FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

Oh yeah you can already zoom, it's in the global game options whatever thingy from the main menu.

You can have any number of skills, but I think only a certain number will show in the window. Weapon/item skills don't show up in the skills pane... It's not something I'm fond of, I'd much rather it have a scrollbar so you can R into it then scroll up and down, but Yeti's stance is that you shouldn't have a unit with that many skills and weapon/item descriptions should be sufficient for describing the skill effect...or something. I dunno, I'll try bringing it up again if I remember.

Yeah do definitely mess around with stuff, it's fun and you can learn a lot. But setting into this with a really solid idea of such a complex systems change, unless you're really really comfortable with this stuff, probably won't end well.

Base skill data is entirely separate, and characters/classes/items just reference to that, which is why it's not troublesome to give both Mercenaries and Shamans Focus. I think they're technically in a hash table, but what you said about arrays is the idea.

But what points to skills is the characters/classes; skills don't point to characters/classes. That's why it would probably be the actual actor data you'd want to deal with, but it's all stored in a separate file and just referenced from there. Probably the easiest way to make learnable skills is just add a secondary list to characters in save data and not mess with actual actor data, then make their full ingame list be a combination of the three rather than the two. Come to think if it, it doesn't sound terribly hard other than dealing with saving data, but I'd assume that would be pretty automated, so...I'm not sure what the problem was. Next time I see Yeti I'll ask about that too.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah you can already zoom, it's in the global game options whatever thingy from the main menu.

You can have any number of skills, but I think only a certain number will show in the window. Weapon/item skills don't show up in the skills pane... It's not something I'm fond of, I'd much rather it have a scrollbar so you can R into it then scroll up and down, but Yeti's stance is that you shouldn't have a unit with that many skills and weapon/item descriptions should be sufficient for describing the skill effect...or something. I dunno, I'll try bringing it up again if I remember.

Yeah do definitely mess around with stuff, it's fun and you can learn a lot. But setting into this with a really solid idea of such a complex systems change, unless you're really really comfortable with this stuff, probably won't end well.

Base skill data is entirely separate, and characters/classes/items just reference to that, which is why it's not troublesome to give both Mercenaries and Shamans Focus. I think they're technically in a hash table, but what you said about arrays is the idea.

But what points to skills is the characters/classes; skills don't point to characters/classes. That's why it would probably be the actual actor data you'd want to deal with, but it's all stored in a separate file and just referenced from there. Probably the easiest way to make learnable skills is just add a secondary list to characters in save data and not mess with actual actor data, then make their full ingame list be a combination of the three rather than the two. Come to think if it, it doesn't sound terribly hard other than dealing with saving data, but I'd assume that would be pretty automated, so...I'm not sure what the problem was. Next time I see Yeti I'll ask about that too.

Ah that answers my question I was wondering that sounds like it should work as it can't be too hard to add multiple lists now display might be difficult(and involve images) but that is another story.

There is a potential limitation that I can see that might be related is that if the units data doesn't get updated (i.e. saved) then say problems could arise as they might have the skill but not display IDK.

I'm still curious as to why altering the window size is problematic, though I'm sure I'll see why if once I'm able to adjust that. Is it that overlay stuff {i.e. unit name/HP/inventory boxes and tile info} is set to specific parts of the screen rather than to the edge of the screen?

Is Canto already in the game as an ability of mounted units or does it have to be made a skill?

it is already in the game/engine as a skill.

I'm still curious as to why altering the window size is problematic, though I'm sure I'll see why if once I'm able to adjust that. Is it that overlay stuff {i.e. unit name/HP/inventory boxes and tile info} is set to specific parts of the screen rather than to the edge of the screen?

Regardless of which way it's measured, they're of a specific size.

For example, the battle overlays are half the screen's default width. If they're anchored center, then you'd get empty space on the new edges.

But even if they're anchored on the edges, you get empty space in the middle.

In both cases, you would probably have to readjust something else in order to make it not look odd (e.g. the template itself to accomodate for the space between the two).

I doubt that it would be truly "problematic"-- simply involved and requiring a lot of time and decisions.

Yeah if you get it to read multiple lists for gameplay then display should be done the same way--it's storing them that's the issue, but once you've got that, reading is easy. (EDIT: at least, that's my guess. Still haven't consulted Yeti about it)

Yeah both Canto and Strafing/Attack Canto/Canto+ exist separately already, with the latter allowing you to move after attacking, not just using items or visiting houses or such.

