FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

Why? The whole reason FEXNA is going to be public in the first place is because Yeti has received donations.

I took that as donations were used for assets and the like, not so someone would work on it. Just forking over money for someone to make features for you sounds like payment. Not a donation.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like you're paying for the sprites used in the engine, you're paying for code. Code isn't licensed anyway.

Also, technically in a court of law, you could say you're paying money for labor, not the actual creation itself. I'm not paying you to make a thing for me, I'm paying you to flex your mental muscles for me, etc.

Edited by ♥Klokinator♥

It's not like you're paying for the sprites used in the engine, you're paying for code. Code isn't licensed anyway.

Also, technically in a court of law, you could say you're paying money for labor, not the actual creation itself. I'm not paying you to make a thing for me, I'm paying you to flex your mental muscles for me, etc.

It's the entirety of the product though. They could still argue that the "FE" in FEXNA is enough to warrant a selling of brand. I don't know, it'd be a shame for Nintendo to catch wind and decide to bring down the hammer.

They already could have before if they wanted to, so it's kind of irrelevant.

I've seen too many things get hit by C&Ds. So I don't know.

I honestly doubt they will though. I mean, has IS ever shut anything down? Remember this and this? Still up. I don't think they care.

Unless IS didn't make Mario and Luigi superstar saga? Idk, I know they made paper mario though.

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga was not made by IS. it's made by Alphadream.

And FE7x takes priority over FEXNA. It's a small team of people. Yeti thinks that str/mag split isn't important, so in terms of things that can be done, it's probably on a very low priority-- as it should be. There are plenty of other things to be worried about that are more useful than a str/mag split. If this is coded like most programs are, adding str/mag will probably be as simple as adding it to the data base so there's some script/procedure that accepts characters that use both a strength and magic stat. That's it. Fitting it on the UI seemed to be the bigger issue TBH.

It shouldn't even be particularly difficult to edit if the source is decently documented. And considering that there is a person that is creating it, asking where to look shouldn't be particularly hard.

It's not a priority because it's a bells and whistles sort of feature. Hell, someone else might do it for you so you don't even have to do it yourself.

Just... Calm down.

And someone WILL do it to be sure. There's too much clamor for that to never be a thing. If no one else figures this out by the time I get my hands on a copy of the engine, I'll do it since it's one of the many things I need to implement for my game idea.

I actually have a fairly long list of modifications I'd need to make to FEXNA for my game... I have my work cut out for me xp

-Knife usage

-Ice magic

-Various battle formula recalculations (most notably magic damage as it relates to chosen element vs. affinities of caster and target)

-Mountable/dis-mountable units

I'm sure there are also going to be skills I need to program beyond what's used in 7x... and I may decide to build a re-class system... but I'm not totally sure about that one. I won't make it for my own game if I feel it breaks the balance of it. I certainly don't want Awakening style re-classing where you can just loop characters over and over so they easily become OP with max stats. If I used anything, it'd be more like Shadow Dragon where you retain your current level and just shift classes.

Knife and ice magic usage would be easy, making their weapon ranks show properly would be the hardest part. Most of the time, changing battle formulae is super simple, as are 99% of non-command-based skills (and that's without a skill editor)

Mounting sounds a bit tougher, especially if you want to make them store two sets of stats/weapon ranks or whatever. FE3 had set stat reductions for dismounting and a single weapon level stat, which would make life easier. Reclassing is probably the hardest of what you mentioned, but thanks to Klok and his zany antics, Yeti has been making some basic considerations for reclass stats, I think.

*rolls away*

Speaking of mounting, I just had an idea. What if Armors could switch to lightweight units, like dismounting? They'd gain a point of movement that way, but their stats would go down overall. That could end up a bit overpowered, however, since you could armor up once you've sped to where you want to choke or to an enemy engagement. I'd like to see some other pseudo field class-changing. I'm sure if you wanted Laguz-like units that could work as well through an item.

