FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm having trouble coming up with something that would be covered in an "introductory C#" class that wouldn't be applicable in developing XNA

E:

i suppose winforms aren't particularly useful; i'm not sure if i would classify that as part of an introductory level course

Edited by CT075

everything is coding

learning coding is about learning the logic behind it: C#'s syntax is relatively friendly, but you'll need to learn at least all the basic logic to do anything productive and applicable.

i'm having trouble coming up with something that would be covered in an "introductory C#" class that wouldn't be applicable in developing XNA

E:

i suppose winforms aren't particularly useful; i'm not sure if i would classify that as part of an introductory level course

Ok, cool.

everything is coding

learning coding is about learning the logic behind it: C#'s syntax is relatively friendly, but you'll need to learn at least all the basic logic to do anything productive and applicable.

7.8/10 can't detect sarcasm

I've done some JavaScript before so I may pick it up a bit faster than the average person.

I imagine everything in the class would be related to coding. At least tangentially.

I doubt there will be anything covered that isn't in C# itself. I went to a class provided by the same people for Introductory and Intermediate Unity and there was only one thing in all three classes I took that wasn't within Unity itself.

I've done some JavaScript before so I may pick it up a bit faster than the average person.

My programming teacher told me one you learn how to program, learning new languages is merely learning new syntax.

Sorta. There are multiple language skills. As a guy who comes from C, I'm still not used to object oriented programming.

Yea, I was thinking of that as I posted what I said before. They're not all quiiiiite the same. I mean the stuff I learned in Visual Basic helped me learn C#, and that in turn helped a bit with Java, but none of my experience with those helps me with Python XD

Python's just...on one hand it's pretty simple, but it's that simplicity that can also confuse you at times because things are handled so differently. But I feel like it's a good language to learn, since I see Python programs and scripts for Linux all the time, and I prefer to work with Linux over broken windows. I also feel like going back and learning more Java and C#, maybe even revisit VB a little.

Edited by Zepher-Tensho

Logic is the most useful things in programming, yeah. Obviously, syntax is still important and the annoyingness of syntax can get in the way of programming sometimes (I personally dislike C++ but have to use it enough to write graphics code for class), but once you get used to the syntax and also the particularities of each (OOP vs non OOP vs scripting vs functional etc ) it's not so bad.

I'm mostly on Java and Javascript myself. Started on Java.

Logic is the most useful things in programming, yeah. Obviously, syntax is still important and the annoyingness of syntax can get in the way of programming sometimes (I personally dislike C++ but have to use it enough to write graphics code for class), but once you get used to the syntax and also the particularities of each (OOP vs non OOP vs scripting vs functional etc ) it's not so bad.

I'm mostly on Java and Javascript myself. Started on Java.

Yea everytime I even look at C++ my head hurts. Hell I think I got a bad book about it too. I tried typing some code from a C++ book into Visual C++ 2013 and every single line had syntax errors. *shrug* oh well. Like Java and Python better. C# and VB are nice too but they're limited to Windows and I'd prefer to have a non-vender specific language under my belt.

c# is not windows-specific; mono is a fully functional .NET port that is officially supported by microsoft

Oh I know what program you mean. I think I have that. I actually forgot about that...oops.

Well still, most C# programmers build Windows 8/8.1 "store apps" these days, at least that's what the book I got implies. There's an entire section on Windows 8 apps.

tbh that's because people haven't realized that c# is java but better in pretty much every way yet

I admit the two do look very similar. C# has a few things I recognize from VB, like console.Writeline, over Java's System.out.println, but yea, they're pretty close. Altho Java is supposedly based more off of C++.

that has nothing to do with anything (and the latter point is also misleading if not factually incorrect)

All three use very similar syntax, as do tons of other C-based syntax languages because it's familiar to a lot of programmers that started with C. The differences are in how they function, both internally and not. java's syntax is inspired by c++ only insofar as there wasn't really anything better when it came to syntax models

the example you mentioned (Console.WriteLine and System.out.println) isn't actually a particularly good comparison because the "Console" object is strictly more powerful than System.out (which is really just a PrintStream wrapper over your terminal's output aka stdout).

C# is meant to be an improvement on the legacy-driven monster that is C++ by drawing on the concepts that were explored in Java (the # symbol is meant to be ++ on top of a ++, geddit?) - it contains things that are strictly more C++-based (the biggest one being structs but also things like allowing you to explicitly declare your int memory sizes), but also has the Java object model. Then there's also general OO things like encapsulation (see: c# properties vs explicit getters/setters in java) and duck typing (dynamic) that Java just doesn't bother with. Since LINQ became a thing I also think that C# has better functional programming support than Java but neither one is particularly great (and there are alternatives that run on the same platform for both - F# and Scala are both mildly well-known and are actually functional languages).

The reason that C# is actually better is that it offers all the advantages of Java (compile once run everywhere - thanks mono), is actually slightly faster (this may not matter for hobbyists but for some intense algorithms etc it matters a ton) and is just an all around better language for the reasons I explained above

Edited by CT075

...well then, shows what I know XD

I totally never got why C# was named so until you explained it. Kinda clever really.

If anything your little lesson further encourages me to resume studying C#, although I'm still tempted to dabble in other languages. I need to pick a language and stick with it, otherwise I'll never get past learning the bare basics of multiple languages.

But yea thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like C# is a good language to learn in greater detail.

I tried typing some code from a C++ book into Visual C++ 2013 and every single line had syntax errors.

That's probably because some included file/library/whatever didn't get properly linked. Doing that usually messes up large sections of code.

That's probably because some included file/library/whatever didn't get properly linked. Doing that usually messes up large sections of code.

I was thinking perhaps the book was using one version of C++ and Visual C++ was a different version. You might be more right than I am, I really don't know.

Perhaps I should try using Visual Studio now that my school has given it to me, instead of these freebie, watered-down "Express" versions of Visual [whatever].

Perhaps I should try using Visual Studio now that my school has given it to me, instead of these freebie, watered-down "Express" versions of Visual [whatever].

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs

Microsoft recently introduced the community version, which is free like express and has almost all the features of pro.

Switching IDEs can do that too (messing up links), yeah.

Do you actually have a full copy of VS Pro or just a trial license? Because the latter will run out and you'll just need to switch again.

Edit: Yeti do you know exactly what's missing from Community (other than it not being approved for corporate use)?

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs

Microsoft recently introduced the community version, which is free like express and has almost all the features of pro.

Switching IDEs can do that too (messing up links), yeah.

Do you actually have a full copy of VS Pro or just a trial license? Because the latter will run out and you'll just need to switch again.

Edit: Yeti do you know exactly what's missing from Community (other than it not being approved for corporate use)?

I have VS 2013 Ultimate. Being an IT student I was given a Microsoft Dreamspark account, where they allowed you to nab VS 2013, in any version, with a full-fledged license, for free.

And yet, they still use VS 2010 Express in the Intro To Programming course....odd.