Would it be better if weapon experience was unified?

Skynstein

I like most of Awakening's battle mechanics but I feel that, due to reclassing, weapon experience should've been revamped.

The absolute majority of RPGs and MMORPGs have separate weapon/magic ranks, as is the case with Awakening, but in the specific case of FE, I think it would be better if the experience was unified.

It's indeed annoying to promote a character from a class with a single weapon to a class with multiple weapon usage, only to find out you need to grind weapon exp again in order to make the new weapons useful. It even has a negative effect on the weapon triangle, since, if you have A lances and E swords and are up against an axe-wielding enemy, a Silver Lance will still do much more damage than a Bronze Sword, and the evade boost you get with the lance may not always be worth it.

Awakening has means of grinding weapons in high level characters (I got my Cordelia to A tomes and A staves very easily), but in a no grind run (as was intended by the developers), separate weapon experience limits your strategy.

I understand that, if unified weapon experience was a thing, some classes like Great Knight could become overpowered, but then something would need to be done to balance that. What's your opinion?

this wouldn't have been a problem if promoted classes didn't still have E ranks by default.

Maybe the promoted class' new weapon gets the rank of your lowest ranked weapon? It would encourage versatility in classes like Cavalier which already come with two weapons.

Maybe something along the lines of promoted units get double the weapon exp, that would probably help.

Isn't there a skill like that?Like Discipline?

this wouldn't have been a problem if promoted classes didn't still have E ranks by default.

This could be a good idea. In Radiant Dawn for example, a Sword Marshall would have instant C-rank in axe and D-rank in lance and Micaiah got C-rank staff upon becoming a Light Sage and a B-rank when changing to Light Priestess. (Granted this game had SS weapon rank)

This could be a good idea. In Radiant Dawn for example, a Sword Marshall would have instant C-rank in axe and D-rank in lance and Micaiah got C-rank staff upon becoming a Light Sage and a B-rank when changing to Light Priestess. (Granted this game had SS weapon rank)

Bold: It's the other way around - a Sword Marshall gets a C rank in Lances (assuming you hadn't gotten it higher by then) and a D rank in axes.

Bold: It's the other way around - a Sword Marshall gets a C rank in Lances (assuming you hadn't gotten it higher by then) and a D rank in axes.

Derp(I'll blame this on how tired I am)

I was reading the Lance Marshall stats while assuming that Lances were Swords and vice-versa(I was wondering too since the Black Knight is basically a super-powered Sword Marshall and he gets access to Lances, but not swords

This. In my opinion, reclassed classes should start with D-rank in every new weapon. Leveling up to C shouldn't be that hard, so I think this suffices.

Also, it's the developpers' blame if a Paladin with A on Lances and E on Swords can hit an unit equipped with Axes with more ease with lances than if said Paladin had a sword equipped. The Weapon Triangle Disadvantage/Advantage should've been increased a little more.

I was reading the Lance Marshall stats while assuming that Lances were Swords and vice-versa(I was wondering too since the Black Knight is basically a super-powered Sword Marshall and he gets access to Lances, but not swords

The Black Knight wields Alondite... which is a sword.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

The Black Knight wields Alondite... which is a sword.

Oh my god, how tired was I yesterday. I meant axe. BK gets access to Sword and Lances, obviously.

Getting so mixed-up with my thought is pretty encouraging considering finals are starting next week

This. In my opinion, reclassed classes should start with D-rank in every new weapon. Leveling up to C shouldn't be that hard, so I think this suffices.

Also, it's the developpers' blame if a Paladin with A on Lances and E on Swords can hit an unit equipped with Axes with more ease with lances than if said Paladin had a sword equipped. The Weapon Triangle Disadvantage/Advantage should've been increased a little more.

They shouldn't have tied them to weapon ranks, or added so many bonus stats tied to weapon rank.

It infuriates me how my guy will lose defense switching to a sword (and not get any damage reduction through WTA either), even though it's not documented anywhere.

Also yes, starting with D-Rank at least would be fine. Covers thrown weapons and iron weapons at least.

