euklyd

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in playing Wesnoth multiplayer?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe

So I see that there have been threads like this in the past, but they seem to be more than a month old (some most are considerably older). So at least some people are obviously familiar with it.

I played Battle for Wesnoth back in 7-8th grade (-ish), so about 5-6 (?) years ago. I recently decided to get back into it so I would have some online turn-based strategy to play with my friends (and others) here on SF.

We (me and various other people) thought it might be cool to start a topic as well, to invite more people to play. Is there any interest among you fine folks?

We seem to be using the development release (1.11.x), and since 1.10.x and 1.11.x are incompatible, 1.11.x is probably gonna be what's used.

http://www.wesnoth.org/ has downloads and other info.

The game is totally free and runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X machines.

I'm another enthusiast of this game.

For the game itself, it's probably best described as a cross between Fire Emblem (setting, leveling/promoting units, permanent death) and Advanced Wars (resource management, turf wars, unit production).

It's pretty hard, and sometimes prone to luck screwing one guy or the other, but fun.

Oh silly me. I should've made the poll public.

Edit: And I can't change it, of course. Oh well; people will just have to post here.

Edited by Euklyd

Sounds great. So far I only embarrassed myself in Wesnoth's multiplayer, though.

Just to be clear, does it matter which 1.11.x version is used?

Pretty sure it doesn't matter.

And no worries; I've only been embarrassing myself as well.

Count me in!

As much as I use only stable versions, I might hop on and download the development ones just for some multiplayer shenanigans.

If anything, you can spot me on official server under name of 'Ironcladkitty' :3

EDIT: Btw, on what kind of server are you guys playing?

Edited by Haspen

So far, I have only played on the official servers - when not playing a local game, at any rate.

About 1.11.X vs 1.10.X, the add-on servers are different, correct? The 1.11.X version has much less UMC, but I don't know if that will be a concern or not, at least for now.

Also, don't worry, some of use are very rusty still. I, an undead player with a great advantage in troop number and composition, charged at the CPU Loyalists, who were on their last legs. During the day.

I didn't even know it was possible to let the computer have over half of the map back.

Edited by Verdant Shade

There aren't much people on 1.11.X official server since it's a dev version.

Hm. Are there more on 1.10.[x]?

Also I'm not really sure if there's a good way to coordinate setting up games beyond just posting and asking if anyone is free...

Hm. Are there more on 1.10.[x]?

Also I'm not really sure if there's a good way to coordinate setting up games beyond just posting and asking if anyone is free...

Well, Skype, Steam chat, and various other alternatives exist. The thread could function as a bulletin board of sorts. . .

Well, Skype, Steam chat, and various other alternatives exist. The thread could function as a bulletin board of sorts. . .

That's basically what I was thinking.

Or if people want to add each other on Skype or something to have a less cumbersome way of coordinating that's cool too.

My Skype is the same as my username, for anyone who wants to try to set something up.

Wesnoth is pretty cool and listening to FE10 map themes while playing is awesome, though I hate the hit rates with passion. Far too much missing. I've read an article once that said the hit rates programming was flawed, but how much of it is legit I don't know.

Also, multiplayer is not only about facing each other in a standard match. There are modes such as Creep War, Orocia temple defense, and you may even play a map of one of the campaigns with other players.

I've yet to download the 1.10.07 version, because mine is 1.10.06. I'm not sure if there's a major difference or if it would hinder me from playing with others.

I've yet to download the 1.10.07 version, because mine is 1.10.06. I'm not sure if there's a major difference or if it would hinder me from playing with others.

1.10.06 and 1.10.07 are multiplayer compatible, I'm almost positive.

However 1.11 (the development release) isn't compatible with 1.10, and that's the issue here.

Regarding Hit%, it was certainly a change from the 2 RN systems I was used to when I first started playing Wesnoth.

Also I recently made this large 5-player map so I would need someone to help me test it online v:

Quite possible in '2 allied players vs 3 individual AIs' game or something.

Any takers? v:

So, Drakes vs Undead is a lot of fun. Simply for the high amounts of damage and death.

Also, I was looking for this for someone yesterday, and after I found it I realized it would be a good idea to link to it here.

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/How_to_play...

It's pretty helpful; it has advice for every matchup in the game.

@Haspen - That sounds pretty interesting. I don't think I've tried a 2v3 before, and it'll be fun to see how you balance it, or if it needs balancing.

Unfortunately I'm lover of orcs and my taking is usually "poison half of the enemy and number-rush the rest" :P

And considering that their grunts are only 12 and archers 14, it's very effective against costly nations, like drakes, who also get extra damage from archers' arrows.