode, Lunatic Plus takes the most difficult and frustrating aspects of the regular Lunatic mode and makes them worse. The game achieves this anomaly by randomly assigning skills to every enemy, who have the same stats as their Lunatic counterparts. You should be familiar with one such assigned skill; Pass, obtainable by all assassins, promotes interesting changes in player tactics. However, the other possible skills are exclusive to Lunatic Plus enemies and downright broken.

Hawkeye guarantees that its wielder will strike his or her foe. This skill effectively trashes the weapon triangle, but is ineffective in a significant number of situations. However, a hammer wielder with Hawkeye WILL kill Frederick, even if he is equipped with a sword and standing on a fortress.

The next skill of interest, Vantage Plus, allows its wielder to strike first when being attacked. Unlike regular Vantage for Myrmidons, Vantage Plus triggers all the time. When this skill is on enemy mages, this turns a safe elimination by Frederick into his death or a VERY painful engagement.

Finally, Luna Plus is a Luna effect that always triggers. This sounds minor, but this is THE Lunatic Plus skill that ruins this mode. Against Frederick, this skill gives the enemy seven extra damage per hit. Myrmidons with this skill start hurting Frederick, and Barbarians deal double their normal amount of damage. Luna Plus is ineffective on units that Frederick is supposed to evade or kill first, such as units with Hammers or magic. However, if those units receive Hawkeye or Vantage Plus as well, they will kill Frederick and your army no matter how good your strategy is.

Regardless, I still wish to undertake this Classic Lunatic Plus LTC, meaning that I will play the game on Lunatic Plus with the Classic option selected in as few recorded turns as possible. I will choose to play with the male avatar and I will also recruit and keep all the game units alive. Given the unbalanced nature of this mode and the severe handicap of an LTC (lowest turn-count) run, I will use any "non-cheating" technique to clear this game, including DLC, Streetpass, Spotpass, and Renown (which I have maximized already).

As I slowly make breakthroughs, I will fill this thread with progress of my run and share techniques (and possibly videos) of what I have done.

Chapters:

Premonition: Invisible Ties - 2 Turns

Prologue: The Verge of History - 6 Turns (4 Turns possible)

Chapter 1: Unwelcome Change - 4 Turns

Edited by Cyxics

Premonition: Invisible Ties

Turn Count: 2

This is a template for chapters I perform, but I will be more detailed in more rigorous chapters. I would like to see your own performances in these chapters! :)

Turn 1:

1. Paired Avatar with Chrom

2. Moved Chrom as close to Validar as possible

Turn 2:

1. Attacked and killed Validar with Chrom! Silver Sword

Anyways, this is as easy as Lunatic Plus Classic gets. This strategy works every time!

Edited by Cyxics

Prologue: The Verge of History

Turn Count: 6

It gets pretty juicy from this point on.

This chapter is easy even in Lunatic Plus as long as you know what you are doing. Just pray that the enemies don't kill one of your characters with an effective skill combination.

Turn 1:

1. Pair Avatar with Frederick

2. Kill the nearest Myrmidon from the right using Frederick! Silver Lance

3. Move Lissa into safety, but within walking distance to Frederick

Turn 2:

1. Heal Frederick with Lissa

2. Give Frederick Lissa's vulnerary

3. Kill the mage!

4. Use Chrom to kill the surviving barbarian if any (if both barbarians survived from the first turn, my strategy fails)

Turn 3:

1. Kill the other mage!

2. Move Lissa and Chrom out of attack range.

At this point, I was lucky to have Frederick at high (maximum?) health. Normally, I would have pulled my units back this turn and healed Frederick, but I took the opportunity to just kill the other mage.

Turn 4:

1. Kill the surviving barbarian with Avatar

2. Move Chrom and Lissa up closer to boss

Turn 5:

1. Move Frederick next to boss

2. Frederick uses vulnerary

Turn 6:

1. Kill boss with Bronze sword

I was lucky this chapter as I procured a dual guard, a critical hit, and a couple dual strikes against barbarians. If a mage had Vantage+ or if enough barbarians had luna+, a turn 6 victory is impossible even with my luck.

Edit: Given favorable enemy skill-sets, a four-turn victory is possible. I have achieved this on Lunatic Vanilla quite easily, but Lunatic Plus is another can of worms. I plan to fix this guide in the near future.

