FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

public readonly static int TEAMS = 4;

public readonly static int PLAYER_TEAM = 1;

public readonly static int ENEMY_TEAM = 2;

public readonly static int CITIZEN_TEAM = 3;

public readonly static int INTRUDER_TEAM = 4;

public readonly static int[] PLAYABLE_TEAMS = new int[] { PLAYER_TEAM }; // Teams that are human controll

Does this mean that you can set it so you could control the enemy team? So if I made a map and had two people sitting at the computer, we could take turns fighting each other in a local multiplayer?

Also thanks this answers alot of questions

public readonly static int TEAMS = 4;

public readonly static int PLAYER_TEAM = 1;

public readonly static int ENEMY_TEAM = 2;

public readonly static int CITIZEN_TEAM = 3;

public readonly static int INTRUDER_TEAM = 4;

public readonly static int[] PLAYABLE_TEAMS = new int[] { PLAYER_TEAM }; // Teams that are human controll

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, thank you

Also how would you change the source code

I never really did something like that before

Also I assume you would be able to replay and edit maps?

Edited by Roysourboy

That there isn't source code, it's the config data. I just added an item, like so:

public readonly static int[] PLAYABLE_TEAMS = new int[] { PLAYER_TEAM, ENEMY_TEAM }; // Teams that are human controll

If you're asking about actually changing the source code, there are a bunch of files in another folder that all do different things, so it depends on what you're trying to do.

This will be in the guide towards the end, but...

You need a bunch of programs, including Visual Studio, an Integrated Development Environment. When you open FEGame.sln, it looks something like this:

5f93d9a85e8567b56fe6a386e96a6e79.png

Yes I have a tiny monitor. Anyway, that's just the version I have, yours might have a different "feeling". Anyway, all those files on the right, Whatever.cs, are one of the game's code files. If you double-click on one of them, it'll open up that code in the main panel. Edit it there, then press Start and it should save your changes and compile the code for you, then start the game with the edits you made (or you can use the Editor to Compile FEGame and Run FEGame but as long as you're in Visual Studio you may as well run it with that, since it'll give you detailed error reports if you messed up your code)

The rolling of 2 RNs and averaging them instead of using a single RN when determining if an attack hits or misses.

But you clearly knew that.

(it's FEXNA. it's almost certainly GBA-related.)

Does If/Fates have its own particular brand of True Hit?

Good. I like that system.

If by 'true hit' you mean "the enemy's 11% hits are almost guaranteed to hit", then yes.

Yeah the Fates system isn't implemented but it would be pretty easy, instead of

if(Game_System.get_RNG()<battler1.hit)

{stuff}

temp=Game_System.get_RNG();

battler1.unit.team==ENEMY_TEAM ? temp/=4 : temp*=2;

if(temp<battler1.hit)

{stuff}

or something like that

...What... exactly... is going on in the hit calculations for If/Fates..?

(original topic related)

How much effort would it take to..

make the save data accomodate for the different Player-Controlled Teams instead of only saving the data for the "blue" Team?

have a "preparations" screen for each Team that the chapter has?

(potentially combining the screen such that you rally up both teams at once)

(each Team would have their own deployment locations, force deploys, unit lists etc.)

(each Team would not be able to trade between the Teams, both during the map and prep screens)

Or, really, have completely separate Teams each Team functioning like how the army usually does in an FE game, with its own deploy slots, chapter order-- the whole works?

Like, um... after a Chapter the player would pick which Team to follow for the next chapter they do, and some chapters would be locked until certain Teams reached a certain point in their chapter set?

...sorry to be potentially completely wasting somebody's time with silly questions.

I actually ended up looking at that RN Regression project, and the conclusion they came up with over there is that hit rates 50 and below use 1 RN and above uses a weighted 2-RN system. Whatever the specifics, it's easy to code with if-else or ternary things. Just ctrl+f something relevant, or maybe find references for, say, that thing in config that stores how many RNG values the game stores, and edit the code wherever it is.

I'm pretty sure save data already doesn't discriminate by teams. Separating out the prep screen for each team... In my head, I think you would store each team in a separate battalion, and code in an extra argument to the Preparations event that tells it which team it's showing the prep screen for, and that should be all you need.

To make a combined-team prep screen, though, hmm... Yeah no I think you can do that fairly easily, it's just one thing to add, it's just that you need to add it to a bunch of things.

Except for graphically separating them in menus. That'll involve re-coding semi-major portions of the prep screen and is honestly not recommended unless you know what you're doing.

In general though, handling teams in a Gaiden or Radiant Dawn type of way is already implemented--just look at 7x's battalion system. Multiple separate chapters being required in order to progress to another one is also supported by default.

(no problem i'm back at procrastinating on homework lol)

Yeah the Fates system isn't implemented but it would be pretty easy, instead of

if(Game_System.get_RNG()<battler1.hit)

{stuff}

temp=Game_System.get_RNG();

battler1.unit.team==ENEMY_TEAM ? temp/=4 : temp*=2;

if(temp<battler1.hit)

{stuff}

or something like that

I wouldn't want it to be implemented. It's false difficulty. <_< That's why I asked. lol

On topic:

(it's FEXNA. it's almost certainly GBA-related.)

A Base mechanic and Base support conversations aren't exactly GBA material. lol

I really should force myself to go play 7x just to get a better clue of what the utility can do.

