Super Mario 3D Land Review

Zera

Greetings, folks. Today I am here to review Super Mario 3D Land. As my first 3DS game, It felt a bit underwhelming to me in the wake of all the 9s and 10s it got from nearly every game critic who ever lived. Recently I decided to replay every level in the entire game, just to make sure it wasn't me.

Graphics/Music: Super Mario 3D Land has colorful, clean graphics and smooth animations, but it doesn't have a unique style from other Mario games, instead looking like a 3D version of New Super Mario Bros. The music, however, is downright derivative. Other than the main theme, I can barely think of more than one or two tunes that aren't remixes of older Mario songs. In fact, a couple songs were ripped from Super Mario Galaxy - without any alteration at all. That is straight up laziness. The map music is neat though.

Story/Setting: Super Mario Sunshine and the Galaxy series are among my favorite Mario games, not because they are predictable, but because they are not. They offered unique settings and derived new game mechanics and level designs from them, which kept things interesting.

Now, time for a little quiz: If you haven't/hadn't played this game yet, could you guess the setting of this adventure, the final boss, and the method by which you defeat him?

[spoiler=Answers]If you guessed Mushroom Kingdom, Bowser, and "Bridge destroying button", then you're absolutely right!

Obviously, there is a severe lack of originality. This is a problem, because when I buy a new game, I want something that doesn't just feel like a game I've already played 50 times before.

Gameplay/Value: Despite using a circle pad for movement, Mario's speed does not vary with how much you tilt it. Instead, you can hold the Y Button to run. I understand that SM3DL is supposed to bridge the gap between 2D and 3D Mario, but the only reason the run button existed in the first place was because you cannot vary input with a directional pad. You can only run in 8 directions, but most levels will only have you move in those directions, so SM3DL is easier to play than Super Mario 64 DS.

There are 3 Star Medals to collect in every stage, but they are usually very easy to get, or very close to the path you're on. The levels themselves are very straight forward "A to B" affairs, sometimes to the point where there would be more exploration and secrets in a 2D Mario, which begs the question of why this game even needs to be 3D. This linearity extends to the world map, which has literally been reduced to a straight line.

There are three power-ups in this game. The Fire Flower lets you toss bouncing fireballs, and the Boomerang Suit lets you toss a single boomerang horizontally. The Tanooki Suit lets you perform a spin attack and hover in the air. This hover ability makes platforming much easier, and as a result it makes the Tanooki Suit the superior power-up 90% of the time. Even the most challenging levels in the game become much easier if you have a Tanooki Suit.

With or without the Tanooki Suit, the first few worlds are a total cakewalk once you get used to controlling Mario. The game isn't really challenging at all until World 6 or 7. Once you beat the game however, you unlock the Special Worlds, which are more challenging versions of the regular ones. Some of the Special levels feel too similar to their originals, however, and a couple actually appear twice in the Special Worlds, meaning a single level can take up three slots on the world map. Combining this with the fact that the levels themselves are only a couple minutes long, it's easy to see why SM3DL doesn't have the variety - or content - to fully justify its $40 retail price.

The camera is automatic, and sometimes it will move behind Mario, or into an isometric or top-down perspective. Sometimes, these angles can make it difficult to judge the distance between platforms on the 3DS's small screen. Apparently this is when you're supposed to turn the 3D on. But what if you have an eye condition that makes it difficult to view 3D? What if you just want to play in 2D? What if you're using a 2DS? Some people have said that this is how you integrate the 3D with the gameplay. I just call it a bad camera.

There are only 3 bosses in the entire game.

Conclusion: Super Mario 3D Land is a very polished game, but I really think it's a bit overrated. The first half of the game is too easy, the short, linear levels don't provide the content or replay value I'd like them to, the controls and camera are not perfect, and there are very few things I haven't seen in a previous Mario game.

To put things into perspective, I think Super Mario Sunshine, which released 10 years ago, is superior to this game in 10 different ways:

1. Graphics

2. Music

3. Story

4. Setting

5. Characters

6. Game Mechanics

7. Level Design

8. Length

9. Replay Value

10. Challenge

It's not perfect, it's not a must-buy, and it doesn't exceed the minimum expectations of a Mario game, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun with Super Mario 3D Land.

7/10 Good!

Edited by Zera

I didn't play it much but I liked the game, and the throwbacks it has to earlier Mario games. To me it would be worth more than 7/10, maybe 8/10 at a minimum. It's a delightful mix of SMB and SMB3, with some original elements and 3D gameplay. I wish it had more powerups, though.

Well hopefully Super Mario 3D World in less than 48 hours will be a better game.

I doubt it will be as mind-blowing as Galaxy, but since I don't have a WiiU I won't be finding out anytime soon.

Maybe YOU should review it when it comes out!

Getting the input on a joystick just right, always seems near impossible to me. It usually ends with either running or standing.

So I actually I prefer 3D Land's method of switching between two well designed speeds.

I was really surprised how comfortable this made things compared to any other third person game I ever played.

The lack of bosses is inexcusable, though. And to make matters worse, the Boomers seem to have rather glitchy hitboxes.

And I really wish there was a "replace Tannoki suit with other power ups" mode.

Still, the level design was beautifully diverse. After the last few New Mario bros games, I feared they could only rehash elements but there is tons of new stuff here. Plus, just getting the old stuff work in a 3D game makes it an entirely different beast.

It's definitely my favorite game on the 3DS. Sure, I played more Monster Hunter. But most of that time is spend being wasted on farming and grinding.

3D Land is just pure distilled fun. And unlike Mario 64 and Sunshine, it doesn't send you like half a dozen times through every level.

