Is the Devil Axe a useful weapon at all?

Knight

I usually always avoid using the devil axes when playing Fire Emblem, since I don't wish to fall victim to the side effects, but in any game is it considered a good weapon? I've heard it raises your axe weapon rank a lot.

it's amazing in FE11. definitely worth using.

^ This. It helps a lot at OHKO'ing stuff and shaving turns in FE11. Other than that, no, because it weighs so much in FE7. edit: and the risk, of course. Edited by Quintessence

Their main use to me has always been that 8 WEXP they give, which is great in e.g. the GBA games where you can get a newly promoted axe user up to D rank axes in about two swings. But even then, that's usually not worth it due to the fact that E rank axes are good enough (Hand Axe, Steel Axe, Iron Axe, all E rank). Their low hit rates and high weight is also a problem, so really WEXP training is about the only use I tend to get out of them.

I still remember Gonzales killing himself with a 0.2% chance Devil Axe crit as his first (and so far only) action I ever took with him as a playable character...

it's amazing in FE11. definitely worth using.

It's extremely useful for killing off the Chapter 3 boss on the harder difficulties, and some of the armors if my axe users can't Hammer them.

Lightweights.

I use the Devil Axe plenty in FE7 and have never seen it kill my units. Why? Because I'm smart and careful with it. I make sure that the raw damage it's dealing can't kill me (there are crits, but there will always be miniscule chances of failure, Devil Axe or no) and usually only use it for killing blows, as that prevents retaliation on top of doubling the already high WEXP.

Having Raven and Oswin using Silver Axes is pretty cool. Having them with S rank Axes is even cooler.

I only use it when I need fast leveling of axe rank when I'm doing certain gimmicky stuff

Like I got the request when I did my FE7 women+hector only run to have Isadora take the killing hit on Fire Dragon with Basilikos

I generally pick targets that I know I can't kill myself on, hit them with Devil Axe, then get someone to switch to iron before Enemy Phase starts

But I only do that for gimmick runs to start with