Okay for a while now I have planned to get a Sylveon. But unfortunately I am one of those picky people that care about a Pokemon's gender, nature, etc. I've researched and most people say that "Calm" or "Modest" is the best nature for Sylveon.

As for the gender, I really, really, wanted a female Eevee because Sylveon just appears as a female to me, imo. (Plus female Eevees are rare, so it'd be kinda cool to have one in battle)

So basically I've been in this crazy Eevee-catching fiasco trying to catch a female Eevee with a good nature for Sylveon as well. I've caught 18 so far. All but two of them are male. I basically have caught Eevees with all types of natures, which stinks because I'm after specific ones. My first female Eevee had a "Lax" nature, which is really bad for Sylveon.

So finally today I found a female Eevee, and it's nature is "Brave" with it's characteristic "Likes to fight." It didn't affect it's Defense, Special Attack, or Special Defense, so I thought it'd be good. Unfortunately that characteristic made me picky because it does nothing to increase those three stats.

Also, before this, I did manage to get my hands on an Eevee with a "Calm" nature, but it's a Male. It's characteristic is "Likes to trash about" which is also unfortunate because it messes up it's attack decrease since it has a "Calm" nature.

TL;DR: So basically I have to decide which to choose to evolve into Sylveon. Should I choose the female Eevee I've been craving with average stats, or should I choose the male Eevee with the "Calm" nature, but with a characteristic that contradicts it? Or should I just go back to catching Eevees until I find a better one?

Also, I have quite a few different natures of Eevees (no "Modest" nature sadly) such as Serious, Bashful, etc. Another option would to just got with a neutral nature. Would that be worth it at all or should I just not worry about neutral natures?

Sorry for writing so much but this has been bugging me for a long time...

Edited by LuigiandShadowGirl

Do you have any pokemon with Synchronize ability that have a Calm or Modest nature? If you send those pokemon out against any female eevee you encounter, it has a higher chance of having the same nature as your own pokemon. Otherwise, you could always just try breeding the nature onto a hatched female eevee. Just find a Ditto or pokemon in the Field egg group with the correct nature, slap an everstone on it, and put them in the day care with an eevee. Voila! Perfect nature acquired.

If your problem is really just finding more female eevees, use a male pokemon with cute charm in battle out in front (you can even evolve one of your male eevees into Sylveon so it can be male cute charmer) and every pokemon you encounter has a higher chance of being female.

You can just breed them

If you find a nature you like put a everstone on it and it'll pass down the nature

Since you have a female eevee you can also breed it with someone else in its egg group that isn't an eevee but have the nature you want and you'll get little baby eevees

Probably will take a while before the next female though

I like my Sylveon as a boy

Edit: whoops ninja'd

Edited by Thor Odinson

Do you have any pokemon with Synchronize ability that have a Calm or Modest nature? If you send those pokemon out against any female eevee you encounter, it has a higher chance of having the same nature as your own pokemon. Otherwise, you could always just try breeding the nature onto a hatched female eevee. Just find a Ditto or pokemon in the Field egg group with the correct nature, slap an everstone on it, and put them in the day care with an eevee. Voila! Perfect nature acquired.

If your problem is really just finding more female eevees, use a male pokemon with cute charm in battle out in front (you can even evolve one of your male eevees into Sylveon so it can be male cute charmer) and every pokemon you encounter has a higher chance of being female.

Unfortunately, I'm not that far in the game (so many reasons why) so no. I wanted to catch an Eevee and evolve into Sylveon before I moved on (so it can keep up with the rest of my team). And because I'm not that far in the game, I haven't found a ditto (don't you find one...post-game or something? Geez....)

I heard about the Cute Charm ability strategy...I wasn't sure if it'd work. I was originally planning on evolving the Calm Male Eevee into Sylveon, and if I couldn't find a better female Eevee with a good nature, I would just tough it out and keep the original one. Do you know how often the opposite gender appears if the Cute Charm ability is activated?

