Planning for a Perfect Transfer Save

Hi. First time poster, been lurking around a short while. Great site, hopefully I can get a good sense of what I'm doing. Anyways, I'm trying to go for [my] perfect save for transferring. I'm mostly concerned about stats. Weapon levels didn't bother me at all in RD, and supports shouldn't be hard to manipulate, although I should devote a little time to that. Anyways, here starts my rambling.

- First question: do bonus stats affect unit max caps? I'm hoping max caps raise, but I think I'm too optimistic. In the pessimistic case, should it be more important to try to get odd stats to cap instead of usual ones? For example, would I prefer a capped RES for Ike despite an uncapped STR/SPL stat?

- Most likely I'll be playing fixed mode. I don't want to take a shotgun to my Wii or something in the process. I noticed most of the good characters cap anyways, so not much point for going for awesome stats, especially since RD's Battle Save isn't here.

- Calill/Largo. The potential +10 hp and +4 to all stats is very tempting. I never used either though, so I'm not sure how viable this is. How difficult is it to get a fairly large number of capped stats, esp. in fixed mode? Between the 2, which stats would naturally cap, and which will get close? I even theorized a strategy to level up Calill. Let her slowly chip away at Ena in Ch21. I think I can get her to 20/20 in 1 stage, possibly.

- Sothe. Is he worth getting to 20? From my observations, the answer seems to be no, since his Rogue caps are so low anyways. (partially dependent on my first question I guess.)

- Which stages are good for abusing EXP? I.E. bosses that don't move and regenerate. The only one I remember from the top of my head is Ena on Ch21.

- Any other suggestions?

Unfortunately, units with bonuses get the same caps.

Unless you're a massive Calill fan, maxing them isn't really worth it. There are better units who need the experience more.

Sothe isn't really worth using in Path. He caps his stats if you care to use him in Dawn anyway, and his starter stats are fine.

I don't have enough experience with fixed mode, sorry.

Though I know you didn't ask for them, a couple suggestions for raising:

-For the love of the G-man, Jill. You'll make life much easier for the Dawn Brigade if you decide to max her. She'll have just the edge she needs to kill in the early going, which helps a lot when so many of your other guys are weak.

-Don't need to max Haar, he'll rock out and cap stuff quick in Dawn anyway.

-Nobody in the Greil Mercs desperately needs bonuses to be good in Dawn. It'll help out Soren, Oscar and Boyd, but most of the others worth using (Shinon, Gatrie and Titania I guess) will be totally fine without, and nobody there desperately needs bonuses. This is assuming you'll level the crap out of Ike anyway.

-Kieran and Marcia having bonuses, if you choose to use them, will make the Crimean Knights' lives much easier, especially since they're so understaffed.

- First question: do bonus stats affect unit max caps? I'm hoping max caps raise, but I think I'm too optimistic. In the pessimistic case, should it be more important to try to get odd stats to cap instead of usual ones? For example, would I prefer a capped RES for Ike despite an uncapped STR/SPL stat?

- Most likely I'll be playing fixed mode. I don't want to take a shotgun to my Wii or something in the process. I noticed most of the good characters cap anyways, so not much point for going for awesome stats, especially since RD's Battle Save isn't here.

- Calill/Largo. The potential +10 hp and +4 to all stats is very tempting. I never used either though, so I'm not sure how viable this is. How difficult is it to get a fairly large number of capped stats, esp. in fixed mode? Between the 2, which stats would naturally cap, and which will get close? I even theorized a strategy to level up Calill. Let her slowly chip away at Ena in Ch21. I think I can get her to 20/20 in 1 stage, possibly.

- Sothe. Is he worth getting to 20? From my observations, the answer seems to be no, since his Rogue caps are so low anyways. (partially dependent on my first question I guess.)

- Which stages are good for abusing EXP? I.E. bosses that don't move and regenerate. The only one I remember from the top of my head is Ena on Ch21.

- Any other suggestions?

Bonuses don't affect it. And yes, it would be a great idea to max Ike's resistance. Some characters with low growths in certain stats may not be worth it to cap those stats.

Alrighty then.

I don't know about fixed mode, I never play because you can abuse levels for caps in random, so I can't help here.

Yes, from my experience. That is, considering you cap his defense, HP, and get 15 resistance. Everything else will cap on its own or be fine.

Ena's the only one I can think of, haven't played this game in a while.

Don't raise too many characters or you may have trouble getting them to 20/20.

Sorta on topic, but it doesn't really help.

I have the perfect save file as far as stats go. Thanks to an action replay device, I managed to get infinite stat boosters. So I got every character to completely capped stats. Next time I play through Por, I'm gonna see if it works for movement. If it does, I can have Sothe move 20 spaces in theory. XD

*Rofls at cheapness.*

Sorta on topic, but it doesn't really help.

I have the perfect save file as far as stats go. Thanks to an action replay device, I managed to get infinite stat boosters. So I got every character to completely capped stats. Next time I play through Por, I'm gonna see if it works for movement. If it does, I can have Sothe move 20 spaces in theory. XD

*Rofls at cheapness.*

I don't think it works i gave my ike some boots when he was a lord and i thought his movement would be 9. To my surprise my Ike only had 7 of movement in RD.

Hi. First time poster, been lurking around a short while. Great site, hopefully I can get a good sense of what I'm doing. Anyways, I'm trying to go for [my] perfect save for transferring. I'm mostly concerned about stats. Weapon levels didn't bother me at all in RD, and supports shouldn't be hard to manipulate, although I should devote a little time to that. Anyways, here starts my rambling.

- Any other suggestions?

