Dedicated Fire Emblem Hacking Website Project - Help desired

MarkyJoe1990

http://markyjoe1990.elementfx.com/fehack/

The Fire Emblem Hacking Community is disorganized as all hell, and I'm getting sick of it. So I decided to make a website dedicated to helping aspiring hackers obtain the best and latest tools, as well as the best tutorials.

As you can see (at least on the current date: 11/19/2013), I've already done a lot of work, but there still needs to be things done.

My current goals are as follows:

- Add more tools and tutorials

- Graphics and Palette editor programs and tutorials

- Link to all documentation

- Link to all animations

- Extract the tileset configs, tileset graphics, and tileset palettes from each fire emblem game and provide it in the tilesets section. That way, people don't need to extract them from the games themselves

- Get rid of other graphics unless someone made some for public use. If so, link to it and show screenshots.

- Link all the fix patches, then link to the more optional stuff.

- Get a BIN for the generic MIDI instrument set that's insertable into the game.

- Link to all of Agro's GBA compatible remakes of other Fire Emblem songs.

Future Goals:

- Host/link to ROM hacks (or link to their blogs/websites), complete with a rating system.

- Allow people to register on the website, log in, and submit hacks, reviews, LPs, ratings, hacking content (Like custom tilesets and music), etc.

Ultimately, I guess the goal of this website is to eliminate the need to surf several forums and websites to get everything to need to hack, as well as just unify the hacking community so that they don't have to post their stuff on several forums in the first place.

What I would like from the community is suggestions, as well as links to tools, tutorials, and other content that I may have missed.

Here's to hoping my plan actually works.

Here are the extracted tilesets for the first eight Fire Emblem games, sans metadata:

http://www.mediafire.com/?51conlr56edaarl

The Booty Wawriah
and I have also made threads detailing some open resources on the forum, if interested.

I would say you are, however, better off asking VincentASM for wiki permission and migrating your work there.

EDIT: Some miscellaneous data for the first two Fire Emblems were recorded years ago; here is a mirror-thread of such data:

http://forums.feplanet.net/index.php?showtopic=14641

Edited by Celice

Here are the extracted tilesets for the first eight Fire Emblem games, sans metadata:

http://www.mediafire.com/?51conlr56edaarl

The Booty Wawriah and I have also made threads detailing some open resources on the forum, if interested.

I would say you are, however, better off asking VincentASM for wiki permission and migrating your work there.

EDIT: Some miscellaneous data for the first two Fire Emblems were recorded years ago; here is a mirror-thread of such data:

http://forums.feplanet.net/index.php?showtopic=14641

Perhaps I should have clarified more on what I was looking for in tilesets. I was looking for readily insertable GBA compatible stuff, like the tileset data, it's config data, and it's palette, all as BIN files. That way, you can just toss the BIN file into your ROM, point to it, and BAM, it's ready to go.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Arch has a bunch of zip files for different tilesets including all the bin's for most of the important tile sets. If you need other specifics ones I could rip them for you and make a zip.

Arch has a bunch of zip files for different tilesets including all the bin's for most of the important tile sets. If you need other specifics ones I could rip them for you and make a zip.

Yes! That would be desirable. Thank you!

Any idea where I can find Arch's tilesets?

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

tbh everything in the op is already here on Serenes Forest

or most of it at least

Some of it is difficult to find, and there's things like the spellfix patch which I'm sure most people didn't even know existed. Some topics are just labeled "[Person]'s Hacking utilities", which is nice and all, but I'd prefer all the essential utilities be on the same page, directly downloadable, and easier to find.

Can I ask that you guys hold off on linking downloads to my stuff for now? I recently discovered this fancy .s thing which is a million times better so I'm trying to make the switch to that, which will take a bit of time. sorry not sorry

Can I ask that you guys hold off on linking downloads to my stuff for now? I recently discovered this fancy .s thing which is a million times better so I'm trying to make the switch to that, which will take a bit of time. sorry not sorry

Understood.

A commendable effort, but it has been attempted before in many cases (most of which were probably by Arch) and all venues have thus failed. Here be dragons, last warning, turn back before you waste your time further etc.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Good luck.

/I second what Aleph said but more power to you if you actually succeed in completing something and people actually use it.

that won't be very hard to beat thena lot of this comes down to your own abilities and patience for the tedious, e.g. I imagine you're going to need skills with HTML, PHP, and mySQL, at the least, on top of someone to actually compile all this, since otherwise it'll never happen (though having a system where people can automatically submit it themselves [EDIT: like ROMHacking.net, for instance] would be nice). Edited by Blazer

that won't be very hard to beat thena lot of this comes down to your own abilities and patience for the tedious, e.g. I imagine you're going to need skills with HTML, PHP, and mySQL, at the least, on top of someone to actually compile all this, since otherwise it'll never happen (though having a system where people can automatically submit it themselves [EDIT: like ROMHacking.net, for instance] would be nice).

There needs to be some sort of quality control though. But I guess MarkyJoe would act as moderator anyway.

Personally, I'm on the encouragement side rather than the pessimistic side. Most stuff is on Serenes already, but the odd thing does pop up elsewhere. Nothing wrong with putting a new signpost in and trying to safeguard resources for newcomers.

One suggestion though regarding tilesets; have a little info table saying which tileset is what. Both Mappy and Tiled give rather odd labels to the included tilesets, and trying to link eg 'Plains and Castle' to a specific tileset might be a bit difficult. A simple list of [Tileset label as it appears on your site] = [Mappy label] = [Tiled Label] would greatly speed up things for tileset importation.

Just an idea for when the important stuff is done, I'm in no way saying such a side project has to be done now. Or even ever, it's your site.