question about fire emblem 4

Dark Nocturne

i recently tried changing a few things in fire emblem 4, like growths and stuff, and i wanted to tinker with portraits too( thought itd be cool to have deetver on my team) but the only things i saw that changed portraits was the char number slot, and when i edited units with it after the chapter ended the units i edited just stood outside the castle and i got a black screen that wouldn't go away. so my question is, can you change portraits in fe4 without changing the char number? or is there another reason it didnt work? im afraid this is the game i might have to learn hex editing for :/

also if im being a doof and theres a tutorial i wasnt able to find please point it in my direction :)

That one's a little tricky, each set of numbers refers to a potraits. I think it's listed by character number so Sigurd should be the first entry... although I don't think anyone's ever been bothered to go through them all.