Only answer for bolded ones

- I prefer Random mode for Fox's reasons

- As for Sothe he is worth leveling up. Go for it, some help with him wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Slayer

I don't think it works i gave my ike some boots when he was a lord and i thought his movement would be 9. To my surprise my Ike only had 7 of movement in RD.

Well, it only gets the boost if it caps. Cept for Sothe.

Imagine it though. Sothe moving 20 spaces each turn. 22 if he has celerity. XD

Well, it only gets the boost if it caps. Cept for Sothe.

Imagine it though. Sothe moving 20 spaces each turn. 22 if he has celerity. XD

I never thought movement could cap.

I never thought movement could cap.

Yeah. It capps at 20. I tried it once. but then I skipped it cause I felt it was too confusing.

But if each character only gets a +2 bonus, and Sothe isn't around the whole game so I could take that, it'll be freaking awesome. I could show those fucking laguz in the prologue of part 3 what it means to take my exp

Calill's worth using, Largo isn't.

No point because he caps most stats in RD anyway.

Bertram in Chapter 26? He uses Runesword plus is on a Seize spot. But his defenses are lower than Ena's. Maybe Muarim, but he doesn't heal.

- Any other suggestions?

Use Jill, and max Ike's speed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at Endgame: Repatriation, and I felt obligated to give a quick status report of my planned run. Which, by the way, did not go the way I planned. First note: If you want to get a ridiculously awesome transferred file, Fixed Mode is not a particularly good idea. You cap the stats you cap anyways, and you don't cap the others either. Anyways, on to a quick character summary.

Ike: Gave him a Priest Band most of the way. Naturally capped STR, SKL, and SPD. 2 off from capping DEF, so I'm giving him a Dracoshield. My personal beef with Ike is his RES. He got 17 res naturally. That's 5 from his cap. ARRRGH. Still 1 off even after using both Talismans. A support with Soren.

Brom: My god he's a beast. Gave him the Knight Ward most of the way. After a +HP and a +STR item, he will cap HP, STR, SKL, SPD, and DEF. A support with Zihark.

Zihark: Naturally caps STR, SKL, and SPD. Nowhere close to anything else. Sadly expected.

Ilyana. Only capped RES, and even needed +MAG items to cap that. Freakishly far away from anything else. Stupid cunt, spent so much time training you and that's all I get?

Nephnee: After a +STR item, she will sadly still only cap STR, SKL, and SPD.

Haar: This lazy bastard only capped STR. Nowhere close to anything else. Not a big deal I suppose, but I really hoped for speed. Ok, I was too optimistic.

Jill: Caps STR, SKL, and with a Speedwing, SPD. Hoped for defense, but like Ike, 1 off even with all my Dracoshields.

Sothe: I hate this fool. I actually manually trained him most of the way to 20. The only advantage he got over his RD self is +2 HP and +3 luck. WTF? Everything else was ridiculously far away. So pissed. Not sure why he was so screwed, maybe its because he was killing mostly mages.

Most other characters couldn't reach 20 or I didn't really care about either. From a quick count Tanith can't cap anything without major help. Oscar/Astrid are a bit far and I don't care.

Final notes:

- The best part of a transfer file are the supports and weapon skill.

- Fixed modes gives very few useful stats. Useful as in stats they need, not the ones they overdose in, i.e. more STR on Haar, etc.

- POR caps are REALLY high. I remember capping absolutely everything in RD. Maybe its because my first RD runthrough I battle save abused.

- Planning ahead doesn't mean much if you don't follow through. Didn't feel like using Calill and Largo (although I have enough bexp).

You should save all your stat-boosters for Sothe if you plan on getting him to 20 in Path of Radiance for a transfer so that you can make him utterly godmode.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, yeah, you can't cap stats your character probably "needs" most in Radiant Dawn. It's not like you can cap stuff to totally change that character. However, it's hard to argue with a +2 boost in the things they are good in. For example, Ike? He starts with maxed skill if you maxed it in PoR. That's pretty awesome, imo. It makes it easier to BEXP abuse their stats up, too. The faster you cap what you're gonna cap, the more levels you can force the 3 gained stats upon your lower end stuff.

There are still a handful of characters that even the stuff they are likely to cap in PoR immediately helps them in Radiant Dawn. Jill has a fairly decent chance to cap strength and skill in PoR, if I remember correctly, which is probably her biggest starting weakness in RD. Same goes for Ilyana except with Magic and Skill. Astrid also gets a lot of help if you manage to cap her speed (which I did at level 6 or 7 as a paladin). Even Stefan gets a lot of help (it makes him about 3 points shy of already capping strength, skill, and speed in RD).

Edited by sandmanccl

You should save all your stat-boosters for Sothe if you plan on getting him to 20 in Path of Radiance for a transfer so that you can make him utterly godmode.

I found getting Sothe's stats capped, except magic, luck, and resistance, was fairly easy.

I would make the "perfect" file, but then again I did in pokemon when I legitimately Ev trained all my team and found the right natures and all and after that i never wanna do anything like that again lol.

I found getting Sothe's stats capped, except magic, luck, and resistance, was fairly easy.

Just going off averages and assuming you're not reloading a bunch of times in set-up phases with bonus experience, the only two he's likely to max out are speed and skill. Strength and Defense get close, though.

But still, doesn't hurt to hold on to a few in case you can't use them to max out your other 20/20 people's stats.

I would make the "perfect" file, but then again I did in pokemon when I legitimately Ev trained all my team and found the right natures and all and after that i never wanna do anything like that again lol.

Going off topic but Pokerus + bracers of specific stats from battle tower (Forgot names) makes EVing 10 minutes if you go to the right places.

I went through the same phase and spent a month constructing around 20-25 EV trained Pokemon, which went to waste since I never really found someone to go against often.