Thank you for your advice! :)

You can just breed them

If you find a nature you like put a everstone on it and it'll pass down the nature

Since you have a female eevee you can also breed it with someone else in its egg group that isn't an eevee but have the nature you want and you'll get little baby eevees

Probably will take a while before the next female though

I like my Sylveon as a boy

Edit: whoops ninja'd

When you breed them, does it have to be with a ditto or can it be a different Pokemon? And I didn't know natures could be passed down with everstones...

Oh wait, you just answered my question. But when you breed, doesn't it still have a low chance of getting a female Eevee? (Meh, if it gets a good nature, that might be enough to convince me.

That's so awesome. If I had a Male Sylveon, I considered giving it Sassy to strengthen it's Special Attack and the personality just fits. xD

Thanks for the tips! :)

Edited by LuigiandShadowGirl

Yeah the chances are still pretty low

I haven't bred any Eevees--though I do plan to--but I bred a bunch of igglybuffs and there's a lot more girls than boys. I do still get boys, though, and ratio-speaking there is more boy puffs than girl eevees, though people who's been breeding for a while usually go through boxes at time so statistically a less-likely gender is likely to happen at some point anyway.

But free to do what you like. Your pokemon, after all~

Cute charm definitely works. It was in gens prior to XY so people have already found the code for it, and when I first started puff breeding I didn't realise it was a thing and I probably had the wigglytuff I went through E4 with (a female cute charmer) up front and I caught about 15 or so jigglypuffs for the initial parent selection, and about 2/3 of those are males -- something that doesn't exactly happen with jigglypuff's gender ratio of 75-25 otherwise. Which make sense, since a cute charmer will put the occurence of opposite-gendered pokemon up to 66.67% (excluding monogender or genderless pokemon)

Edited by Thor Odinson

I know how you feel, bud. It took me awhile to finally get my hands on a female Eevee too, though luckily for me, the first one I caught was calm natured. I was also looking to add a Sylveon to my team, cause the thing is just so damn cute. :3

But since you're not very far in the game, you're probably best off evolving one of your male Eevee into Sylveon so then you have a male Cute Charm user, like Silver Lighting said. You can't get Ditto until near the end of the game at the Pokemon Village, so yeah.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah the chances are still pretty low

I haven't bred any Eevees--though I do plan to--but I bred a bunch of igglybuffs and there's a lot more girls than boys. I do still get boys, though, and ratio-speaking there is more boy puffs than girl eevees, though people who's been breeding for a while usually go through boxes at time so statistically a less-likely gender is likely to happen at some point anyway.

But free to do what you like. Your pokemon, after all~

Cute charm definitely works. It was in gens prior to XY so people have already found the code for it, and when I first started puff breeding I didn't realise it was a thing and I probably had the wigglytuff I went through E4 with (a female cute charmer) up front and I caught about 15 or so jigglypuffs for the initial parent selection, and about 2/3 of those are males -- something that doesn't exactly happen with jigglypuff's gender ratio of 75-25 otherwise. Which make sense, since a cute charmer will put the occurence of opposite-gendered pokemon up to 66.67% (excluding monogender or genderless pokemon)

Dang, that's why I haven't been breeding (and I don't have a ditto so...) That's interesting with the Iggybuffs. I just looked it up and the majority are female...lucky you snagged a few males. >.<

Yeah I know their my Pokmeon, but I'm just so indecisive so I had to ask people. Now that I think about it, it was sort of a stupid question...

Ah, awesome! :) I'm totally going to use Cute Charm then, since it seems to be the best strategy now! And it raises the occurrence of opposite-gendered Pokemon up to 66.67 percent?! I thought it only rose by 30%! That's it, I'm making one of my male Eevees into a Sylveon and using Cute Charm. Thank you so much for the information~!

