FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

It's less a 'ROM hack' and more "lots of people got really excited about making something and being able to properly contribute to the community".

The real question to be asked is: is there a way that we (or a single someone, at least) could get a copy of it so that we can begin hammering away and hoping for the best? The current fear is that interest in the project will die if we don't start proper work on it (beyond making mugshots, battle spritesheets, etc.), and FEXNA looks like one of the most effective and useful tools for that. The fact that it is in Private Beta, however, means that it would be difficult to work on something like this unless it was allowed to be used as of right now.

Thank you for your understanding in-advance!

Here's a silly hypothetical question. Why would Yeti give FEXNA, a project that, counting his work on FEXP, has taken him more than 6 years to get to the almost-completed point he's at now, to a group of people he literally doesn't know who also frequent a 4chan board? Not only would he be ignoring his friends in the community, as well as other people who are known to be competent developers (Ie: Alfred Kamon, Blazer, etc) but he would be giving FEXNA to a bunch of people who frequent a 4chan board, which is known for anonymously spreading around secret files/information. He'd have no reason to trust that you wouldn't publicly leak FEXNA to the public before it's ready.

For him, that's the most important thing. He has a full release planned for the engine, and it will be released eventually. Yet constantly people keep begging him to release it ahead of time. And now you're asking for permission to just... have it early? I can't speak for Yeti, he does crazy things sometimes, but I see no reason why he would accept, and that's being for real right now. Maybe, if it was Alfred Kamon or Blazer asking, he might consider it, but some random people from a 4chan board, exceptionally unlikely.

P.S. I've been hammering away at design docs for Phoenix Saga for over three years now. If my ideas can last three years and your project can't even last one before people get bored and give up, I doubt it had the tenacity to last into a completed project anyway, no offense. If you want my honest opinion, I say go start making your project on FEXP. The experience you gain from that endeavour will help you out when FEXNA is released, as FEXP is fairly close to FEXNA when it comes to a variety of things. Moreso than romhacking, anyway.

Edited by Klokinator

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a silly hypothetical question. Why would Yeti give FEXNA, a project that, counting his work on FEXP, has taken him more than 6 years to get to the almost-completed point he's at now, to a group of people he literally doesn't know who also frequent a 4chan board? Not only would he be ignoring his friends in the community, as well as other people who are known to be competent developers (Ie: Alfred Kamon, Blazer, etc) but he would be giving FEXNA to a bunch of people who frequent a 4chan board, which is known for anonymously spreading around secret files/information. He'd have no reason to trust that you wouldn't publicly leak FEXNA to the public before it's ready.

For him, that's the most important thing. He has a full release planned for the engine, and it will be released eventually. Yet constantly people keep begging him to release it ahead of time. And now you're asking for permission to just... have it early? I can't speak for Yeti, he does crazy things sometimes, but I see no reason why he would accept, and that's being for real right now. Maybe, if it was Alfred Kamon or Blazer asking, he might consider it, but some random people from a 4chan board, exceptionally unlikely.

P.S. I've been hammering away at design docs for Phoenix Saga for over three years now. If my ideas can last three years and your project can't even last one before people get bored and give up, I doubt it had the tenacity to last into a completed project anyway, no offense. If you want my honest opinion, I say go start making your project on FEXP. The experience you gain from that endeavour will help you out when FEXNA is released, as FEXP is fairly close to FEXNA when it comes to a variety of things. Moreso than romhacking, anyway

This whole post seems kinda silly to me. It's not like he's LOSING anything by "giving" it to anyone. And I really don't see how people being from 4chan makes them any more or less trustworthy. Unless you actually believe those silly boogeyman stories that try to make people believe 4chan is actually more morally "bad" than anywhere else on the internet. And, spoiler alert, 4chan is not even CLOSE to the only place to spread around private works. I don't know where you even begin to get that idea, or the idea that they do it any more than anyone else. I'm not saying the guy has to release his script for anyone, but it just seems counterproductive to keep it only to himself for so long, as opposed to having an open beta and allowing free testing/idea flow, or giving it out to the competent developers that you speak of in order to speed up progress. It is a public tool, why not make it public?

This whole post seems kinda silly to me. It's not like he's LOSING anything by "giving" it to anyone. And I really don't see how people being from 4chan makes them any more or less trustworthy. Unless you actually believe those silly boogeyman stories that try to make people believe 4chan is actually more morally "bad" than anywhere else on the internet. And, spoiler alert, 4chan is not even CLOSE to the only place to spread around private works. I don't know where you even begin to get that idea, or the idea that they do it any more than anyone else. I'm not saying the guy has to release his script for anyone, but it just seems counterproductive to keep it only to himself for so long, as opposed to having an open beta and allowing free testing/idea flow, or giving it out to the competent developers that you speak of in order to speed up progress. It is a public tool, why not make it public?

I agree

in order or something to be amazing then you got to have more than a few people actually have the thing

in 3-4 people cant find all the problems and defects.

if you released this engine then people can tell you things wrong with it, then you can fix those things, making it even better!

It's not a public tool. He'll make it public when the PRIVATE beta (That Skitty and I here are both a part of) has had all of its bugs squashed, of which there are many. Plus, he still needs to add more tools to make it even more user friendly than it already is.

This mindset of the internet starting from Terraria's release in 2010 seems to be "Release a public beta, keep adding crap to it, get distracted by 1,000,000 suggestions, then give up halfway" while Yeti is actually using the smarter technique of "Develop in private, hire or ask for a small number of elite betatesters, get the bugs out, release a finished product that only requires touchups instead of whole systems."

Yeti's method is superior. Just use FEXP for now, get used to it, and when FEXNA is eventually released, you'll have actual game dev creation knowledge you currently lack to make an actual good game.

