FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

Except only .ogg files have loop point support currently working in the engine and that's not going to change for the forseeable future IIRC. The other two are usable but .ogg is the superior format anyway so just use that.

Actually....

While ogg is notably superior at lower bitrates, there's a region of rough equivalency around 192 kps or so. There's also factors of both the encoding and the system you're listening on - From a pure quality standpoint most people have neither the ears or the equipment to notice the difference. But given that it's the only thing that has loop points if that's what you've said, not much choice.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's try phrasing it this way: If you can imagine it (within reason, of course) and you can draw or code it, you're probably going to be able to do it.

This is based on a computer programming language, and they can be extremely vast in what you can do with them. It's just a matter of whether Yeti and the team are providing support for it from the beginning (via already implemented code systems or in some kind of editor) or whether it would be a feature that would need to be written by the community at a later date.

And, in the specific case of battle frames, considering it's just graphics, that's probably something that's easily replaced. (Now, the default implementation (assumedly how it's set up for 7x) might need to have some code modifications made if the new frame doesn't make use of (or changes the placement of or you don't want to make use of) some of the additional features that go along with it...)

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, yeti gave up, project's dead, no more interest in it. In fact, after working on it for as many years as he has, he deleted all the files off his computer, beat the computer to a pulp with a baseball bat, and then shipped off to join the Vienna Boys Choir.

/jokes

Of course he's still working on it.

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

Nope, yeti gave up, project's dead, no more interest in it. In fact, after working on it for as many years as he has, he deleted all the files off his computer, beat the computer to a pulp with a baseball bat, and then shipped off to join the Vienna Boys Choir.

/jokes

Of course he's still working on it.

gotta say your response would have fit better if you were the first one

at this point you're beating a dead horse

i mean

Edited by Skitty of Time

I'm pretty much impatient to discover this, but I think that's a lot of work. Also, if you need help for a french translation, I'll be glad to help. (but I think it's early for that :p)

Anyway, when do we get news on this? :) (also impatient for Immortal Sword, want to see the next chapter :p)

...'Klok's Juicy Tits'?

Really.

Really?

also

is this alive?

The thread usually doesn't see much activity unless there's a Progress Report posted (which go up on the FE7x site anyway, so you could just check the main site - In fact, I'd recommend the main site or even the Facebook page for more regular information) or someone showcases a screen from the editing tools.

Well if people are looking for updates, here's a sorta tiny but-not-really-because-it's-huge-for-me update.

Yeti added a function to the event editor at my request that allows you to more easily set random variables.

Here's what it might look like in action:

f6a1c5dd292e66cdbd1db1c377c69e0f.png

Roguelike Emblem uses a ton of random things, and it has always been looking more like this:

f74b8edc0064fe974b36a9ae64bea142.png

Fairly straightforward. If it rolls the designated number or lower (On a scale of 1-100) the thing happens. If it rolls above the designated number, the event fails, and the thing doesn't happen. In this instance, the randomness is being used for ballista, with an 85% chance to spawn a ballista on a specific map tile. Easy enough, right? Well, what if you want a more complicated event? Well, you get somethinglike this (With the old method):

10c8850cd5fce3b13d8cedc6a70280ba.png

In this instance, the game rolls the 0-100 RNG, and if it rolls 41 or higher, it fails to obtain the swordreaver and then rerolls for a 30% chance to obtain the swordslayer. If that fails, it rolls for a 5% chance to obtain both. If that fails, you get none of them.

Practically speaking, this system was fine for those, but it had a couple flaws.

1: If you wanted to be sure and make something happen and for that something to have an equal chance of happening for all items involved, it involved complicated nesting and tricky % math.

2. It became really clunky to compute with more and more things happening per value.

For example, let's say I want Amelia from Sacred stones to have an equal chance to become a general, great knight, or a paladin by setting an RNG value to reclass her. Well, it's something to the effect of:

RNG: 33 (General)

If fail

RNG: 66 (Paladin)

If fail

RNG: 100 (Great Knight)

This actually works fairly well, all things considered. It's also fairly easy to event, but it's not so straightforward if you want anything but even values. (There's also a 1% discrepency bias for the GK, since it technically has a 34% higher chance to be picked) There's also the issue that technically, the General has a higher chance to be picked because its value rolls first, even if the percentages look solid. I'd say there's more of a 75-80% chance of getting a General Amelia or a Paladin Amelia instead of a Great Knight Amelia, despite the percentages, simply because the RN's for those two roll first.

So now, instead, you can designate a range, and the engine will pick one value from that range, making something happen. Now, you can say:

Roll 0-99

If 0-33, Make Amelia a General.

If 34-66, Make Amelia a Paladin.

If 67-99, Make Amelia a Great Knight.

See? Much more fair, much less biased, and much easier to compute! The original old method is still superior for quick 50% operations though, don't get me wrong.

That... that took longer to explain than I anticipated, but whatever xD

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

Hey, potentially interested in using this in the future, just popped in to ask a question or two:

Would the standard color limits for GBA games/hacks still be present in FEXNA?

I only ask because I'd like to maybe play around with more detailed tiles and maybe more detailed class animations.

Also, was the possibility of FE10 features such as base conversations or a Library feature?

Hey, potentially interested in using this in the future, just popped in to ask a question or two:

Would the standard color limits for GBA games/hacks still be present in FEXNA?

I only ask because I'd like to maybe play around with more detailed tiles and maybe more detailed class animations.

Also, was the possibility of FE10 features such as base conversations or a Library feature?

The answer to the first question is no.

I'm not sure about the second.

You can do anything you can write out in C#

Honestly you do all that on a rom but it's a lot more difficult since ARM or Thumb or C++ with extensive manual housekeeping

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you can, Yeti added water and earth affinities iirc in FE7x. Also re-echoing what Brendor's already said, you can do literally anything in C#

Edited by Haku

This thread would be a lot smaller if the OP said FEXNA is done by hobbyists on their own free time, meaning it doesn't have a guaranteed release date, and that if you have to ask, the answer is yes FEXNA can do that. it just might be difficult. But probably isn't.

This thread would be a lot smaller if the OP said FEXNA is done by hobbyists on their own free time, meaning it doesn't have a guaranteed release date, and that if you have to ask, the answer is yes FEXNA can do that. it just might be difficult. But probably isn't.

Even if it was explicitly stated within every single post within this topic you'd fine the average dumb-cunt is still going to waddle in and start whining for a release without any sort of consideration toward the developers.

Only thing you can do is just tell them to be patient and then leave it be.

I started to create their own hack on fire emblem 8 and who wants to help me, my skype LIH4444 : ]

Wrong topic, wrong place, mate.

For the most part, no one's going to help you unless you can bring something to the plate. Step up to the tee and do some work yourself and you can potentially get other people to help you from there on, but no one is going to do the hard yards for you.

If you've got ideas, or have a project in mind that you want to discuss, I'd chuck that in this board:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showforum=80

If you have problems that you need fixed or have questions you want answered in regards to ROM hacking, those go here:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showforum=37

it seems that FEXNA can do pretty much do everything, yes EVERYTHING.

However, since it's still under private beta, i'll go on playing with FEXP.

I found FEXP ran very slow if I have ~150 events on the map. Does anyone else have the same problem?...If i'm the only person i guess i really need a new computer