I know how you feel, bud. It took me awhile to finally get my hands on a female Eevee too, though luckily for me, the first one I caught was calm natured. I was also looking to add a Sylveon to my team, cause the thing is just so damn cute. :3

But since you're not very far in the game, you're probably best off evolving one of your male Eevee into Sylveon so then you have a male Cute Charm user, like Silver Lighting said. You can't get Ditto until near the end of the game at the Pokemon Village, so yeah.

Seriously?! Your first female Eevee was calm natured?! You lucky duck~ Luckly you don't have to go through that stupid Eevee catching fiasco. xD I agree, it's super adorable and it's the new type, the Fairy type, so I thought it'd be perfect~

Alright, I think I'll go with the Cute Charm strategy (and I have like 16 Male Eevees so... XD) And you get Ditto in Pokemon Village? Alright, I didn't know that. Better beat the game first before getting a Ditto. >.< Thanks for the input~!

Do you need/want a Synchronizer? I got several with modest, sadly Calm seems to be the only one missing (although I got Trace Ralts with Calm nature, so I could breed that one, too).

Do you know any Pokemon that have the Synchronizer ability that's easy to catch? (I think Espeon and Umbreon have it but....) Modest is really good, I rather would get that then the natures I've been getting. :( I'm sorry you can't get a Calm natured one, it seems like the nature you want most is the hardest to catch.

There are Ralts in route 4, so I guess that's the easiest way to get one.

And actually no, I didn't care for that nature :P Adamant was the hardest one, I got it after ~ 50 Ralts. Calm is just missing and I have at least 20 Synchronize Ralts with different Natures.

If you want a modest one, give me your friend code and I'll trade you one.

Just throwing it out there again, if you can manage to get a male pokemon with the right nature belonging to the field egg group, the largest egg group to which the Eevee family belongs to, all you'd need is an everstone; no ditto required. Its how I got an Adamant nature onto my eevee (for Flareon) early game despite not having a ditto. So lucky they belong to the Field group...

Seriously?! Your first female Eevee was calm natured?! You lucky duck~ Luckly you don't have to go through that stupid Eevee catching fiasco. xD I agree, it's super adorable and it's the new type, the Fairy type, so I thought it'd be perfect~

Yep. I got three more female Eevee in a row after that too. :P I was like "whoa, this is nuts!"

And yeah, Sylveon's my new favorite Eeveelution along with Flareon and then Leafeon. :3

Edited by Anacybele

@ bit about me being lucky to have boypuffs:

Well, at your point in the game you probably don't want to spend forever breeding, especially if you don't care about ivs. My case with the igglybuffs is that I was iv breeding them, and thus I had boxes of them and the probability of not getting males at all in a 30+ sample with 1/4 chance is actually pretty low and I'd say probability was against me if that happened. So if you ever want to get into breeding later on --or hell, now, if you want to, while you'll get significantly less female eevees than male, if you breed enough, they're very likely to happen anyway.

Edited by Thor Odinson

There are Ralts in route 4, so I guess that's the easiest way to get one.

And actually no, I didn't care for that nature :P Adamant was the hardest one, I got it after ~ 50 Ralts. Calm is just missing and I have at least 20 Synchronize Ralts with different Natures.

If you want a modest one, give me your friend code and I'll trade you one.

Ah, okay. I haven't caught one yet because they seem pretty rare...

That's really crazy. I was trying to get an Adamant Chespin, but I gave up and went with Naughty.

Oh really? Nah, it's okay; I don't want to go through all the trouble since it took you a very long time to catch all of those Ralts. I think I'll just go with the Cute Charm strategy. Thank you so much for suggesting that to me though! I appreciate it. :)

Just throwing it out there again, if you can manage to get a male pokemon with the right nature belonging to the field egg group, the largest egg group to which the Eevee family belongs to, all you'd need is an everstone; no ditto required. Its how I got an Adamant nature onto my eevee (for Flareon) early game despite not having a ditto. So lucky they belong to the Field group...

So all you need is a male Pokemon from the field egg group? And an everstone can pass the exact nature to the child too? There's no percentages or anything? Omigosh, I might try this out too. Thanks for telling me this!!

