FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

(For other peoples' reference, so long as you're using any FE assets in your FEXNA game, it's basically a derivative work and subject to the will of Big N. If you replace all the graphics/sound with your own and make engine edits such that your game is mechanically distinct (there's no real hard line for this, legal stuff is really fuzzy, but I guess if SRPGS is safe, making your game function rather like that should probably be fine) from FE, you should be more or less in the clear. But as Myke says, it's worth considering whether you really want to be using FEXNA if you're going to go through all that. (I say yes, but your mileage will vary))

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, IPFailz said:

Will this ever be out of private beta? :p

When it's pretty much complete, I'm guessing.

It is a bit of a shame though since it indirectly has made me lose all enthusiasm for GBA hacking (my mindset has been "Don't bother with romhacking, just wait for XNA -- it'll probably be out in 12-18 months; where I'd just re-create it all anyway with added flexibility and ability for me to program". And that was 3 or 4 years ago. The problem is that it's hard to drop that mindset. Otherwise, dummy projects only feel worth doing (Romhacking isn't difficult, but it's time consuming and has limitations). There's no entitlement here of course -- we just have to be patient (it's not like we cannot make our own fangames through other methods as well - FEXNA is a convenience tool if anything). It will be worth the wait -- and I hope BwdYeti will get the recognition for it that they deserve (it should be a massive leap forward for the fangame community).

I understand the reasoning for the delay though. They don't want to fall into a pitfall where they would need to keep updating while many people are using it -- likely causing issues or people vocally complaining that X or Y feature isn't there yet or something is broken etc... They just want to finish it and be done with it without any fuss. That's understandable. Providing it to specific people (or at least, more people than they'd like) is a risk as well since that will just make more people feel entitled to receive it.

On 7/12/2017 at 11:01 AM, DLuna said:

When it's pretty much complete, I'm guessing.

It is a bit of a shame though since it indirectly has made me lose all enthusiasm for GBA hacking (my mindset has been "Don't bother with romhacking, just wait for XNA -- it'll probably be out in 12-18 months; where I'd just re-create it all anyway with added flexibility and ability for me to program". And that was 3 or 4 years ago. The problem is that it's hard to drop that mindset. Otherwise, dummy projects only feel worth doing (Romhacking isn't difficult, but it's time consuming and has limitations). There's no entitlement here of course -- we just have to be patient (it's not like we cannot make our own fangames through other methods as well - FEXNA is a convenience tool if anything). It will be worth the wait -- and I hope BwdYeti will get the recognition for it that they deserve (it should be a massive leap forward for the fangame community).

I understand the reasoning for the delay though. They don't want to fall into a pitfall where they would need to keep updating while many people are using it -- likely causing issues or people vocally complaining that X or Y feature isn't there yet or something is broken etc... They just want to finish it and be done with it without any fuss. That's understandable. Providing it to specific people (or at least, more people than they'd like) is a risk as well since that will just make more people feel entitled to receive it.

Don't let perfection be the enemy of good. If he thinks it could be released in a state that isn't too buggy and improves upon the other methods of fan made games as it sits right now, he should release it. How long do you think that AAA developers would have to delay if they felt that there would have to be no bugs before a release? A very long time, in a place known as Development Hell. And even then, they won't get everything. Yeti is also focusing just as much on his fan project, but maybe he should focus more on the engine, as the engine is more important than the game itself if it all works.

22 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Don't let perfection be the enemy of good. If he thinks it could be released in a state that isn't too buggy and improves upon the other methods of fan made games as it sits right now, he should release it. How long do you think that AAA developers would have to delay if they felt that there would have to be no bugs before a release? A very long time, in a place known as Development Hell. And even then, they won't get everything. Yeti is also focusing just as much on his fan project, but maybe he should focus more on the engine, as the engine is more important than the game itself if it all works.

22 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

the engine is more important than the game itself

Google translate tells me this means "Fuck ur crappy fe7 prequel i want 2 maek mein game FE6.5 but hacking is 2 hard cant change lord stat"

EDIT: I just realized I was pretty bitchy about it; I apologize.

Edited by Kirb1337

3 minutes ago, Kirb1337 said:

Google translate tells me this means "Fuck ur crappy fe7 prequel i want 2 maek mein game FE6.5 but hacking is 2 hard cant change lord stat"

If I really felt that way, I would've made it in shitty FEXP instead because I'm impatient. There are a lot of people who think like that, but it seems as though he's trying to hard to put on the ritz when the kinks have already been worked out. It seems as though he's trying to make it so that he will never have to modify it when he knows that's inevitable.

From a pseudo-communistic perspective, the engine is more important. But keep in mind which came first: the engine serves the game, because the game is what resulted in the engine needing to be made. At the end of the day, Yeti's primary goal is to create his own game, and the engine is a result of the game creation process that he'll share to get more use out of it. But because of this, features that would be important for general use but are totally irrelevant for FE7x tend to be lower priority. If someone doing something Yeti wouldn't do results in a crash, then that'll be fixed straight away because it reveals a weakness in the engine that should be patched. But stuff like the event editor revamp that will IMHO be pretty much necessary for beginners to start figuring the program out at a decent speed, are lower priority than whatever directly relates to the next 7x feature. They'll be put in, of course, but they're not as pressing of an issue at the moment.

And with that said, yeah, a big part of it is also making it as hard-to-break as possible, because once it's public, each bug will be multiplied by the number of people who become aware of it, so keeping that number as low as possible will make things exponentially more manageable.

Edited by 47948201

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Then go ahead and use Paint! I still use Paint for sprites a lot of the time. It gets a bad rap, but it's actually a perfectly acceptable program, so you shouldn't feel bad using it. There's nothing that can be done in other raster image programs that can't also be done in Paint.

11 hours ago, 47948201 said:

Then go ahead and use Paint! I still use Paint for sprites a lot of the time. It gets a bad rap, but it's actually a perfectly acceptable program, so you shouldn't feel bad using it. There's nothing that can be done in other raster image programs that can't also be done in Paint.

The only problem with modern MS Paint is the lack of palettes. Even if you personally make it 16 colors only, it still saves in 24-bit color, rendering it incompatible. However, you can still put it through IrfanView or Usenti, and reduce the colors to 16. So if you use Paint, I'd suggest using an additional program for color reduction.

Kinda? If you're using something like FEditor for battle animation processing then it should be making new images to insert which are properly paletted as long as you don't mess with them.

...That said... omg... I think that might've been the issue I had all those years ago with map sprites! Man, that's not something I expected to find an answer for here. So yeah, if you're doing custom map sprites or title screens or stuff like that, unless buildfiles fixed this, Paint probably won't be your one-stop-shop program. But since the question was about battle sprites and animations, I still think it's plenty adequate.

• 1 month later...

Well...thanks for info

Too bad because i want create my own FE game (preference on PC because must read many pages for learning about romhack i'm smart enough but not too much)

I wanted a FE creator program more simplist and less messy (I have FEXP but see the thing...i really need practice and times)

17 hours ago, Baby Bonnie Hood said:

But I imagine it'll be all worth it since you could probably do all kinds of things with it that you can't do with just romhacking.

You can do just about anything you want with romhacking, If you take the time to learn.

On 2/1/2018 at 1:03 PM, Kirb1337 said:

You can do just about anything you want with romhacking, If you take the time to learn.

This. The only thing FEXNA will really do is put all the tools together in one place.

Edited by GamerX51