FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I have another question, this time regarding promotions. Would it be possible to have a class promote with two different items, and depending on said item turn into different classes, like for example, a Priest uses a Guilded Ring to promote into a Bishop or Sage, but can also use a Knight's Crest to promote into a War Monk(with axes like in awakening). Or as another example, a Myrmidon uses a Hero's Crest to promote into a Swordmaster, or Hero, and then also can use a Fell Contract to promote into an Assassin.

I found it to be an intriguing concept, and was wondering if it could be done. I've actually thought of a lot of ideas for how it could be used.

...consolidate all three Anima weapon types into a single weapon rank, while retaining the Fire>Wind>Thunder>Fire triangle?

Change all anima tomes to primary weapon type "anima", secondary weapon type fire/thund/wind. All weapons can have either one or two weapon types, and both are counted for the weapon triangle (for example, light brand has WTA against runesword)

I also have another question, would it be possible to add a new unit type, like Cavalry, Armored, and Mage. As to add weapons that do effective damage on that unit type. Like having a Sword that is like a Theives' Bane (that does effective damage on Theives, Brigands, Rouge, Ect.)

I know I have a ton of questions, and for that I am sorry, but I have two questions regarding Chapters. Would it be possible to make scenes play out, that are considered part of the chapter, but happen either before battle preparations, or after the battle is won, For example Re-creating the Sacred Stones Prologue scene including the Valter vs. Seth fight. My other question is would it be possible to make a chapter repeatable, like Sacred Stones Skrimishes, and Tower and Ruins.

^yes

the world map is more Fates style but chapters don't disappear from the list when you complete them. There's not really any feature for skirmishes--you could pseudorandomize enemies on chapters, but the way the chapter select is set up, exp/items from those battles won't carry into other chapters...I think? There might be a really creative way to make the chapter tree, but I don't have a ton of experience with that.

You can make a single chapter 6 battle maps in a row without preparations or entirely scene maps or anything inbetween.

(I don't mind questions, it gives me something to do for a couple minutes as I procrastinate on other stuff |D )

Whoa whoa whoa wait a minute, does that mean that stats don't carry over between chapters at all, or...? Because that kinda kills a bit of the fun of slowly building up your team as you progress through the game.

Also, how easy is it to have the game remove options from the battle select menu as you clear chapters? For my projects, I'd want the main story chapters to work how they do in official installments, being playable only once per playthrough, so I'd wanna have those maps be removed from the menu once they're completed.

As I said I know I've got way too many questions, but You said that the Maps are fates styled, would it be possible to make a Sacred Stones style world map (With the chapters disappearing once completed.) This is why I asked about Skirmishes, and Tower of Valni like maps by the way, because the project I have in mind for FEXNA would likely require a map similar to that of SS. So would the Repeatable chapter feature be mandatory like FE7x, or could it be turned off so that you can't go backwards in Chapter progression. Would their also be the option of Birthright like Grinding with going back to completed maps and fighting monsters, or bandits to get some extra XP?

whoa whoa erm no not at all

here bloop

Here, I think an example might help:

5d82b9a8e10f425c616d9ef6b651a110.png

Here's a linear chapter diagram, AKA the type that most FE games would use. With this, save data follows the line: you complete Chapter 1, and all your battalion (the units you've recruited), convoy, ranking, etc. data carries into Chapter 2, and so on. If you replay Chapter 1, you can overwrite your Chapter 1 data, allowing you to use that data the next time you play Chapter 2.

However, say you wanted to do something like Lyn Mode, where Chapters 1-4 use different units than 5+, and the earlygame's units join in Chapter 7. You could mark Chapter 5 as Stand-alone, meaning no data carries over from previous chapters--however, then you would set Chapter 7 to be dependent on data from Chapter 4 and Chapter 6, which would make it load those earlygame units' data--on subsequent playthroughs of chapters, if the player wanted to change their earlygame units, they would have to replay chapters 1-4 and then 7+ to make them load in correctly. Compare the alternative solution of loading unit data into every following chapter, where the player would have to replay chapters 5-6 as well to do this.

b05f174d2a627d2633a7183b2463615a.png

Here's a diagram with a Gaiden chapter, Xenologue 1. It's unlocked after completing Chapter 5, where the player can then see both Chapter 6 and Xenologue 1 in the chapter select screen. If they go straight to Chapter 6, their data carries into it like normal; if they play Xenologue 1, even after they play Chapter 6, then whatever additional units/items/levels are gained there can be loaded when replaying Chapter 6, or playing it for the first time of course.

2c7faa2f24cc7fba398f7c16259ee4e2.png

Here's a route split. When you clear Chapter 5, you unlock Chapter 6 and Xenologue 1 (obviously you can rename them to whatever you like, as long as some technical stuff that doesn't show up ingame isn't the same) When starting Chapter 10, unlocked after you complete either Chapter 9 or Xenologue 4, it will load that chapter's data--if you've completed both, I'm pretty sure you'll be given the option of which chapter's save data you want to load into it.

95602f0073b8c7715bd77c5dcf7fb2e3.png

Here's an interesting one that takes advantage of the Battalion system: when you complete Chapter 4, you unlock Chapter 5 and Xe1; Chapter 5 will continue along with Chapter 4's units, but Xenologue 1 uses a separate battalion--but you still have to complete Chapter 4 to unlock it. Then, Chapter 6 requires both Chapter 5 and Xenologue 1 to be completed, and can load units from both battalions. This is a bit of a freer route split, sorta like FE2's.

