How hard is hard mode and what's different?

I can't really say much, because it is my first run of the game, but I started on Hard Mode, and I personally don't think it's too terribly difficult.

The main differences are that Hard Mode has more enemies, gives you less EXP per kill, and enemies have better stats. Note that the EXP difference isn't really noticable, BECAUSE you fight more enemies. Some maps are also changed somewhat, for example chapters 5, 14 and 24 have Fog of War, the Black Knight moves and attacks in chapter 11, and Endgame has a number of changes. The final chapter is much more challenging, with both the true final boss Berserk Ashnard being fought, Ashnard moving and attacking in range (and chasing you from turn 10 if you don't reach him in that amount of time), and Laguz Royals not being able to be summoned until after beating normal Ashnard, instead of turn 2.

Overall Hard mode is something of a step up from Normal, but Hard mode in Path of Radiance is still relatively easy compared to most other FEs, especially when they're on their highest difficulties.

What is the challenge though? It might be easier to tell you if it'll be easy or hard if you say.

Edited by Tables

Marcia Titania and Jill are all contenders for best character in FE9. Astrid is also a really solid unit. Mia is decent. Ilyana is eeeeh, but she can siege things. Calill is amazing. Tanith is also a really good unit. Honestly, the female characters are all amazing in this game.

That shouldn't be very tough, even on Hard. As PKL says, Jill, Titania and Marcia are three of the best units in the game. Ike is also very good. Those four alone are enough that the run will be very manageable. Add in other decent but not great characters like Ilyana, Mist, Calill, Mia and Astrid and you have a strong team.

To be honest, I've heard someone saying that it's easily possible to solo this game with Ike alone, even on hard mode. Jill and Marcia are my MVPs when playing this game anyway, so I'd say a Ike + girls run should be fairly easy, even on hard mode. Astrid is also pretty good, especially if you give her axes on promotion. Titania is amazing

Edited by Nobody

Ike solo kinda falls apart in chapter 17 beacuse he has to carry Leanne.

That chapter I believe could be completely doable. The only thing I do not have is stats for Ike's durability and ability to kill stuff.

Part one, two, and four have the biggest strain on Ike's weapon resources. But, otherwise part two and four can be completed with minimal interaction. You only need to arrive in part 2 and get far enough to spawn Tibarn to kill everything else on the map for Ike. The survival part with Leanne depends upon ike's durability. He only needs to worm away to a particular location to survive for 10 turns and heal up the damage he takes. The next section with Leanne again depends upon him being durable enough to active Tibarn and survive until Tibarn could kill off the boss for him.

Edit: Yeah. He'd have capped hp and speed with available resources up to this point. With Leanne he would not get doubled by anything he would need to encounter. With effective weapons and forges Ike can 2HKO things he needs too. Plus, he would have 16.6 def and 9.6 res with resources up to this point. He is effectively a 5HKO by mages with elfire at 17-3 He has enough bulk to last out that chapter and enough attack to reach the 17-4 part for Tibarn and gang to appear.

Edited by Eri

This talk makes me want to attempt an Ike solo.

Since every stat boost go to Ike, and you have plenty of bonus exp to make sure he's always overleved (and you can even RNG abuse those levels!), I'd say it wouldn't be hard.

Edited by Nobody

To be honest, I've heard someone saying that it's easily possible to solo this game with Ike alone, even on hard mode. Jill and Marcia are my MVPs when playing this game anyway, so I'd say a Ike + girls run should be fairly easy, even on hard mode. Astrid is also pretty good, especially if you give her axes on promotion. Titania is amazing

Chapter 13 I think it is where you get Astrid and Gatrie back, Ike solo and the enemy always seized the spot on turn 1 for insta-game over.

I've had a soldier enemy ORKO one of the soldier NPCs that blocks the way with 2 crits and then a halb (that normally dont move) took the spot in Turn 1 in a draft. I had no say on it because I lacked flight and shovers lol. And Astrid had died too. My luck is bad. Though I'm pretty sure that the myrm always kills Astrid if you dont get her right away.

Edited by PKL

I've had a soldier enemy ORKO one of the soldier NPCs that blocks the way with 2 crits and then a halb (that normally dont move) took the spot in Turn 1 in a draft. I had no say on it because I lacked flight and shovers lol. And Astrid had died too. My luck is bad. Though I'm pretty sure that the myrm always kills Astrid if you dont get her right away.

Oh, yeah. I have had that happen to me before where the Halberdier moves. I do not understand hard mode AI at times across the FE games. The halberdier if I recall stays completely still in all other cases. But, when it came time for it to have a clear shot at the seize point it actually moved.