Edited by Cyxics

Chapter 1: Unwelcome Change

Turn Count: 4

The prerequisites for a four-turn clear of Chapter 1 is Frederick having a speed of 11 (one growth from the previous chapter). With Chrom as a support, Frederick!Silver Lance can double and kill the boss in one round. Although it is not needed, a single growth in strength would TREMENDOUSLY help too as Freddy would be able to 1HKO the pesky archer as well with Avatar as his support.

Lethal Obstacles:

1. The hammer dude having Hawkeye

2. The Boss having Luna+/Hawkeye

3. Enough Mercenaries/Archers with Luna

4. Enough Barbarians with Hawkeye/Luna+

With a Frederick!Bronze Sword camping on a fortress can reliably dodge barbarians unless they have Hawkeye. Mercenaries, on the other hand, strike accurately, and will shred Frederick if they have Luna+.

Turn 1:

1. Avatar pairs with Frederick

2. Avatar moves onto LEFT fortress

3. Avatar switches into Frederick!Bronze Sword

4. Move Chrom/Lissa as near to Frederick without being in range of attack

The left fortress is key to this strategy due to its proximity all the enemies in general. By the time the boss closes in, the other units must be dead.

Turn 2:

1. Frederick!Bronze Sword kills mercenary

2. Pair and move Virion and Sully as far up as possible

3. Seperate Virion/Sully

4. Adjust Chrom/Lissa's positions

Turn 3:

1. Approach and kill archer with Frederick!Silver Lance

2. Move Lissa/Chrom/Sully/Virion as close to Frederick as possible

Turn 4:

1. Kill final mercenary/Risen with Virion

2. Heal Frederick with Lissa

3. Pair Chrom with Sully

4. Transfer Chrom to Frederick

5. Kill Boss with Frederick! Silver Spear

Success hinges upon not having Frederick die. Considering that, Lunatic Plus isn't really scary after all.

Edited by Cyxics

How the hell are you gonna recruit donnel. Also you're doing rather well for a mode that I refuse to even play.

Leveling up Donnel in his Paralogue will be fun.

As turns spent in DLC chapters do not count for the game's records and my purposes, I can prepare rally-bots and a pair-up partner to give Donnel at least +13 in every stat. If Donnel's partner is a Swordmaster, he receives an additional +5 to his speed as well.

I would be VERY scared if Donnel couldn't double with 21 speed.

Premonition: Invisible Ties

Turn Count: 2

This is a template for chapters I perform, but I will be more detailed in more rigorous chapters. I would like to see your own performances in these chapters! :)

Turn 1:

1. Paired Avatar with Chrom

2. Moved Chrom as close to Validar as possible

Turn 2:

1. Attacked and killed Validar with Chrom! Silver Sword

Anyways, this is as easy as Lunatic Plus Classic gets. This strategy works every time!

Post of the year.

Looking forward to further seeing your masochistic endeavors.

Post of the year.

Looking forward to further seeing your masochistic endeavors.

Well you jinxed me. I don't have a consistent strategy for Chapter 2 and now I figure that supporting Chrom with Frederick rather than Avatar would allow me to double the barbarians of that chapter. So now I am considering restarting the run!

Or I could pray for dondon to help me create some miracle strategy-thingy/RNG Abuse tech... :P

Edited by Cyxics

Well you jinxed me. I don't have a consistent strategy for Chapter 2 and now I figure that supporting Chrom with Frederick rather than Avatar would allow me to double the barbarians of that chapter. So now I am considering restarting the run!

Or I could pray for dondon to help me create some miracle strategy-thingy/RNG Abuse tech... :P

Oh fuck, I'm sorry. :( But if you're willing to do it, push forward. Better to restart now at Chapter 2 than find yourself screwed in a much later chapter.

But I really meant it when I said your post was funny, even if I don't think you intended it to be.

Oh fuck, I'm sorry. :( But if you're willing to do it, push forward. Better to restart now at Chapter 2 than find yourself screwed in a much later chapter.

But I really meant it when I said your post was funny, even if I don't think you intended it to be.

My oversight, not some mammy caricature (jinx, haha?), got me in this situation as I'm "LTC'ing" Lunatic+ blind to future chapters.