Eliwan's got it right for why it's a pain to change the window size. Just ask Maritisa, the number of UI things that need to be fixed for just making the screen ~8 pixels taller will amount to days and days of annoying (but not too conceptually challenging) work.

(EDIT: Well what Eliwan said is more relevant to just expanding the existing screen, but what you said adds to why making a second effective screen difficult--many different parts of windows have their positions or sizes based on where they are in relation to the edges of the screen)

Edited by 47948201

Oh dear. The screen is big enough for me, and that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'm also getting the sense you can't just put an imaginary line down the center of the window and be able to have FEXNA read that as an edge for anchoring on either side. Either that, or, even with that, things in relation to other things would have to be rewritten quite a bit.

You can (EDIT: and if you do this, should) do that, but you basically need to rewrite every piece of code that expects that to be the edge of the screen.

(And this is just for expanding the screen, never mind getting stuff to happen on both sides simultaneously)

Edited by 47948201

Yeah. At this point I'm just patiently waiting for the opportunity to dink around with it, and trying to come up with a story that would fit this game style. Really, big thinking is what's gotten me into trouble with game making. I've had these idea floating around my head that are just too big for my current ability {basically nada aside from basic Unity and Java}. Thanks for the answers on that topic!

Yeah that's an unfortunately common issue, but I think the solution is somewhat obvious~

Hiding skills, kiiinda. You can make a skill not have a displayed icon/name, but players can still R-info it. You can attach it to a weapon/item since they don't add skills to the ingame display list. If neither of those options are your cup of tea, you'll either have to add a field in skill data or hardcode some exceptions, neither of which are terribly hard but the former is tedious and the latter takes a bit of looking around the code.

The biggest problem with the screen size for me is how super tiny the normal GBA portraits look in comparison to everything else. I don't have the skill to make quarter-bodies like Yeti does to compensate for it. Everything else I can work with.

Will there be an option to make crits have a chance to miss? It could be kinda fun.

And also, will the new classes introduced in Fe7x be available as DLC for FEXNA?

Edited by Nikitaw99

Will there be an option to make crits have a chance to miss? It could be kinda fun.

And also, will the new classes introduced in Fe7x be available as DLC for FEXNA?

With how the equation system for FE is set up, this is basically impossible. The RNG calcs hit chance first, followed by crit chance if successful and unobstructed by Pavise, Aegis, or Dual Support, if FEXNA will support the latter. As for your other question, I see no reason for them not to be available in the basic version.

Will there be an option to make crits have a chance to miss? It could be kinda fun. not as a built-in option but it's very easy to code

And also, will the new classes introduced in Fe7x be available as DLC for FEXNA? noooobody knows

EDIT: also Yeti just confirmed learnable skills should work basically like I said before

Edited by 47948201

With how the equation system for FE is set up, this is basically impossible. The RNG calcs hit chance first, followed by crit chance if successful and unobstructed by Pavise, Aegis, or Dual Support, if FEXNA will support the latter.

Doesn't mean FEXNA has to do it that way.

Yeti generally doesn't like source code being distributed, but this part is super simple and of course there's the standard disclaimer about how everything is subject to change (dual rng didn't used to be its own function but it's been cleaned up since then and may be cleaned even more) so:

0bb0d4e5152c319f1012526f37c7bf20.png

So yes, making criticals miss would be an edit to one line.

I can't answer either of those definitively--the Editor definitely has space for multiple promotions, but I haven't seen them in action. Triangle attack seems like something that should be added officially, especially since it would be part of GBA-FEXNA conversion, but if it's not, hopefully someone will put it in.

Mouse and touch features are planned, there's no reason to have a PC game that you can't play with a mouse. 360 controllers are already supported, but because of XNA "limitations" other controllers apparently aren't, so I'll have to deal with that

Extra skills beyond the 4th would not show up in the list but would still obviously effect the unit. You could implement something like PK suggested with a scrolling list, or change the skill icon size to fit more in the list (I'm considering doing this for unrelated reasons). Hidden skills is not something I had planned and not really something I support; it smacks of hiding information from the player

Missed attacks still rolling crit for their animation is something I'm planning to add, I like the idea of an enemy starting their crit animation not being a guarantee they'll hit and the suspense that comes along with that change.

Triangle attacks will exist, 7x has a peg trio.

Questions, will FE5 Capture be possible/toggable?

Will FEXNA feature it's own map maker, or do you still need to make maps via other programs?

Will Pair up be available/toggable?

These questions were probably asked earlier, but I'm too lazy to read the whole thread