I feel like it might make more sense to allow armor removal, but not rearmoring, since armor's not like a horse that can run alongside you as you fight, or even weapons you can put to the side when engaging an enemy; as long as you carry it, it'll slow you down, and putting it back on is a nontrivial process.

Could be neat though idk

One way to go about it would be the option to send an Armor into battle as a Soldier of the same weapon type, if you had one-weapon armors. If you had multi-weapon Armors, you could choose one weapon type, and the same if you had Generals with access to all or most physical and/or magical weaponry. I'd think Str and Def would go down armorless, and Skl and Spd increases. There would need to be pretty big drops in Def in some cases, but I'm sure it's workable.

Knife and ice magic usage would be easy, making their weapon ranks show properly would be the hardest part. Most of the time, changing battle formulae is super simple, as are 99% of non-command-based skills (and that's without a skill editor)

Mounting sounds a bit tougher, especially if you want to make them store two sets of stats/weapon ranks or whatever. FE3 had set stat reductions for dismounting and a single weapon level stat, which would make life easier. Reclassing is probably the hardest of what you mentioned, but thanks to Klok and his zany antics, Yeti has been making some basic considerations for reclass stats, I think.

*rolls away*

Storing two sets of weapon ranks or stats aren't necessary, you could just arbitrarily declare that a dismounted unit isn't allowed to use certain weapon types even if they have a lance rank. You could probably do that now in GBAFE by locking Lance Knight (D) out of Lances and locking Lance Knight out of swords using PRF weapon locks.

*rolls away*

Yeah knife/ice will be pretty easy. I added new weapon types in FEXP and that was a mess considering what it had to do. I expect FEXNA will be easier to work with and more organized. For the same reason, making the ranks show right should also be easier. Just look at existing ones and replicate that and make sure everything references the correct portion of the code.

For mounting, I won't need stat or weapon changes. Mounting a horse/pegasus/wyvern literally just changes move type and move amount so it'll be fairly simple. I can probably learn how to make things mountable/dismountable by studying how ballistae work.

And yes, a re-classing system is going to be the most involved... but also the one I don't actually need for anything so that would be more of a test of my skills if I went for it.

I may be a bit ambitious with what I want to do... but honestly coding is the one of the few aspects I don't suck at xP I'm not so great when it comes to music and graphics for games... just writing and coding.

Edited by Crazy Li

When it comes to tilesets, will the engine have both tiles of FE7 and 6, or just 7?

And how easy would it be to add more tilesets? As I want more mountains but half the sets have poor showings of them so I was wondering if I could kitbash some sets out and insert them afterwards.

This is simply out of pure curiosity because I've been watching The Walking Dead lately, but would it be possible for a unit to be killed, but if you don't attack/kill them again within x turns they turn into a zombie/something else? Obviously it could be coded in, but the question is would it be advanced? It would breed awesome potential for some unique projects.

This is simply out of pure curiosity because I've been watching The Walking Dead lately, but would it be possible for a unit to be killed, but if you don't attack/kill them again within x turns they turn into a zombie/something else? Obviously it could be coded in, but the question is would it be advanced? It would breed awesome potential for some unique projects.

That sounds like a really good idea, actually. Maybe something like that could be used for bosses with multiple forms. With generics that could be abused for EXP, though, so you'd need to make zombies give out low amounts of EXP compared to a human kill.

I'm assuming units would need to be programmed to turning into a corpse unit type instead of disappearing. That probably means a lot of new sprites. You'd have to iron out the mechanics, but I don't see why it wouldn't be doable with a little coding.

I'm assuming units would need to be programmed to turning into a corpse unit type instead of disappearing. That probably means a lot of new sprites. You'd have to iron out the mechanics, but I don't see why it wouldn't be doable with a little coding.

I wouldn't use a battle sprite for the corpse. Rather I'd have a "Bury" command for them, but if they were to have a low amount of HP, I would force map animations. It just seems like too much work to have both a map and battle animation for every unit type. Below is a good idea.

Just rotate the standing sprite 90 degrees, thats what they did for dead Brendan in FE7

Dead Brendan and fainted Nils were both like that? Huh, never realized.