FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now that that shitshow's over

can't speak for anyone else but thanks for trying to help organize the doc, klok

Yeah, I tried to help. Idk why people got so mad. I probably should have asked first but even so, I had hoped people would appreciate a little help.

Good luck with your project in the future! :) Might have to wait a few months, but at least that'll weed out the less dedicated members and leave you with a more hardcore team.

Yeah, I tried to help. Idk why people got so mad. I probably should have asked first but even so, I had hoped people would appreciate a little help.

Good luck with your project in the future! :) Might have to wait a few months, but at least that'll weed out the less dedicated members and leave you with a more hardcore team.

maybe in the future you'll consider not going into the project of another community(ESPECIALLY one as potentially volatile as 4chan), and change things around without permission.

FEXNA looks a little similar to RPGVXAce in terms of its layout.

I actually stopped working on my game in that program simply because I don't have near the amount of skill required in coding to code a Fire Emblem/Tactics Ogre type of system. It'd basically be starting from scratch with no idea what you're doing. It seems like FEXNA at least provides a template and that's kinda why I'm just lurking until the private beta is released.

Take your time until you're satisfied with the product/project Yeti.

Have you tried RPGVXAce Klok? Am I a little on target in terms of how similar FEXNA might be to it (That's not a bad thing at all. Ace was about as noob friendly as a game program can get)?

Mmm... I used Ace, but I mean... I suppose if all you wanted to develop was the type of game Ace was designed for, it's great. Obviously FEXNA is designed from the ground up for making FE games and not much else.

Speaking of Layout... might be time to update the OP's images. Those are looking pretty raggedy...

(Note all screenies are taken with my game because I don't wanna copy the latest 7x build out of the dropbox because that'd be a bunch of MB's wasted.)

94ac735527bc9fae0e50762432644080.png

b39e2bf04a607c645aadfb73f9e1f998.png

5c8417af064b7dedd02d5c1ae54ea2d9.png

e7479f2a5e4d90039dd2e5f5048cde0b.png

fc18aa2d681245acb122148c9d481cb4.png

adb57ef9cc09c18a510fb4029073d96e.png

^In case you don't notice, I'd like to point out that the Tileset tab is far from finished. Just one of the many reasons we can't release publicly yet.

8663dd615a0a4323431bfcf9dec85bf6.png

^This was updated recently so that you could pick the spot on the world map where you wanted your specific chapter 'blip'.

40d53cbf97b7b9d9c53b3e440d76c51c.png

Clicking the "Select on Map" button gives you a new window dialog to pick a spot for your chapter on the world map.

13cc79ff70c396ec76198790cbcd9175.png

This just formats sprites a certain way so they actually works.

8ab19931aed58512c749f0bee59e00e4.png

This is the tab where the text editor and a bunch of other editors are launched from. It's missing a bunch of planned editors at the moment and we plan to add much more to it.

ed755cb4da88e5ef54ddd5cce3e0fc00.png

The event editor, probably not much different from the image in the OP.

111686ffe22b39f14753d81ed5ae97c7.png

The animator, it's still not quite complete, still needs some loving.

The map editor is available here on the forums. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=50953

And that's it so far, not counting the actual coding in the engine itself. Obviously 20k lines have been added or more since the last OP update.

Edited by Klokinator

Awesome. The way the event and animation editor dropdown/look remind me a lot of Ace.

Question: Is there a spell animation editor in place as well? I figure that's one of the things you guys are currently working on, but it never hurts to ask (unless it's already been asked. If it has, my bad :().

But as far as the type of game I wanted to make, it was always Fire Emblem inspired (hence why I spent a month trying to code for such a system (after looking at prototypes on the Ace board) before I realized coding did not come naturally to me and that I was making no headway).

Another Question: How many of those classes come preset with FEXNA (unless that's just Fe7x's classes?) and how many would include working sprites that correspond to those classes?

One More Question: When you've been including skills and seeing how they interact with the engine, how easy do you think it is to code them (as far as getting them to activate and getting the correct effect) on a scale from:

Imbecile,

Idiot (where I'm at),

Average,

Intelligent,

Coding Savant (where I consider you, Yeti, and Skitty)?

Mmm... I used Ace, but I mean... I suppose if all you wanted to develop was the type of game Ace was designed for, it's great. Obviously FEXNA is designed from the ground up for making FE games and not much else.

Speaking of Layout... might be time to update the OP's images. Those are looking pretty raggedy...

(Note all screenies are taken with my game because I don't wanna copy the latest 7x build out of the dropbox because that'd be a bunch of MB's wasted.)