2bbe6a7042f40a2c75f6cd3f3026abbf.png

Now, here's the problem with skirmishes. Say you unlock a skirmish for each outdoor map upon completion, which you can play at any time. However, if you complete Chapter 5, then Xenologue(Skirmish) 1, then Chapter 6, the data from the skirmish won't carry into Chapter 6--if you make it so that it does:

96331cf69faecfe8aa92cb3e83725db1.png

This is basically the Gaiden system. Starting Chapter 6 allows you to use data straight from Chapter 5 or from Xenologue 1, but there's no way to backpedal--if you want to complete Chapter 6, then play Xenologue 1, you'd have to define Chapter 6 as a potential prior chapter to Xenologue 1, which results in:

8c61cf2f10e19ce7e0116bf25f525818.png

a cut-off error. Uh yeah I guess the text will be fixed, but the point is, chapters can only be played in an ultimately linear fashion (that is, Birthright-style grinding is also a no-go) at the moment. It's possible it'll be expanded sometime after release, but that might have to be done by a third party since it's not in FEXNA's current plans.

(I actually didn't know any of this before, so I can only 99% guarantee it's correct--I learned a lot today, but prior to now I've never used anything beyond a linear chapter structure so I'm definitely no master on the subject)

Edited by 47948201

In a separate post because wow that previous post also it's not quite related to the same train of thought I was using that music throughout |D

As for not allowing the player to replay chapters, I'm looking at Scene_Worldmap.cs and it doesn't seem terribly hard, though I could be wrong. It'll take some know-how, but it's much more doable-looking than adding grinding.

EDIT: so it turns out Classic mode disables replaying chapters from the map select screen in general, it just skips that whole worldmap scene and goes straight from chapter to chapter.

Edited by 47948201

Ahhh, I see! That's... actually really cool. Not being able to have grinding isn't really too big a deal for me, honestly, since most of what I have in mind is sorta more classic-styled, anyhow.

I am curious, though; does the engine, as it is now, support those little chapter intro map scenes? Y'know, the ones with the opening narration and the little unit sprites and arrows and stuff moving around on the world map to illustrate events? Because those were really cool and are definitely on my "To Include" list.

Edited by Topaz Light

You mentioned a Battalion System, does that mean that you could do what Radiant dawn did (and to a point Sacred stones too) and have different armies that could at some point join together, and move apart, Because If so that sounds amazing. You could probably even program Sacred Stones Eirika and Ephriam route to be played at the same time and converge at Scorched Sands.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the Forum here and have been lurking on this thread for up to I believe 2 years and I love the progress that is being made and can't wait to play with the engine. As a CS Major in college it has me giddy with excitement..... anyway this has probably been answered but how far does the game play mechanics go in the base engine of FEXNA? I mean by that does it include everything up to Fates or Awakening or will that have to be hard coded by ones own doing?

Thanks for the responses and help, Good luck Yeti and Great Work thus far

~Ryan

It's styled after the GBA titles, with some newer things such as Skills implemented on top of that. It won't have Pair Up and stuff by default, but that can be coded in if you want.

Just what I was hoping :) thanks for the information

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I've got a few questions too.

I understand that "with coding, all things are possible" but I'm wondering how easy it would actually be to implement the following features:

Day/Night cycle, basically where every turn represents an hour on an in-game clock with Fog of War setting in after dark.

Repairable weapons, where instead of a bronze sword having 50 uses before it breaks automatically, it would have thirty uses but could be repaired by a blacksmith between battles.

Reclassing. I would like to make it so that any character could choose a different class by use of different items, similar to how you can get Dread Fighter or Bride in Awakening.

I'm thinking of making a game with FEXNA when it comes out, but I'm more of a storyteller and less of a programmer. I'm kind of new here, so any help with this query would be appreciated.

Day/Night can be evented pretty easily, but somewhat tediously maybe? You'd have a variable for time, and each turn it goes up by 1 and if it's less than an amount and more than another amount it's night and if it's 25 set to 0 or whatever yeah you can do a lot with that.

Repairing weapons I think exists in 7x?

That style of Reclassing is something Klok wants, no word on if it'll be officially implemented. If not, it'll be somewhat hard to code but not insane.

Day/Night can be evented pretty easily, but somewhat tediously maybe? You'd have a variable for time, and each turn it goes up by 1 and if it's less than an amount and more than another amount it's night and if it's 25 set to 0 or whatever yeah you can do a lot with that.

Repairing weapons I think exists in 7x?

That style of Reclassing is something Klok wants, no word on if it'll be officially implemented. If not, it'll be somewhat hard to code but not insane.

Thanks. This helps a lot.

Any idea on whether or not now would be a good time to start preparing for an FEXNA project? I understand that nobody (or at least nobody outside of the project development) knows when this is coming out but I don't want to start publicizing my project too early. I've seen several other projects that began a few years ago when FEXNA was first announced but a lot of them have kinda... fizzled out.

A question on the Battalion System, would it be possible to do a path split at like the prologue, then have those paths converge at Chapter 9 or so. With one path having a Gaiden chapter. Also once the battalions converge would they be able to separate again, and even better, would you be able to chose which units go into which battalion, like not the programmer, but the player.