Brainstorming new "themes" for future Fire Emblems

secondworld

FE13 originally being planned to take place on Mars and an old thread about an African-themed FE got me thinking about possible themes other than medieval-fantasy.

Personally, I think a pirate-themed FE could be pretty cool. While there have been ship battles in previous FE games, having a large chunk of the game devoted to them could prompt IS to do more with them(ships moving during battles, firing cannons, fighting during storms...). Sailing to different locations would also allow for lots of unique environments.

So what do you guys think about the possibility of future FEs having different themes, and what themes would you like to see?

How about a theme of incest? I'm surprised how such a boundary-pushing idea challenging moral norms hasn't been touched upon yet.

But seriously, the pirate theme sounds a lot like TearRing Saga (though I didn't dwell on its storyline much) to me.

A futuristic FE with guns as a weapon type sounds neat, but I'm not sure what that would be like.

I'd love to see a French Revolution kind of situation where the noble ruler types FE's used to basing stories on get turned on their heads, or at least forced to justify themselves. Especially if the player could have a Langrisser-style choice between supporting/rebuilding a monarchy, trying to form a republic, or going Full Napoleon.

And while I'm fantasizing, it'd also be nice to have a eugenics simulator multi-generation story where the gameplay actually sold itself on being really involved in pairing selection, instead of the player's ingame introduction to the concept just being "put these units next to each other a lot and something good might happen~"

Like, having the characters be involved in a war so protracted and awful that they're all well-aware their children might have to keep fighting after them, the PC being both a commander and Gregor Mendel Jr. a "pairing advisor" or something the like, etc.

Edited by Rehab

Greco-Roman already happened since that was Akaneia, especially FE1.

TearRing Saga's pirate part is mixed with monster slaying and getting back Granada, Holmes' homeland. Granted, he wants none of it and wants to be free anyway.

Ideally I'd like several parts not unlike FE10 but with more parts, featuring mercenaries, thieves, assassins, clergy, knights, mages, natives and everything else in between, only for them to team up at some point against a greater threat. Perhaps depending on the players' choices, some of the factions would ally themselves with said threat.

Combining units under something like a ship or a other cohesive unit has always been an idea I'd like to see Fire Emblem take on.

Just two to add:

- One that takes place in a jungle/Amazon/centralAmerican environment, with tens of tribes and all sorts of laguz all over. Constant territorial disputes and all, plus some interesting cultural elements/tie-ins.

- Sci-Fire Emblem.

Ironman as the default mode. Morale system built around the effects of others dying around them.

Man, that would be so rad. Bonus points if morale goes up when certain people die (i.e. If Jaffar died in FE7, Hector's morale would go up, that sort of thing).

How about one based on a more feudal Japan or heck an ancient China styled theme. I would looooooooooove a Romance of the Three Kingdoms inspired FE.

You do not know how much my body would be ready for that.

I was thinking more of a Revolutionary War type theme except the King gets killed.And the new country causes problems.You get a huge amount of help from green units too this time. The after game is a result of moving Natives west,and having to fight the wars due to conquering the land,or having to go north and conquering that land,having problems with northern tribes. And as DLC you buy Western Lands from an Eastern country.And fight the warring tribes,as well as going East and fighting the wars there. You'll get references to older Fire Emblem too.

I've been pondering about an FE western. The setting would be similar to mid-late 19th century U.S.- there's a vast untamed wilderness to explore, railroads are the new big thing, and heavy industry is starting to pick up. And we're waging war against the natives... and big businesses are pushing into politics more than ever before... yeah, suddenly it doesn't sound so wonderful.

I'd love to see one with a story where you can choose your side, but there is no clear good or evil. (Something like the setting of Brink). Some sort of civil war, with loyalists and rebels. There WILL be betrayals, and you have to decide not to bring people into certain battles, lest they switch sides.Could be done in most settings, but a chinese one in the yellow turban rebellion (late 2nd century china) or the Boshin war in japan both spring to mind.

Ironman as the default mode. Morale system built around the effects of others dying around them.

I think that's called XCOM

Speaking of which, an XCOM/FE hybrid would be pretty awesome.

Edited by monkymeet

It would, yeah, though XCOM technically does allow ye olde PC saving by default: Ironman mode is an option you can turn on at the beginning of a playthrough.

Victorian-era like atmospheres, but still has the weapons from older FE games. Maybe add in a pistol or so. I'm kinda dry on ideas right now.

If they did implement guns in an FE game, I'd like to see it done this way, yeah. Deadly but inaccurate pistols and muskets, and artillery. Maybe with the potential for blowing up in the unit's face.

If they did implement guns in an FE game, I'd like to see it done this way, yeah. Deadly but inaccurate pistols and muskets, and artillery. Maybe with the potential for blowing up in the unit's face.

Devil axe style mechanics!!!