Arbitrary Poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spider Man new villains would you like to see in future Spider Man movies?

TBH I didn't like the Thor from the first movie either, he acted too much like a dumb blonde, especially in the beginning when he's cast away from Asgard. Ironically such behavior is more true to the mythological Thor, who wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and was a glutton. Loki is more appealing to me.

For some reason, though, I find Thor's seriousness and solemnity to be hilarious. It really makes you feel he's from a different world.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bothers me when people call Thor stupid. Would go into a meta rant here but it'd get pretty fucking long.

Yes, movie Thor inclusive. Movie Thor got me to read all 600+ issues of backlog of his comics in the first place.

Bothers me when people call Thor stupid. Would go into a meta rant here but it'd get pretty fucking long.

Yes, movie Thor inclusive. Movie Thor got me to read all 600+ issues of backlog of his comics in the first place.

Well, Malebolganone isnt too off the mark about Thor's actual mythological counterpart. Asa-Thor is quite the hothead and prone to punching and Mjolniring anything that upsets him. See his encounters with Utgard-Loki for details And unlike the comicverse, Asa-Thor doesnt get the kind of 'character development' that Comic!Thor gets. Asa-Thor (which is what i will be calling the mythological counterpart) is the embodiment of defender of man and strength. So he just sort of bashes heads to make a point.

Comic!Thor is different. He goes through many trials that require him to change his world(s)view. Because thats how storytelling for a modern audience works. In the films, Thor undergoes a lot of character development in a short span of time. His banishment, his unable to move Mjolnir, his encounters with Jane and Erik, the lies Loki tells, its all a part of how he changes to much less hotheaded and more measured. Thor 2 shows this in huge ways. In Avengers, Thor gets a lot of heat from fandom for being "still a hotheaded moron." People dont realize that hes trying to deal with the aftermath of what happened in Asgard. (Bifrost, the loss of Loki, getting shit squared away) And he just learns that his brother, who he thought dead, is not just alive, but shit disturbing in the highest order. So yeah, Thor is angry. And now he must deal with a bunch of other supers with...issues. I dont blame him for socking Tony in the face and trying to kick his ass. Thor in Thor 2 is trying to keep order in the Nine Realms, on top of being a bit heartsick over Jane, and dealing with Loki's binding imprisonment. As the film goes on, plot bombs everywhere and we see a very pragmatic and measured Thor. So yeah, it does get my goat too when people say MCU-Thor is still a moron after three movies.

Even Myth!Thor had his moments, though. The story of Alvissmal tells of Thor outwitting a dwarf who he doesn't particularly want to marry his daughter to. I've always felt that Thor's more or less actually intelligent, he just prefers bashing heads in.

Which speaks to me on a personal level.

Even Myth!Thor had his moments, though. The story of Alvissmal tells of Thor outwitting a dwarf who he doesn't particularly want to marry his daughter to. I've always felt that Thor's more or less actually intelligent, he just prefers bashing heads in.

Which speaks to me on a personal level.

Also his going along with Heimdall's plan to get Mjolnir back in the original myths. Shows hes willing to be tricksy or pragmatic when the need arises. (doesnt mean he likes it.) So agreed. Loki in the myths speaks to me on a very personal level, so yes, i understand.