Arbitrary Poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spider Man new villains would you like to see in future Spider Man movies?

Marvel's fun, but in the end I still prefer DC when it comes to favorite characters.

[Tho my favorites aren't really well known :P:]

Oh and I want to see a ww2 era marvel movie featuring the entirety of it's golden age/retcon'd characters like THE DESTROYER and THE WHIZZER.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvel movies are pretty formulaic. The fun is in the details. RDJr's Iron Man, Tom Hiddleston's Loki. The actors help create the universe in a way that keeps the viewers hooked.

Sometimes I find that being a hardcore Marvel fan (I'm not) is detrimental to the enjoyment of the movies, because you keep comparing to the comics, and this, and that, and don't enjoy the movies for what they are.

Marvel movies are pretty formulaic. The fun is in the details. RDJr's Iron Man, Tom Hiddleston's Loki. The actors help create the universe in a way that keeps the viewers hooked.

Sometimes I find that being a hardcore Marvel fan (I'm not) is detrimental to the enjoyment of the movies, because you keep comparing to the comics, and this, and that, and don't enjoy the movies for what they are.

You mean catching the cameos of Stan Lee, Lou Ferrigno, etc. ?

Marvel movies are pretty formulaic. The fun is in the details. RDJr's Iron Man, Tom Hiddleston's Loki. The actors help create the universe in a way that keeps the viewers hooked.Sometimes I find that being a hardcore Marvel fan (I'm not) is detrimental to the enjoyment of the movies, because you keep comparing to the comics, and this, and that, and don't enjoy the movies for what they are.

I actually really enjoy the movies in part because I can compare them to the comics. I'm just as interested in the interpretation as the product, and I think it's really cool to see how one thing is alike or different to its counterparts, seeing the inspiration and originality.

But I'm crazy, so who knows?

Not really. I have a friend whos a mad Marvel fanboy and he loves the movies just fine. He even likes the ones i dont. (Like Daredevil and some of the X-Men ones and the Spidey reboot.) I see the MCU as just another telling of the heroes. Thats the beauty of the comics, you can find different iterations of them and they still work just as well. God Of Thunder is quite different from The Mighty Thor and the latter is a little different from Ultimate Thor, etc. The films are just like that i guess. I dont follow a lot of the Marvel comics outside Thor anyway so its not even a thing most of the time.

I got into comics from the movies. Saw the Avengers, saw the other MCU movies, really got hooked on Thor because Chris Tom brother dynamics. Read the entire backlog of Thor comics and here I am.

I happen to like the way Thor is handled in the comics better. Not in terms of acting because Chris and Tom are perfect, but storywise. Comic Thor has that whole sense of... I'm terrible at words so these might not be the best to describe it but---grandness-- to him that simply writing him off as a demigod and taking away a good portion of his powers doesn't have. For me, once you go full on GOD Thor, you can't go back.

I still love the movies, but it doesn't mean I can't have my qualms about them. I'd love a Hemsworth rendition of God of Thunder Aaron Thor, though. Probably won't happen but hey, one can dream!

People didn't like Captain America? I thought it was good, and I'm looking forward to seeing Winter Soldier.

And I thought I was the only one in this universe liking him...

I'm also itching for Winter Soldier.

Edited by Frosty the Snowman

I thought Thor was thoroughly (hurhur) mediocre (i've heard Thor 2 massively ups the cheese factor, so i need to see that), Capt America was decent, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 1+3 were great. I also really liked Iron Man 2, more than 3 actually. Amazing Spiderman was pretty damn bad and pales in comparison to the Raimi films, and Ghost Rider 2 (1 was entirely boring) was half extremely entertaining and half extremely uninteresting.

Edited by Constable Reggie

In general, I am really annoyed by all of the remakes and forced continuation of existing stories. Maybe this was done in the past, but I feel its worse now. The Hobbit was forced into a three movie trilogy with there being heavily new content thrown in. Many animated studios were making 2nd and 3rd movies of stories that really could have already come to an end. Shrek spun off 5 movies. Madagascar made 3 movies (4th in the making) along with Ice Age. Disney is bringing back the Star Wars trilogy for 7,8,9. And Pirates of the Caribbean spawned two extra movies beyond the original trilogy.

Now, they will have done about 5 spider man movies across two iterations within a single decade. X-men spawned a whole iteration of films recently. Superman I think has been redone several times in the past and now. Plus, 3 iron man movies. I do not keep up with Marvel lore much, but can anyone tell me if all of these iterations of the films in anyway follow the original roots closely? Judging from the trailer of the recent Spiderman 2 (4th generation?) not much has changed other than different actors and special effects improvement.

I dunno. I am just sort of annoyed that it seems they keep rehashing the same series without doing completely new original movies. Spiderman should not have two iterations within a decade.

I thought Thor was thoroughly (hurhur) mediocre (i've heard Thor 2 massively ups the cheese factor, so i need to see that), Capt America was decent, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 1+3 were great. I also really liked Iron Man 2, more than 3 actually. Amazing Spiderman was pretty damn bad and pales in comparison to the Raimi films, and Ghost Rider 2 (1 was entirely boring) was half extremely entertaining and half extremely uninteresting.

I was watching Iron Man 2 a bit recently in the break room at work, and I found myself enjoying it fairly well. Moreseo than when I first saw it. Which is odd, because subsequent watchings of 3 I enjoyed much less than the original viewing. While I don't think it was as over-the-top as the third was, I still think it was the weakest of the three. Also Ghost Rider 2 was irredeemably bad. It's one of the only times I ever felt like leaving the theater. Like holy shit that film was awful.

I didn't like Thor 2 for a number of reasons, but I guess it was worth it to see Thor and Loki interact more. They should have had a movie framed around that rather than what happened.

Now, they will have done about 5 spider man movies across two iterations within a single decade. X-men spawned a whole iteration of films recently. Superman I think has been redone several times in the past and now. Plus, 3 iron man movies. I do not keep up with Marvel lore much, but can anyone tell me if all of these iterations of the films in anyway follow the original roots closely? Judging from the trailer of the recent Spiderman 2 (4th generation?) not much has changed other than different actors and special effects improvement.

Rarely do any of them follow the original roots closely, because the original roots are boring for today's audiences and contradicted by later comic arcs anyways. Example: Iron Man was originally about Tony Stark in Vietnam, yet in the film adaptation he is represented as being in Iraq. This is mirrored in later Iron Man comic arcs.

Comic book canon is always being molded and shaped. Some people just like seeing cool characters doing cool things. If everything was about original IP then there wouldn't be very many movies, would there?

Edited by Esau of Isaac

I was watching Iron Man 2 a bit recently in the break room at work, and I found myself enjoying it fairly well. Moreseo than when I first saw it. Which is odd, because subsequent watchings of 3 I enjoyed much less than the original viewing. While I don't think it was as over-the-top as the third was, I still think it was the weakest of the three. Also Ghost Rider 2 was irredeemably bad. It's one of the only times I ever felt like leaving the theater. Like holy shit that film was awful.

Iron Man 2 I particularly liked since Don Cheadle played a pretty big role in it and I really enjoy his performances (his banter with Tony is great imo), and I really enjoyed Hammer hamming (hurhur) it up. The film would have been better if the Avengers shit (black widow, nick fury) was thrown out entirely or kept as the usual post-credits scene, but meh. I really liked Iron Man 3 up until he gets leaves redneck land, where the movie kinda teetered a bit. The "oh I've got 500 iron man suits up my ass" sequence went on for a bit too long, and was somewhat tiring. Really liked the airplane scene, though.

There were enough things in Ghost Rider 2 that kept me somewhat entertained throughout the film. The motocycle transformation sequence was fucking fantastic, and Nick Cage has a decent number of unintentionally funny lines and delivery. The action scenes looked pretty good, too. I can understand people hating it though, since it feels really sporadic.

Does Thor 2 require you to tilt your head for most of the movie like the first one does?

I don't feel bothered by all these superhero movies. The marvel cinematic universe is the first time many of these characters have been in a feature film, and for the others it been quite a while since they last had.

SpiderMan is owned by Sony as far as film rights go, so them making their movies at the same time as Marvel is more a coincidence or, of anything, riding the same wave. They were going to lose the rights unless they made another film and the couldn't work out a Spider Man 4, which is why they rebooted.

Fox's stuff has gone awhile without anything. The most recent was 2007 Fantastic Four 2 if I remember, but I'm pretty excited about that new Daredevil show coming up in a bit.

Iron Man 2 is a great movie, can't say which Iron Man film I like the most though.

Iron Man 2 I particularly liked since Don Cheadle played a pretty big role in it and I really enjoy his performances (his banter with Tony is great imo), and I really enjoyed Hammer hamming (hurhur) it up. The film would have been better if the Avengers shit (black widow, nick fury) was thrown out entirely or kept as the usual post-credits scene, but meh. I really liked Iron Man 3 up until he gets leaves redneck land, where the movie kinda teetered a bit. The "oh I've got 500 iron man suits up my ass" sequence went on for a bit too long, and was somewhat tiring. Really liked the airplane scene, though.