Incidentally, you have a pretty lousy pushy attitude. I don't know what makes you think you're so special, but this engine wouldn't even have been released for another four years from now if I hadn't asked Yeti years ago to do so and offered a sizable donation for a public release. He originally intended to either not release it, or to only release it after FE7x was 100% complete, and that could take many more years still. You're... welcome?

Edited by Klokinator

It's not a public tool. He'll make it public when the PRIVATE beta (That Skitty and I here are both a part of) has had all of its bugs squashed, of which there are many. Plus, he still needs to add more tools to make it even more user friendly than it already is.

[...]

Incidentally, you have a pretty lousy pushy attitude. I don't know what makes you think you're so special, but this engine wouldn't even have been released for another four years from now if I hadn't asked Yeti years ago to do so and offered a sizable donation for a public release. He originally intended to either not release it, or to only release it after FE7x was 100% complete, and that could take many more years still. You're... welcome?

I don't know how to quote multiple times on here so this'll have to do I guess.

"It's not a public tool" - I should've been clearer, I meant "it will be a public tool"

"you have a pretty lousy pushy attitude" - Why do you say that? I tried to emphasize that I'm not trying to push him or anything, I was just asking why.

And for what it's worth, I'm not part of the whole "make a game" thing, this particular thing just got me curious.

(edited for further clarity)

Edited by keksdee

I apologize for the 'silly' comment and questioning. There isn't a need to get hostile, a simple "sorry, not until it's officially released" would have sufficed. I've waited for years on other interesting objects, so waiting on this to be completed isn't anything new. The fairly-rude and high-assumption response wasn't necessary.

I apologize for the 'silly' comment and questioning. There isn't a need to get hostile, a simple "sorry, not until it's officially released" would have sufficed. I've waited for years on other interesting objects, so waiting on this to be completed isn't anything new. The fairly-rude and high-assumption response wasn't necessary.

It wouldn't be necessary if it was first time he've heard this before.

But given that he've heard this a thousand time, he's justified.

He's just tired of people asking for the program to be given out when it's not even remotely finished.

It wouldn't be necessary if it was first time he've heard this before.

But given that he've heard this a thousand time, he's justified.

He's just tired of people asking for the program to be given out when it's not even remotely finished.

Even I, nubbiest of nubs, worse than Blademaster, of the hacking community would have it if Yeti were to break the private beta thing. I'm still learning patience, but sometimes you need to wait for cool stuff, and that's something I've known for a while.

For once Fateborn is spot-on. I personally have answered the "Can _______ group of people have FEXNA early?" and "When will it be released?" question too many times to count. Maybe a hundred times in these 31 pages and on various other places, including my own video comment sections.

If you must know, I heard rumors that there would be a public beta sometime this year. Not quite a full release, but it would be the entire engine completed up to whatever point it was in. The public beta would be probably 95% of the completed engine's assets. When is that coming? Dunno, sometime later this year, unless yeti gets in a bad accident/drafted by the military/etc.

Thank you for the swift responses. And again, my apologies if it sounded pushy or ungrateful or harsh. But, the point remains that harshness doesn't help against anything, even other harshness.

We shall soldier on without, and hopefully learn how to hack using the tools at our disposal. Or, alternatively, the project dies and people forget about it. Either way, thank you for the quick replies!

Thank you for the swift responses. And again, my apologies if it sounded pushy or ungrateful or harsh. But, the point remains that harshness doesn't help against anything, even other harshness.

We shall soldier on without, and hopefully learn how to hack using the tools at our disposal. Or, alternatively, the project dies and people forget about it. Either way, thank you for the quick replies!

This is the Internet. What do we have better to do than lurk? =P

Yeah, Yeti only lets people into the private beta for three reasons.

1. He knows you/you're best friends/you're Myke.

2. He thinks you can help speed the development along by coding in new systems/skills/whatever. C# coding required. (Skitty was added for this reason, as well as Risky and Galleom.)

3. You donate money to him. As they say, everyone has their price.

There isn't a need to get hostile, a simple "sorry, not until it's officially released" would have sufficed.

Sorry, not until it's officially released.

If you must know, I heard rumors that there would be a public beta sometime this year.

This too.

Everybody calm down

65150a5eb0011a3fd0943066f7f6f91a.png

Well uh, guess that answers that. /feg/ really cares about the interests of the community as a whole, for sure. I read some pretty cancerous stuff on their boards, and this is probably the worst one I saw in there. I could understand wanting FEXNA to make your game, I could even understand wanting it early before others maybe because of a misguided thought that it was deserved or it should be public already... but this is just disappointing.

On the other hand, there were some anons I'd like to applaud.

4ae70a53975b68a567f685d516e0bf3c.png

and

1146c52f93b61d00c6205c87c5494e51.png

This guy amuses me. I like him.

God, everyone is so frantic for a release on this project, along with what its capabilities are. I'm gonna be bluntly honest; there won't be that many people that will actually complete a project with FEXNA who have never touched ROM hacking before. Only those that are truly passionate about making an FE game will actually keep something consistent, while most people that are overzealous will get disappointed that you still have to do a lot of work in FEXNA. There will also be others that realise that making and completing a project is a lot harder than simply coming up with an idea. You can write an idea and I mean a bloody good one, but actually making a game revolve around it is not an easy job at all. Just because it's made in a program and is a standalone tool doesn't mean it's going to be piss easy to use.

I'm annoyed that Yeti (Klok and Skitty answer some too I suppose) gets all these questions that have been asked a million times, along with people that won't stop asking for its release. If you really want to use it for your project, you'll wait patiently. Or if you're really THAT impatient, start on this so-called "project" of yours with a rom. If you can't handle basic commands in Nightmare or FE Adv, I can ensure you that FEXNA won't be a cakewalk either.