All movie-based games suck.

Barney Calhoun

Goldeneye, Spiderman 2, The Warriors, Super Star Wars games.

Goldeneye, if you actually think about it and take off extreme nostalgia blinders, is actually only an extreme case of being so bad it's good.

Edited by The JOJ

Goldeneye, if you actually think about it and take off extreme nostalgia blinders, is actually only an extreme case of being so bad it's good.

Most people consider Goldeneye a classic. I don't think it has aged well, but it was acclaimed when it came out.

What? The only way you can seriously conclude Goldeneye was a bad game is if you judge it through modern criteria. At the time of its release it was critically acclaimed and for good reason. It had some of the best multiplayer firefights you could have, like if you had an N64 and you never had this game you did yourself and your poor friends a massive disservice. My group was more partial to Agent Under Fire later, but that was years after this bad boy.

Anyways, while Tryhard posted some very good examples (Spiderman 2 was sooooo good), there are a few I think are great too.

1.) An often-mentioned title which I regrettably played only a bit was Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. At the time the game was graphically stunning, but more importantly the gameplay was centered around blending immersive stealth with action-FPS. A bit of a small point --though I guess those are all I can mention, since I only played about an hour-- is that it lacked a HUD, which was pretty cool. I've always been a sucker for games like Breakdown that put you in the shoes of the character while you're playing.

2.) One that's not often said in threads but that I loved as a kid was Aladdin for the Sega Genesis was a huge blast, it was a great platformer and had a terrific blend of colorful locales and challenging gameplay. Not really much that can be said beyond that, but it really nails everything a platformer needs to be charming well. In that vein with similar recommendation I would push for Lion King as well, and Toy Story to a certain extent.

3.) There are tons of Star Wars games out there. Like dozens and dozens. Many of them are very well-liked by people, with the most popular examples being the Knights of the Old Republic series. Some lesser known ones that are still a blast are the Rogue Squadron and TIE Fighter series. I'd like to use this little number here to instead praise the Dark Forces series, most strongly Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Outcast. The former was a pretty big innovation on the PC for its time, as it blended advanced graphics with addictive FPS gameplay. It was notable for (I think) being the first FPS game you could use a lightsaber. Jedi Outcast improved upon the formula greatly and in terms of actually swinging around a lightsaber and dueling with others is unmatched. I remember playing this game for hours both online and offline with friends. It was terrific and the fact that the series is dead in the water is depressing.

4.) While the Lord of the Rings series of games were hit-or-miss from installment to installment, the hack n' slash titles, specifically Two Towers and Return of the King, were quite well-received. The gameplay was polished and the action was frenetic. This one too I only played a bit at a friend's house, but I was definitely left with an agreeable impression!

I fucking hope that Assassin's Creed movie coming up will not suck

please please please

(I also hope that, should Ezio be in it, they find someone really hot)

yfw it's Jake Gyllenhaall

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Spongebob squarepants the movie the game for GCN was pretty good actually.

Also Toystory/old harry potter games.

Edit: I have no idea why this is indented, sorry to all of you guys out there with OCD.

Edited by kirsche

I'm sure we the poster said '''movie based on games'' not ''games based on movies''

If the poster had meant movies based on games, then they would've had game-based movies. Movie-based games clearly means games that are based off of movies. X-based Y's means Y is based off of X.

If the poster had meant movies based on games, then they would've had game-based movies. Movie-based games clearly means games that are based off of movies. X-based Y's means Y is based off of X.

cool

LEGO Star Wars (the first few, before they became repetitive cookie-cutters).

LEGO LotR wasn't bad either; it certainly didn't suck.

There was this one Hercules video game based off the Disney film that one of my cousins had... it was actually pretty good. I think it was a PS1 title...?

Yep. I was just about to mention that.

The first Spiderman moviegame of that era was also alright, but it was "great for a movie game" alright. Spiderman 2 was like ordering a personal pan pizza at the combination Pizza Hut/Taco Bell and getting something that a hoity-toity Chicago pizzeria spent an hour making

Edited by Rehab