94ac735527bc9fae0e50762432644080.png

b39e2bf04a607c645aadfb73f9e1f998.png

5c8417af064b7dedd02d5c1ae54ea2d9.png

e7479f2a5e4d90039dd2e5f5048cde0b.png

fc18aa2d681245acb122148c9d481cb4.png

adb57ef9cc09c18a510fb4029073d96e.png

^In case you don't notice, I'd like to point out that the Tileset tab is far from finished. Just one of the many reasons we can't release publicly yet.

8663dd615a0a4323431bfcf9dec85bf6.png

^This was updated recently so that you could pick the spot on the world map where you wanted your specific chapter 'blip'.

40d53cbf97b7b9d9c53b3e440d76c51c.png

Clicking the "Select on Map" button gives you a new window dialog to pick a spot for your chapter on the world map.

13cc79ff70c396ec76198790cbcd9175.png

This just formats sprites a certain way so they actually works.

8ab19931aed58512c749f0bee59e00e4.png

This is the tab where the text editor and a bunch of other editors are launched from. It's missing a bunch of planned editors at the moment and we plan to add much more to it.

ed755cb4da88e5ef54ddd5cce3e0fc00.png

The event editor, probably not much different from the image in the OP.

111686ffe22b39f14753d81ed5ae97c7.png

The animator, it's still not quite complete, still needs some loving.

The map editor is available here on the forums. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=50953

And that's it so far, not counting the actual coding in the engine itself. Obviously 20k lines have been added or more since the last OP update.

I'm impressed. I knew FEXNA was going to make games easier to make sort of like an RPGMaker style thing but I didn't realize what it would end up like.

I presume something like this would require custom coding unless Yeti is doing something like it in FE7x that I don't know about, but would it be possible to make magic aoe and hit multiple targets somehow? Kind of like the Shining Force games?

and I presume any custom staves or status effects would need code too huh

Awesome. The way the event and animation editor dropdown/look remind me a lot of Ace.

Question: Is there a spell animation editor in place as well? I figure that's one of the things you guys are currently working on, but it never hurts to ask (unless it's already been asked. If it has, my bad :().

But as far as the type of game I wanted to make, it was always Fire Emblem inspired (hence why I spent a month trying to code for such a system (after looking at prototypes on the Ace board) before I realized coding did not come naturally to me and that I was making no headway).

Another Question: How many of those classes come preset with FEXNA (unless that's just Fe7x's classes?) and how many would include working sprites that correspond to those classes?

One More Question: When you've been including skills and seeing how they interact with the engine, how easy do you think it is to code them (as far as getting them to activate and getting the correct effect) on a scale from:

Imbecile,

Idiot (where I'm at),

Average,

Intelligent,

Coding Savant (where I consider you, Yeti, and Skitty)?

1. The animation editor is also the spell editor. And the skill editor, really anything related to battle animations is in that editor. http://gyazo.com/32edfba7ea20f6315efea202d4c5fa4a

2. The classes in my screenshot are my own version of FEXNA I'm currently labeling "Super FEXNA" which is similar to my original idea for Super FEXP. Basically, I add in every single asset from GBA and release my own standalone version of FEXNA. Yeti's is more basic, mine has... everything. Classes, items, weapons, and since mine will come with my Sacred Contention remake as the example game, it'll also have all the characters from FE6/7/8 in their base stats form.

3. Skills vary. Most of them are easy enough to read and edit, but the more involved ones (Like those that edit terrain attributes or some other obtuse thing) can be a bitch to edit.

4. I'm not a good coder. Not even remotely good, I literally can't code for shit. I'd say it takes at leat average level to use FEXNA decently enough, it has a lower skill ceiling than romhacking in my opinion, especially for the more complicated things like chapter layout, animations, and ESPECIALLY events.

I'm impressed. I knew FEXNA was going to make games easier to make sort of like an RPGMaker style thing but I didn't realize what it would end up like.

I presume something like this would require custom coding unless Yeti is doing something like it in FE7x that I don't know about, but would it be possible to make magic aoe and hit multiple targets somehow? Kind of like the Shining Force games?

and I presume any custom staves or status effects would need code too huh

I've actually asked yeti about AOE magic. Let's just say he linked me to this older video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ITlPI7_bw

I've been planning out my FEXNA game, biding my time until the public release. I don't want it until it's finished, so don't worry about that. Given that I want to have an Awakening-style Support system (Every male supports with every female, possibly with babies involved, and damn that's a lot of work), I'm going to have a godawful amount of writing to do to give supports to everyone. I also notice that in that last batch of screenies, there's what looks like a support/base conversation editor, which is awesome!

