I found a bit of a problem with my fire emblem 6 hack now with patch included

Duncan Idaho

First hello to the members of the comunity i am kinda of a newbie modder/hacker/whatever is the correct term for me i am posting here due that I have been using nightmare to mod Fire Emblem 6 to my liking and i found a rather nasty obstacle in the process, i have applied the last of the mods i wanted but when i promote the character the game freezes, it happens to any and all characters.

If any one wishes is can upload a patch or the ro and my savefile to show whats the issue.

The only changes i have done so far are:

I increased all recruitable characters growth rates to 250%, i gave the legend weapons the Rapier, along Al sword and Gant's spear the same stat boost as the Dark Dragon stone gives to Idoun and finally i made all the promoted magic classes to have access to all forms of magic, IE Sages also can use dark tomes, Druids can use light magic, Valkyries can use both.

And finally all weapons have unlimited uses.

As a side note this was inspired in a sense from a brawl mod project that aims to break all characters, i have the same aim in my hacks.

Edited by Duncan Idaho

Three notes:

1. Do NOT ask for ROMs here. Do NOT upload/link to ROMs. Patches are fine.

2. What program are you using to apply the mods?

3. What was the last set of mods you applied before things froze?

Three notes:

1. Do NOT ask for ROMs here. Do NOT upload/link to ROMs. Patches are fine.

2. What program are you using to apply the mods?

3. What was the last set of mods you applied before things froze?

1) I wont upload roms, i wasnt sure what was the policy so i will uploading a patch later.

2) The program is nightmare 2.

3) i increased the status growth % to 250% for all characters you can recruit along making sure that all valkyries, sages and druids have access to the whole magic triangle.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fp0e1e81h3h56ip/fe6%20UB%20prototype.ups -> patch for an english FE6 game

EDIT: the freeze happens post stat growths, when the game should display to me the new ranks of weapons availble, it does it with all units.

Edited by Duncan Idaho

I believe this topic might be happening. Can you run a test and get someone to level up their weapon rank WITHOUT promoting them?

I'll try, i was actually reducing the growth levels to 100 before that, give me 30 mins or so in order to check.

I cannot, as soon as the unit gets their weapon upgraded the game freezes.

EDIT: i tested again by using a CB code to put a unit's sword level to A and then i promoted it, same issue as before game freezes, will i have to re-do the hack?

Edited by Duncan Idaho

Ok i can confirm it has to do with the growth rates, i dunno why but upping them to 250 crashes the game upon promotion, i started from scratch with a new ROM and only did two things, all characters get 250% growth rates and i modded the Druid M and F, the Bishop M and F and finally the Sage M and F clases to be able to use all kinds of magic, same results as before, game crashes as soon as the growths finish.

Reducing the stats to 100 still triggers the freeze, all i can assume is the game does not likes having it's stats growths messed around.

Altho can any one test a theory of mine? make all recruitable character growths to be 250 then take the class growths and put them in the same number and see if it still freezes, i guess it could be a disparity between class and growth %

Correction FE6 plain hates you messing around with the classes even if i dont touch the growths the game crashes.

Edited by Duncan Idaho

I might be wrong, but im pretty sure nightmare 2 is incomplete, and the last thing anyone cares about is compatability with FE6. Which is sad considering its basically 7 with trial maps, working dragons, and no tutorial bullshit.

Good to see you got it working though. Have fun.

I might be wrong, but im pretty sure nightmare 2 is incomplete, and the last thing anyone cares about is compatability with FE6. Which is sad considering its basically 7 with trial maps, working dragons, and no tutorial bullshit.

Good to see you got it working though. Have fun.

I will, and i also find that saddening, FE6 is such a wonderful game, it has just the right lenght, not too long nor too short, it has enough challenge and i like that, and i often wonder why no one makes an ENG patch for FE7 J? i mean if no one wants the BS that is the tutorial all they need is to pretty much rip the FE7 U text and inject it onto a FE7 J rom.

Thanks for all the help and Nightmare 2 is incomplete? must be the reason why i suddendly have 3 allied units positioned over three enemy units in FE 8 i was trying to position Glenn there to recruit him.

Edited by Duncan Idaho

something tells me it's not nearly that easy

Chances are that some descriptions will be need to be cut from the text all together due that probably the J version uses less characters per phrase than english or spanish that reduces the amount of avalible space to insert text, iirc Blazer faced a similar issue when Translating fire emblem 12

It's easier to use a patch that kills the tutorials (which exists, by the way) than to import all of the text

Chances are that some descriptions will be need to be cut from the text all together due that probably the J version uses less characters per phrase than english or spanish that reduces the amount of avalible space to insert text, iirc Blazer faced a similar issue when Translating fire emblem 12

I'm almost certain that FE7's text boxes are adaptive so this wouldn't be an issue.

there's also the issue of, you know, the roman characters not existing natively in the J ROM (or even if they do they're certainly not referenced the same way)

Edited by CT075