Yep. I got three more female Eevee in a row after that too. :P I was like "whoa, this is nuts!"

And yeah, Sylveon's my new favorite Eeveelution along with Flareon and then Leafeon. :3

That's really lucky. I only caught two so far. That's cool though!

Awesome choices, I like Leafeon the best, so I agree with you on that!

@ bit about me being lucky to have boypuffs:

Well, at your point in the game you probably don't want to spend forever breeding, especially if you don't care about ivs. My case with the igglybuffs is that I was iv breeding them, and thus I had boxes of them and the probability of not getting males at all in a 30+ sample with 1/4 chance is actually pretty low and I'd say probability was against me if that happened. So if you ever want to get into breeding later on --or hell, now, if you want to, while you'll get significantly less female eevees than male, if you breed enough, they're very likely to happen anyway.

I really don't care about ivs (I'm STILL trying to understand them). So basically if you keep on breeding, you'll eventually get at least one Pokemon of the gender you want. I don't know if I have that much patience lazy (plus don't you have to hatch the eggs too?). I probably will use that strategy to breed other Pokemon though. I just want to get a Sylveon ASAP because I'm really far behind in the game. Thanks for clarifying!

I really don't care about ivs (I'm STILL trying to understand them). So basically if you keep on breeding, you'll eventually get at least one Pokemon of the gender you want. I don't know if I have that much patience lazy (plus don't you have to hatch the eggs too?). I probably will use that strategy to breed other Pokemon though. I just want to get a Sylveon ASAP because I'm really far behind in the game. Thanks for clarifying!

unless you get really unlucky, you should. Let's just take a sample size of 15. Half a box, not unreasonable to assume. The chance you don't get any females in any of the hatches is (7/8) ^ 15, which is roughly 13.5%. That's 86.5% chance that you do get at least one female, if not more. Breeding a full box would bring that chance up to 1 - (7/8) ^ 30, which is 98.2% chance of at least one female. That's pretty damn good, I'd say.

But yeah don't worry about that if you just want a Sylveon fast. Just for future reference~

You can even end up like me last night where several batches of my eggs ended up 3/5 or even 4/5 male. I have no idea what's going on but I sure as hell ain't complaining; my puffs need a better selection of dads.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Most people underestimate Ampharos' bulkiness, that's all.

or overestimate Talonflame's atk power

But even so, Mega Ampharos resists both its STABs. Just seemed like a waste.

I don't know what to say, Shuuda. I suppose my opponent did a mistake, or simply needs more experience in competitive battling.

But yeah, you wouldn't have done such a mistake if you were him, rival. That's why I like battling against you. :3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm SO freaking late on this but...about 2 weeks ago I finally got a male Sylveon, so I went in the grass. First thing I encountered? A female Eevee! So I caught it, and guess what nature it was? Calm! I got a Calm natured female Eevee right off the bat! Thanks again for your guys' help! I'm much farther in the game now.

I can get an Eevee with those requirements if you'd like, as an egg even. I've been breeding a lot of Eevee since They're one of my favorite Pokémon~

Ah, it's okay now. xD Thank you very much for the offer~!

unless you get really unlucky, you should. Let's just take a sample size of 15. Half a box, not unreasonable to assume. The chance you don't get any females in any of the hatches is (7/8) ^ 15, which is roughly 13.5%. That's 86.5% chance that you do get at least one female, if not more. Breeding a full box would bring that chance up to 1 - (7/8) ^ 30, which is 98.2% chance of at least one female. That's pretty damn good, I'd say.

But yeah don't worry about that if you just want a Sylveon fast. Just for future reference~

You can even end up like me last night where several batches of my eggs ended up 3/5 or even 4/5 male. I have no idea what's going on but I sure as hell ain't complaining; my puffs need a better selection of dads.

Wait so if you breeded a full box, at least one of the Eevees will be female?

I got it quickly thanks to Cute Charm. I'll keep that reference in mind however. :)