My question is: it looks like the Support editor points to a specific (text?) file called, for example, RoyMarcus_C. Is it possible we could know the format of these support conversations, and how to write them beforehand so when FEXNA comes out, it's just a matter of plugging in the right, already completed text file? OR do you instead build/write conversations in the editor itself? in which case I can just write the dialogue beforehand and copy-paste it in.

Hope that makes sense, the more work/planning I can get done before the editor comes out, the better.

Edited by KamenWriter

1. He knows you/you're best friends/you're Myke.

you heard it here first ladies and gentleman, if you legally change your first name to Myke you too have a chance to get access to the FEXNA private beta.

On-topic: those screens, are you sure you even need any experience in rom-hacking? Because that editor looks like the most user-friendly editor I've ever seen.

Things gets more interesting! And if I want to contribute to the engine by translating it into French? I could help for that ^^

I think he'd love it if people did translations when it was in its final version, but jumping in now means any extensive script rewrites or any giant code edits would need a whole new version and you'd have to retranslate. So yeah, wait for the final version on translations.

Sort of piggybacking of of Metakirby, will there be support for special characters like á, æ, and ü?

You can add them yourself. It just uses imagemaps assigned to keys. I'm not sure of the specifics but that was one things that didn't seem supremely difficult to edit.

I've been planning out my FEXNA game, biding my time until the public release. I don't want it until it's finished, so don't worry about that. Given that I want to have an Awakening-style Support system (Every male supports with every female, possibly with babies involved, and damn that's a lot of work), I'm going to have a godawful amount of writing to do to give supports to everyone. I also notice that in that last batch of screenies, there's what looks like a support/base conversation editor, which is awesome!

My question is: it looks like the Support editor points to a specific (text?) file called, for example, RoyMarcus_C. Is it possible we could know the format of these support conversations, and how to write them beforehand so when FEXNA comes out, it's just a matter of plugging in the right, already completed text file? OR do you instead build/write conversations in the editor itself? in which case I can just write the dialogue beforehand and copy-paste it in.

Hope that makes sense, the more work/planning I can get done before the editor comes out, the better.

All the text is handled in this text editor.

76882f5bc982312d5fc416aeecaa2aa5.png

It just looks for "RoyMarcus_C" in this Supports tab here and then loads that when the appropriate conditions are met. If you want a conversation to be formatted properly, just test it in FEXP. FEXP and FEXNA's text systems load text formatted in exactly the same way.

Incidentally, I assume everyone has seen the new Text Previewer feature?

aa1269648758f3c0e6ff12547e9ea374.png

http://gyazo.com/43ebbcd19415f513ece4ade72aad4ccb.png

It doesn't yet have the ability to display character faces but once it's integrated into the main editor's drop down tab, it will. (Just more shit he's gotta do before release.)

On-topic: those screens, are you sure you even need any experience in rom-hacking? Because that editor looks like the most user-friendly editor I've ever seen.

Oh look, it's Saifors! Haven't seen you around in a while. I honestly don't think so, but having experience in any form of game development usually helps you in another form. Get used to using FEXP and FEXNA will be that much easier to use when it's released.

I'm also planning to write a massive tutorial for it, maybe along with contributions from other people, and ideally that will be available -at- release.

Edited by Klokinator

All the text is handled in this text editor.

76882f5bc982312d5fc416aeecaa2aa5.png

This text editor looks really coooool! And seems support mechanism has already been coded! All these look so great!

I'll just play with FEXP and wait for the release of FEXNA. FEXP still looks cool to me, it's actually way more interesting than I expected....

I Really Wanna Use This, Can I have A Beta Copy? Im A Huge FE Enthusiast And I Really Want This Engine Thanks for All The Work Your Putting Into it Man! :D

The answer will likely be no. Currently, those who have the beta have made contributions to the project, developmentally and/or financially. Short of proving you can contribute to the project, I don't think it's likely you'll be getting a copy. Sorry man.

Oh, also: enabling for double attacks with tacked on animations FE11 (and 9 and 10 I guess) style would be cool. It'd require additional spriting to use, but making double attacks, or even attack right after dodging or other special cases, possible would be cool. Make battles flow more, change up the show a bit.

Edited by deranger

I Really Wanna Use This, Can I have A Beta Copy? Im A Huge FE Enthusiast And I Really Want This Engine Thanks for All The Work Your Putting Into it Man! :D

I'm inclined to think this is a troll post. If not... This is the most frequently asked question here, no contest, and considering the thread even says "Private beta" in the title folks tend to find it pretty annoying.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi