How hard is hard mode and what's different?

oh man. On that chapter, I killed every single enemy except the boss (Norris). I had Soren and Ike block him from going anywhere, and I positioned all of the units I brought into that chapter around Norris so they could attack him to get some EXP if needed. I got careless, however. I positioned Jill 3 spaces away from him (he had a longbow). Normally, he'd only be able to attack once because she out-speeded him, but he got Adept on the first attack, but she survived the first hit. The second hit, he got a critical (2% chance.) and she died. I didn't restart, though, because I was so far into the chapter.

Not related to hard mode, but while were on the topic of chapter 13...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5t8ALEToN4

Pretty shitty quality but you can see it's very difficult to be able to get past that in an Ike solo and I do not care for reset abusing to hope that a certain NPC survives one round.

The NPC that needs to survive is 6HKO by the looks of it from an archer and two soldiers. I think another soldier can javelin him for a total of 7 possible hits, but I am not sure. I really wish I knew the NPC stats for that level. Otherwise, you see ~100 hitrate from iron lance, 93 from steel lance, and 83 from javelin. ~100 hitrate from archers.

I believe the NPC soldiers are weighed down by steel lances, so those hit rates are probably not going to drop by more than a few percent. But, oh, I forgot about biorhythm effects which change hitrates by like 10% max? So.... I do not think it would be unreasonable to have to reset until you get a round where the soldier blocking the seize point is only hit by 5 of 7 attacks to live.

Edited by Eri

This game is only difficult on Maniac mode, and you need to get a Japanese ISO for that. So yeah, it's totally doable. I beat hard mode over and over doing Ike/Mist duos, Ike/Soren/Mist trios, as well as Ike solos.

Maniac mode might be genuinely difficult, if not impossible to do this on, however. You'd need to break the rules for some chapters, like chapter 5.

I tried doing the harem thing for Maniac mode but I just couldn't do it. It was impossible to beat some of the early chapters with just Ike and Titania, not to mention Mia is useless on Maniac, and most of the ladies come way too late for it (By then Oscar, Boyd, and Soren should be dominating the field that you really only have room for Jill and Marcia and maybe Ilyana), so I just gave up (although I was able to beat the beginning without using Boyd except for like, the first two mandatory chapters ^^)

Does anyone have any statistics on enemy strengths at all compared to hard mode? I know we have information for hard mode, but not the maniac. All I know is that enemies are a bit higher leveled from what I recall and higher density.

• 5 weeks later...

This talk makes me want to attempt an Ike solo.

I did one recently, although in easy mode. I added some "special" things though: I killed every other unit asap, mostly to see what would change in the story. Hardest chapters for me were 13 (if you want the chests but then you also need to protect the apostle's tile) and 17-4. Once you promote things get rather easy.

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC, Rolf, Shinon, Reyson, and Sothe are the only characters who can't solo/technically solo the game. The first two due to weapon restrictions, Reyson for the obvious reason of being unable to attack, and Sothe can't deal enough damage later on.

IIRC, Rolf, Shinon, Reyson, and Sothe are the only characters who can't solo/technically solo the game. The first two due to weapon restrictions, Reyson for the obvious reason of being unable to attack, and Sothe can't deal enough damage later on.

But a solo with anyone but Ike falls apart during the final chapter or is that chapter an exception?

Edited by Soledge

But a solo with anyone but Ike falls apart during the final chapter or is that chapter an exception?

This is why it's a 'technical solo'. If you want to solo with, say, Zihark. When you get to the final chapter you're left with the choice of either stopping once you've killed everything but Ashnard or letting LK/Ike/Dragon kill Ashnard. Most people would consider it 'done' either way though.

Also, you *could* solo with Rolf/Shinon if you were willing to put another unit right beside them to ensure they don't end up locked in by 4 melee units I guess, but would that count?

• 4 weeks later...

Without getting into spoiler territory, the final boss is much more difficult on Hard mode.

If you don't mind the spoiler,

Ashnard actually touches Lehran's Medallion after your fight with him, and now you have to face him again all super-powered.

Tell me, how do you solo the game with Nasir, exactly? Or Tibarn? Or any other character who joins really late?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Tell me, how do you solo the game with Nasir, exactly? Or Tibarn? Or any other character who joins really late?

Well, typically the definition for a solo is that it starts from the point the character joins. So I guess you kind of get by on a technicality.

Even if we use that definition of a "solo", I still can't see Nasir surviving both forms of Ashnard (plus the generic mooks), even with the Demi Band equipped.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

It's doable. IIRC it involves using wrath/resolve and possibly just dumping every stat-up item onto him as well as using the gems and not the band.

Regardless, if he really can't solo Ashnard in one or both forms his solo would be 'done' as soon as he killed every other unit at worst.

Even if we use that definition of a "solo", I still can't see Nasir surviving both forms of Ashnard (plus the generic mooks), even with the Demi Band equipped.

Doesn't seem that hard to me. After eating statboosters and BEXP he has something like 74 HP, 32 AS, 30 DEF and 41 attack, and he can run Wrath/Resolve/Nihil as an OP skillset. Give him three Elixirs and a Full Guard and I reckon he should be alright.

Edit: Oh, uh, can't use Full Guard with the Demi Band. Screw the Full Guard then. Effective weapons aren't really that scary anyway, and Thunder magic is a joke compared to his RES (with Talismans/BEXP on Nasir, Rexbolt!Heddwyn deals single digit damage)

Edited by Tables