Bly's topic of stuff

blyegg

Do you have the original, as in, the one that isn't scaled up? I thought I could open it in paint and scale it down but that didn't exactly go as planned.

I may be able to do a couple of edits to show you as a point of reference the angling issues.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give up too easily on mugs. But eh, at least I try on maps.

XRN1Pzs.png

Help.

Was going to be a complex village, but then I realized the corners don't match up very well, so eh. :/

An yeah, this is a joke.

double post!!!11!!!

Anyways, these are some map drafts for a hack I'm a part of. Offer critique, but these aren't really in need of anything atm, since they are, map drafts, after all. But, might as well post them though.

The top is the original map draft, not done by me, the bottom is mine. Don't ask why they're all gigantic.

Chapter1Map-1.png~originalrBMYVYQ.png

TestMap1.png~originalOzAOVOr.png

Chapter3Map-1.png~originalNhm1zmN.png

Chapter4Map.png~original4fvhDWu.png

Chapter5Map-7.png~originalNIx56mU.png

The trees will be fixed when I finalize these maps.

Argh my god, the huge size of the images makes the maps irritating to look at >_<

Let's see...
You seem to have alot of problems with tile spam. I can tell from the huge zoom-in that you're using the same grass tiles for the entire map.
Don't do that. It makes it look very monotonous and boring. You have alot of plain grass tiles in your arsenal - mix them up and it'll look alot more different.
Your woods usually look very rectangular. There also is the issue that you sometimes have thicket in the open with no woods surrounding them. That usually doesn't occur in the GBA games, so I suggest putting forest tiles around them to make it more true to the games.
Snag is also out in the random sometimes. It usually doesn't appear unless you need to cross a river with it, so there's no real point putting it on the map when you have no river nearby.
Sometimes your mountains stop at one point and are out in the open at another. I suggest copying mountains from the games, and maybe edit them a little. That's how I started.
This is a more rarer issue, but your cliffs sometimes are very linear, or use the wrong tiles so their direction just flips around (case in point: map 2)
All in all, I think you just have problems with choosing the wrong tiles in places where there might need to be a different one. That isn't too hard to overcome, though. Keep mapping!
(wow i did not expect this to get so long)

Argh my god, the huge size of the images makes the maps irritating to look at >_<

Let's see...
You seem to have alot of problems with tile spam. I can tell from the huge zoom-in that you're using the same grass tiles for the entire map.
Don't do that. It makes it look very monotonous and boring. You have alot of plain grass tiles in your arsenal - mix them up and it'll look alot more different.
Your woods usually look very rectangular. There also is the issue that you sometimes have thicket in the open with no woods surrounding them. That usually doesn't occur in the GBA games, so I suggest putting forest tiles around them to make it more true to the games.
Snag is also out in the random sometimes. It usually doesn't appear unless you need to cross a river with it, so there's no real point putting it on the map when you have no river nearby.
Sometimes your mountains stop at one point and are out in the open at another. I suggest copying mountains from the games, and maybe edit them a little. That's how I started.
This is a more rarer issue, but your cliffs sometimes are very linear, or use the wrong tiles so their direction just flips around (case in point: map 2)
All in all, I think you just have problems with choosing the wrong tiles in places where there might need to be a different one. That isn't too hard to overcome, though. Keep mapping!
(wow i did not expect this to get so long)

OK, were you critiquing the large maps or the small maps? The large maps aren't even mine, I would never zoom them in. The smaller ones are mine, and I have no idea which maps your comments are pertaining to. ._.

If you send me the .tmx files Bly I would gladly help you out :P

you ignored the maps I did for you for ch4 and 5... ;_;

It's OK, I got it. I don't like people to fix my work unless I absolutely cannot fix it.

wait what, you made them already?

... I can't read properly, I thought all of them were yours. >_>" Really sorry about the mix-up.

Critique goes to the one who made the huge ones, then. Your maps seem to be fine, except the woods, but you're gonna fix those, so.. yeah.

Horray~

Also, new draft map.

Twu8YxH.png

Did I go overboard with stairs?

NOW TIME TO WATCH KAMEN RIDER

EDIT: Here is the not-mine-original that I based it off of:

Chapter6Map-3.png~original

Edited by Blyvern

The stairs in the throne room look unnecessary.

The staircase leading up to the breakable wall looks kind of odd and doesnt really make sense because a castle is man-made. Just replace it with stairs, like on the left side.

On the topic of elevation - because of the wall height, all of the floors look the same height, and you dont want that. Make the outer castle wall bigger (I'd say remove a row from the stairs, add a row to the walls and adjust the pillar size.) and remove the wall tiles on the highest floor entirely.

Also, there are wall parts that have a little shadowed area on the left part of them - use those right to a pillar top. (case in point: outer castle walls, top right treasure chest room)

I personally like the stairs to the throne :P

Add some forest or a path outside too, its a bit bland. Also there seems to be a lot of chests atm, maybe put 2 instead of 4 in the top right room.

Overall, though its a solid map :D

Edited by Haku

The stairs in the throne room look unnecessary.

The staircase leading up to the breakable wall looks kind of odd and doesnt really make sense because a castle is man-made. Just replace it with stairs, like on the left side.

On the topic of elevation - because of the wall height, all of the floors look the same height, and you dont want that. Make the outer castle wall bigger (I'd say remove a row from the stairs, add a row to the walls and adjust the pillar size.) and remove the wall tiles on the highest floor entirely.

Also, there are wall parts that have a little shadowed area on the left part of them - use those right to a pillar top. (case in point: outer castle walls, top right treasure chest room)

I personally like the stairs to the throne :P

Add some forest or a path outside too, its a bit bland. Also there seems to be a lot of chests atm, maybe put 2 instead of 4 in the top right room.

Overall, though its a solid map :D

Thanks, I will keep these in mind when the time comes to remake it.

In the mean time, I got some map restrictions for a map from chat.

However, I decided to familiarize myself with the tileset first, since there isn't too much to work with.

MOasPWa.png

thats about half the map :P

iit's actually 25x20

i will probably expand it to 25x27 or so.

any critique thus far?

Also, I updated my first post with my sprites.

Edited by Blyvern

LnwI7K4.pngiBEnE9S.png

Gosh I'm sorta in a frenzy right now >,<

Any other critique?

Also, I've been told it looks like Father and Son's map.

TSS14B.png

This true?

Edited by Blyvern

You have an height error in the 3 stairs that go to the throne room, they're not the same size

The architects were drunk while designing the castle.

Edited by Naughx