Brainstorming new "themes" for future Fire Emblems

secondworld

Ex-cuse me, *adjusts lensless glasses, snorts* but the Victorian era itself was post-Napoleonic wars, into the mid-1800's, by which time the firearms of choice were technically rifles, not smoothbore muskets, and which were far more accurate at better ranges.

*shot*

Ex-cuse me, *adjusts lensless glasses, snorts* but the Victorian era itself was post-Napoleonic wars, into the mid-1800's, by which time the firearms of choice were technically rifles, not smoothbore muskets, and which were far more accurate at better ranges.

*shot*

Well, looks like we have a smart-y pants in our midst.

jk, I'm not into firearms, anyway. So thanks for clarifying :)

I like the idea of blunderbusses/shotguns. Maybe have remarkably low hit (like 50%), but have a 7x4 single attack (averages to be 14 damage, but can do up to 28 if very lucky). Number can be adjusted, but the idea is there. 1-2 range, but hit penalty at 2 range?

Guns aside, I would like magic to differ more from physical weapons. More flexibility like AoE damage, siege ranges, status instead of just single-targets.

I'm also going to toss in support for an FE Fighting game. It would be totally awesome. Finally settle the debate between Hector and Ike? Or Seth and Titania? Joshua vs Rutger? It would be cool to be very tag-team orientated, like MvC.

Edited by monkymeet

*shot*

Minie ball wasn't invented in the 1840s and the first major war involving rifled muskets wasn't until the Crimean War in the '50s, IIRC. Here in Detroit we have a very nice fort constructed in '49 that wasn't built with rifled artillery in mind and was rendered obsolete in less than a decade. So really, you could push the styling a couple of decades into Victoria's reign and still maintain some accuracy. :)

Heck, your game-breaking Gotoh character at the end could have a rifle that outdoes everybody else's guns.

But honestly, it's Fire Emblem. They have characters styled after ancient Greco-Roman characters waving around rapiers, so they could have a troubadour in crinolines waving an arquebus and I'd be a happy camper.

The pirate idea sounds amazing. It opens up a lot of opportunities for new classes and we could have ship-land maps, with smaller ships taking a turn or two to go between them. The cannons you mentioned I assume would be a ballista replacement? also allows another world map and in general, a bigger evil to knockout.

What happens if your lord dies?

I'd like the idea of another unit succeeding the Lord in their position. Many warlords/rulers/leaders of things have fallen before their prime leaving someone else to take up their sword.

While FE has never done this outside of FE4 (techically anyways) I think it would be cool.

Edited by Jedi Fon Fabre

I'd like the idea of another unit succeeding the Lord in their position. Many warlords/rulers/leaders of things have fallen before their prime leaving someone else to take up their sword.

While FE has never done this outside of FE4 (techically anyways) I think it would be cool.

This seems like it would be a pain to write unless it was scripted.

Though I actually wouldn't mind something like that happening as part of the plot.

What happens if your lord dies?

No Lord. Possibly one character who the tactician is assigned to - the tactician would obviously run if the character died. But equal focus for the party as a whole.

The tactician's guard would be assigned by the player. Perhaps the player phase theme would depend on who that character is, defaulting to a "Leaf's Army's Getting Its Shit Fucked"-esque theme if s/he dies.

Edited by Parrhesia

Greco Roman is Elibe. Etruria is Rome, Lycia is Greece, Bern is Persia, Sacae are the Huns, Illia is the Germanic Tribes, Nabata is the rest of the Middle East, and the Western Isles are the Celts. Personally, I would like one that involves a French Revolution style thing, but you being a tactician who can join the revolutionaries, the royalists, or the coalition. Each faction yields different units.

I said this before, but I think a steampunk themed Fire Emblem could be great. Steampunk akin to Final Fantasy 6. It would add the series' appeal. The only problem is I doubt you could go back to medieval theme, since the new classes that would open up and such.

I said this before, but I think a steampunk themed Fire Emblem could be great. Steampunk akin to Final Fantasy 6. It would add the series' appeal. The only problem is I doubt you could go back to medieval theme, since the new classes that would open up and such.

Final Fantasy went back to medieval after FF6, FF7 and FF8. It could be just like that.

Final Fantasy went back to medieval after FF6, FF7 and FF8. It could be just like that.

That felt like to me a purposeful throwback. They proceeded to stay steampunk with FFX, FF12, and FF13.

The thing is, I think you can tell most medieval stories with steampunk spin. I don't think you can say the reverse about steampunk stories. Thus, it would be a point of no return. Because IS would see the potential in steampunk.

I have this weird idea of a MOBA-structured (DOTA/LoL) FE game.

It would be turn-based but with only two players instead of ten(one per team). Each gets to choose 5 heroes from FE that start at level 1. There're mooks that travel in lanes for experience and money (for buying weapons back at base). Heroes will gain skills and random stats until the commander decides to start going for towers or the main bases. Certain heroes would dominate early game but fail in late-game (like Jeigans), but others will devastate end games with quick level-ups and growth (Ests). Mechanics can work much like FE with weapon durability and RNG for attacks (with crit and hit and skill activations). Think of it as a slightly more macro orientated MOBA, I guess?

Obviously, mobility is king but that can be balanced with weaker stats. It could be cool if executed well.

Edited by monkymeet

Combining both the Pirates idea of a sort and my idea of playing as what would normally be the villainous faction, I think would be interesting to have a Vikings-themed Fire Emblem. Like you would be a young, ambitious Jarl seeking to unite the peoples of his northern, savage lands by acquiring fame and gold to win warriors to you and a claim to become King. So, you fight other chieftains and raid stand-ins for the British Isles and France to get just that. Maybe even bonus missions where you sail as far as stand-ins for Newfoundland and Arabia.

Okay. The colonial Fire Emblem, mixed with dissenting tribes and civil wars, might just be the best thing to hit the planet.

I just started writing an outline for an FE-like game where the two main entities are neither good nor evil and those who worship it screw up the religion, and summon magic.

Sorry for the bump, though. D8

Edited by VulneqSVB/=

I totally approve of a Pirate-themed Fire Emblem. And, of course (for me), an African Fire Emblem. Or better yet... an African Fire Emblem with pirates! I mean, you've got the Barbary pirates, the Somali pirates, a history of piracy in Madagascar... It could be fun. Pirates are just cool.

Edited by NyanKitteh

The main issue that I think I see with most of these themes being presented is a lack of potential weapon and class diversity. The class system and the weapon triangle add huge elements of variety to Fire Emblem and I feel that the setting that they have now is ideal for this. A futuristic setup is the only other theme I can think of that may offer a similar potential.