Well, some of them 3 times but the circumstances are always entirely different.

I loved 3D World, but I'm just wondering. Why did you rate story in a Mario game? The series creator has specifically stated that he doesn't like/put story into Mario games.

I rate story and setting together, because they can and do affect my experience of a game. A game doesn't need an original story or setting to be fun, but there is no denying that they can improve any game. More to the point though, some Mario games actually DO have a bit of story, and to have that one bit of originality evaporate from my Mario games is disappointing.

Super_Mario_Sunshine_page0005.jpg

You'll notice that this manual page from Super Mario Sunshine doesn't mention Bowswer, or Peach getting kidnapped. Right off the bat we start with a fresh setting, new characters, new gameplay mechanics, and what seems to be a different plot entirely. In fact, Mario even gets sent to jail.

Meanwhile, Super Mario Galaxy had a new character, Rosalina, who even had a backstory as revealed in the Comet Observatory's Library. Also, it takes place in OUTER SPACE. Truth be told, I actually thought for a long time that Nintendo would eventually send Mario to space at some point to keep his games fresh. I had no idea how spot on I was though. I was quite pleased to discover that my idea of "Mario in Space" had become a reality, and the game certainly lived up to all the hype.

Super Mario 3D Land introduced the magic of total, absolute predictability. Other than not knowing the layout of the next level, it never surprised me or exceeded my minimum expectations. There was a level made of mattress blocks and bubbles, and one made of cookies, but they were nothing more than reskins of the same floating blocks that the rest of the game is made of. Sunshine and Galaxy incorporated their themes into the gameplay, but these levels did not.

By the way, you may find this interesting:

http://www.negativeworld.org/roundtable/9007/is-miyamoto-interfering-too-much-with-other-teams-games#.Uo6uDsR1_hE

As it turns out, Miyamoto is not a god, and his views aren't necessarily correct.

Edited by Zera

I rate story and setting together, because they can and do affect my experience of a game. A game doesn't need an original story or setting to be fun, but there is no denying that they can improve any game. More to the point though, some Mario games actually DO have a bit of story, and to have that one bit of originality evaporate from my Mario games is disappointing.

Super_Mario_Sunshine_page0005.jpg

You'll notice that this manual page from Super Mario Sunshine doesn't mention Bowswer, or Peach getting kidnapped. Right off the bat we start with a fresh setting, new characters, new gameplay mechanics, and what seems to be a different plot entirely. In fact, Mario even gets sent to jail.

Meanwhile, Super Mario Galaxy had a new character, Rosalina, who even had a backstory as revealed in the Comet Observatory's Library. Also, it takes place in OUTER SPACE. Truth be told, I actually thought for a long time that Nintendo would eventually send Mario to space at some point to keep his games fresh. I had no idea how spot on I was though. I was quite pleased to discover that my idea of "Mario in Space" had become a reality, and the game certainly lived up to all the hype.

Super Mario 3D Land introduced the magic of total, absolute predictability. Other than not knowing the layout of the next level, it never surprised me or exceeded my minimum expectations. There was a level made of mattress blocks and bubbles, and one made of cookies, but they were nothing more than reskins of the same floating blocks that the rest of the game is made of. Sunshine and Galaxy incorporated their themes into the gameplay, but these levels did not.

By the way, you may find this interesting:

http://www.negativeworld.org/roundtable/9007/is-miyamoto-interfering-too-much-with-other-teams-games#.Uo6uDsR1_hE

As it turns out, Miyamoto is not a god, and his views aren't necessarily correct.

Thanks. I find that interesting. While I disagree with you're conclusion about 3D Land's ratings (especially for it's setting), I appreciate all the work and thought you put into your review. Additionally, while the setting of Sunshine was slightly interesting, I did not really enjoy it's platforming aside from the secret hidden levels (the levels where you were you transported to an area with a black background if I recall). It is by far my least favorite Mario platformer.

Your review appropriately highlights how repetitive the game is. Sticker Star is a rather tacky Paper Mario spinoff and there's all those damn New Super Mario Bros. clones out too.

Really, Nintendo?

Thanks. I find that interesting. While I disagree with you're conclusion about 3D Land's ratings (especially for it's setting), I appreciate all the work and thought you put into your review. Additionally, while the setting of Sunshine was slightly interesting, I did not really enjoy it's platforming aside from the secret hidden levels (the levels where you were you transported to an area with a black background if I recall). It is by far my least favorite Mario platformer.

I too liked the void levels of Sunshine, because in addition to looking cool and out of place at the same time, they took away FLUDD for a change of pace and let you listen to a catchy acappella version of the Super Mario Bros theme.

To be honest, I think 3D Land could have been a truly great game if it had more content, or a level editor, or minigames, or multiplayer, or something. I guess what it comes down to is that I expected something a little more ambitious from Nintendo, especially with such a hefty pricetag. If this game actually had 33% more content than Sunshine, then I would truly be impressed.

By the way, a little forum tip: Don't quote the entirety of a large post if it was the last thing posted. And if you do, put it in a Spoiler tag to save space.

Your review appropriately highlights how repetitive the game is. Sticker Star is a rather tacky Paper Mario spinoff and there's all those damn New Super Mario Bros. clones out too.

Really, Nintendo?

Since you liked this review, I should mention that I actually reviewed Sticker Star several months ago.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=40772

I glanced over it and you pointed out the huge problem with Thing stickers and the fact that it's basically a featureless TTYD, which is pretty much the game.

It does have nice music and graphics, I'll give it that, but your 7/10 rating is pretty damn generous.