Summer Games Done Quick 2014

Orpheon

Games Done Quick!

It's that time of the year again! Summer Games Done Quick will be running from June 22nd until January 28th, and will consists of 24 hour speedruns done by the community of SpeedRunsLive, and SpeedDemosArchive. This is a charity event, in comibination with Awesome Games Done Quick previously in January, will be putting all donations to the Prevent Cancer Foundation!

Here is the schedule for who will be running what games and at which times: http://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Edited by DualSilverGunner

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I was just going to make this thread.

Of particular interest to the community here, note that at 1:20pm (GMT) on Wednesday, a Fire Emblem will be speedrun. There's a donation/bidding war over whether it'll be FE7 or FE8. I would encourage people to donate money towards the one they want to see beaten fast. Unless something has changed recently: FE7 is being run by Molotov and he has an RNG manipulated route he uses - so you can expect to see 'magic' turns where the RNG is crazy, insane level ups, and the primary skills on show being the memorisation and optimisation of the route. FE8 is run by Bertin, who doesn't RNG manipulate, meaning anything can happen. Expect to see ups and downs and on-the-fly backup strats where needed, as well as hopefully a lot of memorisation and optimisation.

(My money is personally going towards FE7, unless I find out Bertin learned the FE8 manipulation routes...)

All current FE GBA speedrunners and lowturners use RNG sequencing instead of burning RN's for amazing level ups etc. Neither of these runs seem all that interesting to me in either case, FE7 because it's lame to watch someone burn RN's half the screen time and FE8 because it will probably end up being quite unreliable.

Also a tidbit AFAIK vykan holds the world record for both games in a single-segment, non-TAS run and I'd be more interested in seeing him play or commentate.

I'm really looking forward to the 4-way Super Metroid Race. Garrison is one of my all time, favorite Super Metroid runners, so I'll be rooting for him with zoast second. Trihex's Yoshi's Island run will be cool since Carl Sagan's run last year completely blew my mind, and if I understood right, Trihex taught Sagan most of what he knows. And who, of course, could forget Cosmo? I think his Zelda runs alone generate the most hype, especially since he'll be running WWHD this year after his OoT ique run last year.

Heh, I just signed in specifically to post this topic. Good to see that there's interest already and I didn't have to do anything.

All current FE GBA speedrunners and lowturners use RNG sequencing instead of burning RN's for amazing level ups etc. Neither of these runs seem all that interesting to me in either case, FE7 because it's lame to watch someone burn RN's half the screen time and FE8 because it will probably end up being quite unreliable.

Also a tidbit AFAIK vykan holds the world record for both games in a single-segment, non-TAS run and I'd be more interested in seeing him play or commentate.

Actually, my route for Rekka doesn't involve that much RN burning. I try to do things in a certain order to minimize direct manipulation. It's sometimes faster that way and it's more entertaining to watch. I didn't know Vykan ran Rekka though. What's his time? My record right now is something like 1:29:30 or so.

But yeah, donate for 7. I'm totally not biased though. :P

Welp. Fire alarm went off in the middle of Trihex's Yoshi's Island run. Hopefully it doesn't affect his momentum, especially since he had a really good run going too.

I've spent much of yesterday and part of today watching this, and I'm pretty impressed! First time watching speed runs of any kind.

Can't wait for tomorrow! Lots of Super Mario Bros. and Zelda on the way! :D

I'm happy....I basically expected them to go with FE7, and imagine my surprise when I woke up to FE8. FE7 is ok, but FE8 has been my all time favorite, and I'm kinda happy it doesn't always get eclipsed and overshadowed by FE7, like now. Still sorta wish they would have a block or two more for more FE games.

Of course, the completionist in me is cringing every time a character recruit is sacrificed for the speedrun. >.<

Red Fox of Fire: This commentator is terrible

Red Fox of Fire: He said that rescue penalties are based on the CON of the rescued unit

Red Fox of Fire: I've never even heard of that as a rumor or something

Red Fox of Fire: Oh God

Red Fox of Fire: Now they're saying that Luck adds to your crit

Red Fox of Fire: I think

Red Fox of Fire: They kind of mentioned it but then focused on how it reduces enemy crit

Red Fox of Fire: "Pirates get a big avoid boost from the water"

Red Fox of Fire: +10 avoid

Red Fox of Fire: Amelia is a really good unit

Red Fox of Fire: UGH

Red Fox of Fire: "Swordmaster gets +5% crit"

Red Fox of Fire: No one corrects him

Red Fox of Fire: Laments over leaving an enemy at 1 HP

Red Fox of Fire: Used Thunder when he had Elfire

Red Fox of Fire: Donator mentions Ike solo as potential speedrun category

Red Fox of Fire: "It basically is the speedrun already"

Red Fox of Fire: Holy shit these people know nothing

Red Fox of Fire: >Rescues Seth

Red Fox of Fire: >Hesitates, doesn't know where to go

Good thing Ephraim is a beast.