Another thing I miss from radiant dawn is the double magic triangle.(Now I want to play RD again)

i don't miss it, really, since the magic triangle was pretty much never relevant to strategy, especially in RD where mages had weak tomes to work with (and in general, high resistance which meant WTA didn't matter much, if at all).

What? I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Also, the weapon triangle bonus/penalty is proportionate to rank (in particular, if the advantageous side's at A rank, the bonus/penalty is 1 Mt/15 hit).

Edited by Levant Fortner

They shouldn't have tied them to weapon ranks, or added so many bonus stats tied to weapon rank.

It infuriates me how my guy will lose defense switching to a sword (and not get any damage reduction through WTA either), even though it's not documented anywhere.

I'm not getting that.

Unless you've got a +DEF weapon like Helswath, you wouldn't lose DEF to switch to another weapon type.

WTA kills the other side's WRB.

Which if you're switching to a Sword to claim WTA, that's only a -2 ATK penalty because Axes [-1 WRB neutralized, -1 WTD] so if you did have a +DEF weapon, yeah, but otherwise, no you're gaining "DEF" [and Avo, unless Hawkeye].

Lancing a Sword costs the Sword User 4 ATK.

What? I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Also, the weapon triangle bonus/penalty is proportionate to rank (in particular, if the advantageous side's at A rank, the bonus/penalty is 1 Mt/15 hit).

The first post complains about the fact that a Paladin with A on Lances and E on Swords, while equipping a lance, has more chances of hitting an axe user than with a sword. I am saying that the WTA/WTD should've increased more (at least in terms of hitting) to fix this problem.

The first post complains about the fact that a Paladin with A on Lances and E on Swords, while equipping a lance, has more chances of hitting an axe user than with a sword. I am saying that the WTA/WTD should've increased more (at least in terms of hitting) to fix this problem.

Unless the axe user was equipped with Swordbreaker, that isn't something I'd expect to see. Oh, and even at E or D rank, sword vs axe still chops off 15 hit from the axe (nulls the 10 hit from WRB, and another 5 from WTD).

Edited by Levant Fortner

Unless the axe user was equipped with Swordbreaker, that isn't something I'd expect to see. Oh, and even at E or D rank, sword vs axe still chops off 15 hit from the axe (nulls the 10 hit from WRB, and another 5 from WTD).

At least a D rank sword/axe/lance user won't be limited to their bronze counterparts, which suck.

Also, I didn't notice that occurence in my playthroughs (because I don't pay attention to minor details. I wonder how I manage to even play FE), but I've seen some units wearing lances having a good hit chance against units wearing axes. I attributed this to their absurd stats and skill stat, but I might be wrong.

Also, I didn't notice that occurence in my playthroughs (because I don't pay attention to minor details. I wonder how I manage to even play FE), but I've seen some units wearing lances having a good hit chance against units wearing axes. I attributed this to their absurd stats and skill stat, but I might be wrong.

Probably because those axe guys have low weapon ranks. Weapon Triangle bonuses/penalties are dependent on the winner's weapon rank, so if the axe guy has an E rank, he'll be shaving off only 5 of your hit (and cancelling you weapon rank bonus, which is 5 at A rank. So yeah, a -10 hit isn't that big.

It matters more in Lunatic, where all enemies have A ranks. No matter what your weapon rank in lances is, you'll be shaving off 3mt from a swordguy with a bronze lance every time.

Nooooooooo! You didn't get it, sorry, maybe I misworded it. I said a Paladin with A lances and E swords has no reason to use the sword against an axe user, because the lance will do much more damage and the accuracy penalty won't be big compared to using the sword (since lance loses to axe while sword beats it).

Edited by Malebolganone

Nooooooooo! You didn't get it, sorry, maybe I misworded it. I said a Paladin with A lances and E swords has no reason to use the sword against an axe user, because the lance will do much more damage and the accuracy penalty won't be big compared to using the sword (since lance loses to axe while sword beats it).

That'd only really be true if the axe dude had a low weapon rank.