Also, I heard that yeti is adding a way to change the screen resolution. Then again, I got this from the reddit page and I'm not quite sure I trust krok about that. (He seems pretty trolly over there, lol)

I don't think Klok is particularly trolly on r/FEXNA, it's just that he hasn't done much stuff with the actual internals of the engine so he might not have as good a sense how difficult things will be to code--he probably has more experience with events, though. I also think he's a little overly optimistic about certain features, but I'm probably just the opposite. As far as I know, to change screen resolution, technically you just modify the field in config. However, you'll have to redo every single piece of the UI, and maybe Klok's seen otherwise, but Yeti hasn't expressed much interest in making that any easier right now.

I do hope he does eventually though.

How hard would it be to add mouse functions to FEXNA, like how the Touch Screen is used in the DS and 3DS Fire Emblem games? To go with it, how hard would it be to have a second portion of the screen? How I imagine it is that it would be the same size as the normal screen, and would have unit and/or map info on it, like 3/DS main series FE.

How hard would it be to add mouse functions to FEXNA, like how the Touch Screen is used in the DS and 3DS Fire Emblem games? To go with it, how hard would it be to have a second portion of the screen? How I imagine it is that it would be the same size as the normal screen, and would have unit and/or map info on it, like 3/DS main series FE.

I'll imagine that you're wanting a DS-type scenario, yes? If so, I can imagine that to be QUITE hard. Like completely reworking the interface (or whatever the real technical term is.)

Extra control methods would be fun. I'd like to use my Xbox controller. But it really depends on rather or not Yeti cares enough for that kind of thing. I doubt very few of us non-programmers could actually figure out how to do it.

I wouldn't want to completely rework the interface, rather remove the need to press "R" to access unit info in order to display that already existing interface beside the main screen. That in itself would probably require quite a bit of coding, even without mouse functionality.

For controllers in general, if anything doesn't already support controllers within itself, XPadder allows you to map buttons to keyboard keys. If it doesn't end up doing that once released, it shouldn't be too hard to do that instead.

Removing skills at base has the same problem as learning them with a scroll. Fix one and you got both.

Adding a separate effective screen is a bad idea on several levels, Yeti won't support the idea. You can do it, though, and it won't even be super "hard", but it's going to be insanely involved and basically if you're asking that kind of question you should probably not bother.

Likewise with mouse controls, those...

[spoiler=Oh right]1d7b913847c2cd6ba2b7d3f96120af21.png

Ah that's really cool that mouse stuff is already possible

The reason I ask "how hard" is because most people say "is x possible?" and the answer is 99% yes, so I want to know what level of difficulty rather than just getting a yes or {super unlikely} no. I'm not talking a second window, however. More of a window extension, but it would effectively be a separate screen as you said.

Yeah and it's a good sign that you're asking "how hard" instead of "can you", but the general sense I get is that you're probably not a professional developer who has experience implementing systems like that, the type of person I estimate would take a week if not more of hard work to do this.

The issue is that you're combining very different systems, several times. The amount of rerouting functions to play nice with each other is going to be insane, not to mention actually synchronizing some of them--and that's on top of getting the UI to work with a taller screen, which is not terribly hard but very terribly tedious.

I mean, yes you can do it, but it will be both hard and tedious, and result in a game that's harder for computers to run, a pain to zoom (things get even more complicated if you try to make it so you can adjust the second screen's position), and not add a ton of benefit, which is why I personally advise against it.

(I mean, I don't mean to sound condescending, but I imagine the type of person I'd feel comfortable saying "I'm not a fan of the idea, but go for it if you really want" to would probably have an idea of how complex it would be but have certain systems in mind that they think might be troublesome and ask how those specifically are handled)

Edited by 47948201

^ Not to mention, the double screen thing is why DS emulators had such an AWFUL time perfecting themselves.

Nice to know there's mouse functionality. Might be better than using the keyboard. Whoa wait, you just mentioned a zoom function? I could have used that when I was playing FE7x...better look at the options next time. <<

Edited by BlueLeafeon

So if there is no skill removal

What happens when you learn a 5th skill? Do you not learn it? Is it there but it doesn't show on the skill screen? Does it forget the skill you have had the longest? What would happen if you had 4 skills and equipped a weapon with a skill attached to it?

Thanks for the answers and explanation. Does sound like it's just more work for stuff that's already there in R menus and such. When I get to making a game I'd likely not be needing to modify the engine a lot, so if extending the display is that much of a hassle then it just seems like a waste of time. I'll probably screw around with a lot of stuff, even then.

Removing skills at base has the same problem as learning them with a scroll. Fix one and you got both.

Adding a separate effective screen is a bad idea on several levels, Yeti won't support the idea. You can do it, though, and it won't even be super "hard", but it's going to be insanely involved and basically if you're asking that kind of question you should probably not bother.

Likewise with mouse controls, those...

[spoiler=Oh right]1d7b913847c2cd6ba2b7d3f96120af21.png

Hmm so the skill issue seems in regards to how the data is stored. If class skills are present then I presume that there is a method of assignment.

Additionally as personals are handled (at least in your project) separately that means that there is a separate storage for that.

The real question thus becomes where is the base skill data stored? If each is defined separately in the respective class data then it would be a tough problem to fix,

However if the skills are stored as independent variables that can be called on when needed it should in principal be possible to create separate lists of skills as arrays that could then be added together right?

That should allow you to store a skill list for each character equipped and unequipped with the possibility to alter the stored files with a command that flips one value for a new value respectively .

The problem then would be updating the class to respond to the altered changes. of course everything depends on the format that Yeti uses for storing data... I am also not familiar with XNA so that means this speculation could all be pointless it is in C# right so it should be object oriented...