Unlike Chapter 1, I achieved the six-turn Prologue win and Frederick's required growths by luck. Luckily, I have an empty save slot, so I will abuse that real soon and possibly amend my Prologue strategy for something more consistent.

Even though I have no credibility whatsoever, you still show interest and I appreciate that. Now I just need free time to actually play.

Edited by Cyxics

How the hell are you gonna recruit donnel. Also you're doing rather well for a mode that I refuse to even play.

If he didn't have DLC abuse by then, he could sacrifice a few turns by making sure that the archer on the top left of the map does not have counter or pass and have him poke at him for a free level.

Success hinges upon not having Frederick die. Considering that, Lunatic Plus isn't really scary after all.

Start picking a god and pray. Because Chapter 2 throwing any two Luna+ mooks with high hit/hawkeye next to each other *WILL* end Frederick.

Prepare for some resets.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I figure that the absolute minimum turn count on the prologue is four turns. After my schedule begins to clear up, I will tell you the cure to cancer can work on chapter 2 again and post the theoretical strategy for the four-turn wins prologue.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of important updates:

I plan to make videos depicting my strategies, but I don't know how to take 3DS recordings. I would appreciate some help in this department.

Regarding actual game-play, I have yet to produce a miracle strategy for Chapter 2 on Lunatic Plus. The strength and number of the chapter's enemies cannot be overcome with strategy. Despite the overwhelming difficulty of Chapter 2, I will not abandon my project. Therefore, I will work on improving my turn counts on the Prologue and Chapter 1.

From my replays of Lunatic Vanilla, a four-turn victory in the Prologue is indeed possible, even on Lunatic Plus. My strategy works, but I need to... "influence" the RNG for it to become more agreeable. I will keep my eyes open for a three-turn victory.

Then again, I COULD just make this into a Lunatic Vanilla run, but then the difficulty would become too low.

Edited by Cyxics

A couple of important updates:

I plan to make videos depicting my strategies, but I don't know how to take 3DS recordings. I would appreciate some help in this department.

The first option involves getting a capture card. It's a HUGE, and EXPENSIVE investment and I do not recommend it unless you will use it VERY often. http://www.3dscapture.com/

The second option is to use a camera. Preferably the camera can also record direct feed from the headphone jack from the 3DS.

The third option is not a video solution... but when the Miiverse update or something comes out... everyone will be able to take screenshots of their game. Hopefully that means you can take said images and display them elsewhere as well.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Not to mention that they're presently sold out.

Look in the forum. It's meant to be that way so that people who buy it aren't complete idiots and/or jerks to the guy making it.

Edit: Correction, it DOES look like he's sold out at the moment. There are other places who sell the capture card... but that involves shipping internationally.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I can't invest in a capture card, but maybe a friend has one. How would using a camera work? I have yet to see a decent quality FE:A video made with a camera.

You're going to have to sacrifice quality in that regard.

I've seen a few decent 3DS videos taken with cameras. I'd say that for best quality you'd want a tripod setup and to have your 3DS secured so it doesn't move either. Still nowhere near as good as an actual capture card, of course.

And also I don't think capture cards are common enough that it would be at all likely that a friend would happen to have one (certainly I don't know of anyone at my college who has one), and even if they did it's not exactly something you can remove from a 3DS easily and just borrow, to my knowledge, so you'd kinda have to borrow the entire system.

I can't invest in a capture card, but maybe a friend has one. How would using a camera work? I have yet to see a decent quality FE:A video made with a camera.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=40997

Ask this guy. Best camera footage of 3DS screens I've ever seen.

Edited by Malebolganone

• 1 month later...

I updated the first post (an overview) of this thread. I come to tell you guys that I have not given up and that I am better at Fire Emblem than you, but I still have to fulfill my responsibilities in life. After I complete Chapter 2 optimally, this thread should update much more quickly into the Lunatic Plus endgame.

Still, I know how to approach and complete this run now. Airship Canon has informed me that I can back up my game file to effectively treat Classic mode bookmarks as Battle Saves. With this knowledge, I can rig up ideal in-game conditions and potentially edit footage into stunt videos depicting a theoretical clearing of this game's hardest mode.