But yeah, I kinda feel bad for this commentator; so much RNG screwage and those careless mistakes.....but honestly though, I don't think he could've beaten it within two hours without a lot of skill and a certain amount of luck. They really fudged that estimate up. Should've been 2 1/2 or 3 hours, since you have to account for serious errors like losing a lord at the end of a fairly long chapter.

Anyways, I still want him to finish the run, but man, he should really stop spamming Myrhh so much...

Ahh, too bad, Speedrun aborted.....and on my fave FE too, not to mention the shorter one in comparison to FE7...

Edited by Silver Lightning

Well, I missed the FE run due to time zones and what not, but judging by the reactions in this thread, it seems like it didn't really go so well.

And regarding the commentator, the least they could have done is put KirbyMastah on the couch to commentate since he frequents this forum if they hadn't already. He probably could have offered more insight on luck and the like.

Edited by DualSilverGunner

The player was bad mostly because he apparently didn't realize that there's no such thing as luck in FEGBA. Aside from that, though, I think Fire Emblem is a bad fit for one of these anyways. Maybe yaymarsha could do his FE11 run one year though. That's a real speed run.

Wow. I stopped watching at about 1:20 in, during chapter 14. How did he fail that badly? He doesn't even seem to properly know the game.

What's a real shame is that this will probably do the same thing to Fire Emblem as what happened to Halo - the run was so bad that FE automatically seems like a 'bad fit' and this run will be cited as an example time and time again for why Fire Emblem doesn't get another chance for 2-3 years. But it's sad - if Molotov did his run, it would have probably been far better, completed in under 2 hours (comfortably), with it's awesome RNG manipulation and generally would have probably guaranteed another FE at SGDQ.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about this, and Vykan's FE10 run will get in for SGDQ, but we'll see. FE10 would be a great watch, mainly because the whole thing has been carefully and cleverly routed, with lots of backup strats and in battle saves to reduce the RNG. The world record for FE10 is 2:53.06, and I think 3:30 would be an easy estimate for Vykan to reach.

But yeah, I kinda feel bad for this commentator; so much RNG screwage and those careless mistakes.....but honestly though, I don't think he could've beaten it within two hours without a lot of skill and a certain amount of luck. They really fudged that estimate up. Should've been 2 1/2 or 3 hours, since you have to account for serious errors like losing a lord at the end of a fairly long chapter.

There's no such thing as RNG screwage in the GBA Fire Emblems. The RNG is entirely predictable, and the run should be 100% taking advantage of that. The WR for Sacred Stones is around 1:13, and an estimate of 1:40 should have been comfortably met even if the runner screwed up a couple of chapters late (and if you only screw up e.g. moving a character wrong, you just soft reset and load from a Suspend, which loses probably about 15 seconds each time. You need to actively do something wrong, like dropping Eirika at the end of a chapter to need to fully reset a chapter. Bertin was just bad and didn't utilise all the tricks available (willing to CEG but not RNG manipulate? What?).

Maybe yaymarsha could do his FE11 run one year though. That's a real speed run.

FE11-13 are really bad speedruns to watch, especially for someone who doesn't know the series. The screen repeatedly turns black for long periods of time, and then you end the chapter.

What's a real shame is that this will probably do the same thing to Fire Emblem as what happened to Halo - the run was so bad that FE automatically seems like a 'bad fit' and this run will be cited as an example time and time again for why Fire Emblem doesn't get another chance for 2-3 years.

This is what most disappointed me about the run. It was such bad representation for the series. And some of the things the commentators got wrong (and were never corrected on) were just shocking. Like, rescue penalties being higher if the rescued unit's CON is higher? I've never heard of that even as some kind of strange rumor. At least Luck adding to crit isn't an uncommon misconception, but it's still a fairly amateurish mistake.

Eh, maybe I'm being overly harsh on them because I know the games as well as I do. But then, if they're gonna be speedrunners and commentators, they should know these things, right? This site was even mentioned, so it's not like they don't know where the information is.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire