FE7 Retranslation Effort

CT075

It's a little bit overdue, I guess, but I wanted to make sure I had at least something presentable before I made the thread.

Welcome to the FE7 retranslation effort! This was inspired partially by all the various attempts at an FE6 rewrite (at the time there was also a large movement to remake the Thracia and Genealogy translations patches, although that seems to have died down). Seeing all those got me thinking that the FE7 script could use some touching up as well; the localizers did an excellent job, but I feel that they missed some key parts of the script that the J version had.

Therefore, this project is an attempt to preserve and recreate the feeling of the original Japanese FE7 script. Unfortunately, I'm not actually good at reading Japanese, nor am I a particularly exceptional writer myself. However, I have managed to work around this issue by using google translate (making sure to first translate to multiple languages [such as Finnish] before English, just to make sure the original meaning is preserved).

The patch isn't finished yet, but I have enough that I don't feel bad making this thread!

translations_zps1d439e1e.png

[spoiler=More details]now that i have your attention

I now present to you the FE mechanics modpack (formerly known as CTFE)! This isn't really a standalone hacking project, per se, as much as a collection of various utility patches that I've been putting together for a few months now. The reason I haven't really been releasing much of my work recently is that i haven't actually been doing a whole lot of hacking at all, and the stuff I have done is hardly worth a solo release.

What this modpack is meant to be is a set of hacks that mess with various things that I've heard complaints or requests for. Things such as a retooled experience formula, or more customizable poison damage. Progress will be (and has been) slow, but my hope is that now that I have this thread up I'll be a bit more motivated to deal with this in my free time.

Beyond that, though, the singular patch that I'll be releasing will be playable as a standalone game, altered script and all. It won't contain much more than "lol every mod is applied" but it will include a script that i hope is entertaining, as well as a few of my experimental maps that I made on whims.

Finally, there are two things that I very deliberately included in that set of screens. You get a cookie if you can find them.

[spoiler=plans]EXP formula change (the actual formula i'm still working the kinks out of; all i know is that i'm intending to make it based on stats and that mounts get decreased exp gain)

%hp damage on poison

%hp damage devil weapon recoil

class-specific passive abilities (example: snipers get 2-3 range on all bows)

fe10-style crossbow weapons (ignore wielder strength)

fe5-style crits

arms scroll

variable weapon stats based on wlv

mounts are unrescueable

excess hit over 100% is converted to crit chance

hidden fatigue system

x2 vs x3 effectiveness

variable seize-worthy characters

FE7x-style bow weapon triangle mechanics (WTA at 2-range, WTD at 1-range)

WTA-neutral weapon ability

FE11/12 soft weapon locks

special weapon triangle (WTA vs own type, WTD against others)

psuedo-branched promotions (use different item to promote to different class)

Edited by CT075

Arms Scroll would be the first. Is the second the changed tutorial dialogue, or... whatever's in the top-left? My memory's kind of shaky on that, but it's a long shot anyway.

Arms Scroll would be the first. Is the second the changed tutorial dialogue, or... whatever's in the top-left? My memory's kind of shaky on that, but it's a long shot anyway.

the second thing isn't gameplay-related, it's a reference to something else

the second thing isn't gameplay-related, it's a reference to something else

Oh, that would be Nergal's dramatic and archaic dialogue, wouldn't it? Sorry, I couldn't recognise with how seamlessly it expanded on the original.

translations_zps1d439e1e.png

Validar

Heh heh. Such arrogance! You dare take such a tone...with your own father?!

Shocking, isn't it?

Also, I support this project.

Edited by Sangyul

^You know there are people who seriously write that kind of dross too! That's the sobering message of CTFE.

Really though, I'm excited to see what you have planned. I'm gonna be that guy and ask: will there be mods for FE8, or will it be mostly 7-only?

i've been dabbling in trying to get something done with fe8, so i could probably release everything i have for that as well if there's interest (and from the looks of it there is)

the relative lack of documentation and my own inexperience with hacking will probably keep the fe8 set a fair bit less expansive, though

Edited by CT075

I have an idea: Give Serra and Priscilla higher Light/Anima-Ranks upon promotion, so that i don´t have to grind them to level 20 if I want them to use the S-Ranks.

Also make an retranslation of the German version so we can have Mörderwaffen (Killer Weapons) instead of dumb Meisterwaffen ("Master" Weapons).

Hector-chan ist awesome.

Excuse me, I meant "Hector-chaaaaaan~!"

I have an idea: Give Serra and Priscilla higher Light/Anima-Ranks upon promotion, so that i don´t have to grind them to level 20 if I want them to use the S-Ranks.

I don't mean to speak for Cam, but hell, I'm gonna

The intention of this topic and hack is to provide more complex hacks rather than 5-second Nightmare jobs or "balance" the game. Honestly, it'd take anyone about two minutes to give the classes higher magic ranks anyway, it's not like it's something you couldn't do on your own :P:

Speaking of suggestions, how about a weapon ability that makes it triangle-neutral, or something along those lines? also a fix for custom magic swords not being triangle neutral at range would also be cool

Lastly, what kind of mathematical functions with regard to the EXP formula are available? Specifically, I think it might not be a bad idea to come up with a sort of formula that discourages lowmanning (since FE is very much skewed towards this) by exponentially reducing EXP the higher the level difference between the player and enemy units (if the player unit is higher leveled than the enemy) and exponentially increases EXP if the player unit is lower leveled than the enemy. This could even work in tandem with a fatigue system since both might encourage rotating units.

Edited by Agro

Figure out what constitutes a weapon-lock and how to make new ones

it probably wouldn't actually be that hard

yeah fuck that you guys can do that for yourselves

I don't mean to speak for Cam, but hell, I'm gonna

The intention of this topic and hack is to provide more complex hacks rather than 5-second Nightmare jobs or "balance" the game. Honestly, it'd take anyone about two minutes to give the classes higher magic ranks anyway, it's not like it's something you couldn't do on your own :P:

this man speaks the truth

Speaking of suggestions, how about a weapon ability that makes it triangle-neutral, or something along those lines? also a fix for custom magic swords not being triangle neutral at range would also be cool

i'll throw that onto the list

Lastly, what kind of mathematical functions with regard to the EXP formula are available? Specifically, I think it might not be a bad idea to come up with a sort of formula that discourages lowmanning (since FE is very much skewed towards this) by exponentially reducing EXP the higher the level difference between the player and enemy units (if the player unit is higher leveled than the enemy) and exponentially increases EXP if the player unit is lower leveled than the enemy. This could even work in tandem with a fatigue system since both might encourage rotating units.

tbh i could do basically any formula you care to come up with; the only issue is that i believe exponents (and even multiplication/division of big numbers) are really expensive and can cause issues with game performance Edited by CT075

It doesn't need to literally be an exponential difference; I think what the KoT patch does (Boss and Thief XP bonuses as multipliers instead of flat bonuses, Mode Coefficient is increased if base experience is positive instead of negative) would be a nice hack to have available publicly.

How about a weapon that acts like a reaver which gets WTA against its own weapon type but WTD against the other two?

Soft weapon locks from Fe11-12 would be cool too ('locked' character can wield the weapon at E-rank no matter what weapon rank it normally requires).

Just taking out all the special-case hackery, e.g. the tutorial versions of characters would be nice.

Maybe a nicely configurable workaround for the permadeath thing? Even just an event to say 'revive character X if dead' that can go into the opening events for chapter Y or something. Maybe this already exists?

One of the ideas I tossed off you before was a "shell" where, among other things, the original game chapter data is nuked and replaced with a minimal placeholder, similarly for game text, characters etc. so that the really major hacks can actually start from scratch and never risk running into the old game data if they glitch. :/

Edited by zahlman

the special-case tutorial hackery i'm definitely going to be looking into

i know an event thing for reviving characters exists (you don't even need to throw in an "if dead" conditional)

while the empty shell idea would be something i would definitely get behind and help with; i feel like that is a little bit out of the scope of this project (which is really just a collection of smaller hacks that i do in my free time + script writing + a little bit of my own design choices)

>Leaves the axe in "Iron axe" uncapitalized.

What kind of retranslation is this where the most egregious part of the old translation isn't fixed?

P.S. You should work in that branched promotion based on using different promotion items thing that we were talking about for FE1.

Edited by Arch

That seems rather frivolous honestly

Iron axe will be be an iron axe regardless of whether the "a" is capitalised or not

i know an event thing for reviving characters exists (you don't even need to throw in an "if dead" conditional)

You're thinking of UNCR 0x04 Edited by Brendor the Hungry