There were enough things in Ghost Rider 2 that kept me somewhat entertained throughout the film. The motocycle transformation sequence was fucking fantastic, and Nick Cage has a decent number of unintentionally funny lines and delivery. The action scenes looked pretty good, too. I can understand people hating it though, since it feels really sporadic.

Does Thor 2 require you to tilt your head for most of the movie like the first one does?

The entirety of Thor 2's plot and events is an incredible contrivance. The heroine of the movie is endangered and needs saving because she falls into a random portal and randomly teleports to the one point in the entire universal cosmos where the movie's plot device was hidden away from the Big Bad Dick by the Aesir millenia prior. There are so many things that irritate me about the movie, such as the ridiculous way that Asgard and its inhabitants are portrayed, to the way that nurses in a magical realm are well aware of by name and utilize stupidly obscure theoretical physics from Earth. It's the first of the real big budget Marvel movies that I quite disliked.

I think they should have just left most of Asgard and the other realms to imagination, or at least moreso than they did.

I think they should have just left most of Asgard and the other realms to imagination, or at least moreso than they did.

Interesting take, since I considered the Earth parts in the first Thor to be the most dreadfully dull and/or boring (with exception to the few scenes at the complex around the hammer).

So yep, Marvel movies. What do you guys think of them?

They are entertaining, at least. Other than the humorous scenes that you may saw in countless other movies, they are pretty much ridiculous and stupid. Both Ghost Rider movies are bad, really bad. Both Fantastic Four movies are bad also. The only watchable Ironman movie was the first. The first X-men movie is fine, the rest and the spin-off are just bad. Oh and the Captain America movie, it's stupid. The first Thor movie was kinda bland, but not that bad. The first and the second Spiderman movies are fine but I found the third to be...I am not sure, may be just bad. The Hulk movies are both terrible, the worst of them Marvel movies. And dont even mention the Amazing Spiderman movie, the worst of all Spidey movies. Daredevil...it was so long ago, surprisingly, I enjoyed it. The Avengers was so stupid, I laughed while I was watching it, that's it. The jokes are so lame, the only reason why I actually laughed is because it's super heroes who were making the jokes. If it is some unknown characters in a comedy movie, I would left the cinema right away.

• 3 weeks later...

Nah. Dutch angles arent really a thing in Thor 2. Different directors.

Interesting take, since I considered the Earth parts in the first Thor to be the most dreadfully dull and/or boring (with exception to the few scenes at the complex around the hammer).

Thor 2, the most interesting shit happens outside of Midgard as well. Midgard/Earth basically has Darcy and Selvig running around. All the good shit still happens in Asgard and later, Svartalfheim. The climax takes place on Earth and its kinda hilarious.

It's really disappointing when Asgard is revealed to be more or less the exact same as Earth but just more shiny.

Blame the MCU for that. Some of us are still a bit...peeved. When Odin says "We arent truly gods", i died inside a little. I get gripes about Thor 2's plot. I really do. But all the shit in between and Thor being Mr. Pragmatic really rocks my socks.

They are entertaining, at least. Other than the humorous scenes that you may saw in countless other movies, they are pretty much ridiculous and stupid. Both Ghost Rider movies are bad, really bad. Both Fantastic Four movies are bad also. The only watchable Ironman movie was the first. The first X-men movie is fine, the rest and the spin-off are just bad. Oh and the Captain America movie, it's stupid. The first Thor movie was kinda bland, but not that bad. The first and the second Spiderman movies are fine but I found the third to be...I am not sure, may be just bad. The Hulk movies are both terrible, the worst of them Marvel movies. And dont even mention the Amazing Spiderman movie, the worst of all Spidey movies. Daredevil...it was so long ago, surprisingly, I enjoyed it. The Avengers was so stupid, I laughed while I was watching it, that's it. The jokes are so lame, the only reason why I actually laughed is because it's super heroes who were making the jokes. If it is some unknown characters in a comedy movie, I would left the cinema right away.

Pretty sure that, by "Marvel movies", the OP is referring to the movies made by Marvel themselves, not all of the movies with Marvel characters, which leaves out Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, X-Men and Spiderman, since they were made by other studios.

If you're going into that, though, I'd say the Wolverine movies are unnecessary. Yeah, Wolverine is the most iconic X-Man, he has his own comic, etc., etc., but his movies aren't great. I loved First Class, though, because Michael Fassbender <3 and the story was compelling.

There are a few ridiculous things in Marvel movies, IMO, like how Tony Stark built his first suit. I can't figure out how he was able to do that, even as the genius he is and with help from the other scientist. If you ignore that, though, the first Iron Man is pretty good, even though you can see from miles away that Obadiah is the main antagonist.