Should the next Fire Emblem be associated with Awakening?

Zukonima

Erm, didn't he inherit Ragnell? Because he's IKE's decendant and all?

Ragnell is one of Begnion's national treasures. That's why Ike returned the sword between the games.

I find it hard to imagine that after the war Sanaki left this artifact to some mercenary who then went off to explore unknown islands and traveled through dimensional portals.

Though, the scene where she gives the sword back to Ike does sound like he is supposed to keep it this time around.

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they decide to have the next FE be related in some way to FE13, then it better have something to do with Chrom's father. Apparently he was a jerkass, and it'd be interesting to see his story and a take on his character.

Though I'd rather have a Magvel expansion. FE8 needs more love.

You do know Marth is far from the most recognizable character in SSB right? A game with Mario and Pikachu, franchises which stomp Fire Emblem in terms of popularity even in Japan, and you want to convince me Marth is the reason it sold so much. Good luck.

Without Marth/Roy in Melee, there would literally be no Fire Emblem in the west, thus no Awakening. Do your research.

Ragnell is one of Begnion's national treasures. That's why Ike returned the sword between the games.

I find it hard to imagine that after the war Sanaki left this artifact to some mercenary who then went off to explore unknown islands and traveled through dimensional portals.

Though, the scene where she gives the sword back to Ike does sound like he is supposed to keep it this time around.

The first time it was kinda stolen, and Ike just used it. He returned it after the war because it's a national treasure.

The second time he gets it, it was given to him as payment to get him to fight that war. Ike didn't give it back in RD.

:\

Am I the only one who actually adores Marth and wants to see him in another game? The majority seems to dislike him.

Pretty sure you aren't. And idk, SF is weird in tastes. Marth's pretty popular with Smash tournament-goers though.~

Am I the only one who actually adores Marth and wants to see him in another game? The majority seems to dislike him.

I love Marth. I'm just not sure what else IS can do with him. He's been through the ringer twice, giving us FE11's snarky-rebel!Marth and FE12's woobie-prince!Marth, and then we got the whole FE13 bait-and-switch. Would you want him in a new game if he just got sidelined after the first chapter (see: Eliwood) or killed to further the plot along (see: Hector, Greil, etc), and then the game was about Caeda Jr?

And I never want to see a game in which Caeda gets offed for teh drama.

Edited by Cymbalina's Revenge

Erm, didn't he inherit Ragnell? Because he's IKE's decendant and all?

Personally, since I want more Elibe, the 6/7 remake sound nice. I wouldn't mind a Tellius sequel too with Mist as a main character, mostly because... you probably already know that.

As for Awakening sequels, I wouldn't mind a distant future type (duh?) but I've had enough of Chrom and Robin. I don't mind Lucina, so I guess her getting her own game would be fine too.

Magvel's cool. I wouldn't mind continuing with it, since FE8 is the ONLY FE not connected to another, so there's an extra point there.

Fair enough. Anything explaining how Priam became a legend with a huge army training with him would be good.

The first time it was kinda stolen, and Ike just used it. He returned it after the war because it's a national treasure.

The second time he gets it, it was given to him as payment to get him to fight that war. Ike didn't give it back in RD.

:\

I seem to recall Sanaki saying in FE10 he'd be giving it back. Is there anything explicitly establishing he doesn't give it back?

I wouldn't mind an Awakening sequel. Sure, many of us think Awakening was rather flawed, but I think the potential for a better story with the Awakening world is definitely there. So much was left unexplained, or underdeveloped, so I think it would be nice to flesh out the characters and world. If only to eliminate the bitter taste in the Serenes Forest community's mouths

Am I mistaken in believing that Awakening is the Other M of Fire Emblem over here? Just because people didn't like how Samus was portrayed, doesn't mean she has to return to her silent self. You can always improve her character in subsequent games.

You do know Marth is far from the most recognizable character in SSB right? A game with Mario and Pikachu, franchises which stomp Fire Emblem in terms of popularity even in Japan, and you want to convince me Marth is the reason it sold so much. Good luck.

I never said that. My point isn't that Marth is so popular that a game he was in sold millions of copies because he was in it, it's that the first localized game he was in sold millions of copies and he got a ton of western exposure, at least an order of magnitude more than Chrom.

I wouldn't mind a prequel that focuses more on the Valm continent (I would love to see some more of Walhart when he was younger). The story elements in Awakening for the most part are awful, but then again, Fe7 did fantastic with what it was left with. And good god do not follow the shit support convo structure that Awakening did, please.

A return to the GBA support style (not point gain, though. Awakening point gain system can stay) might be more beneficial for character reasons, IMO. A problem I noticed with everyone supports everyone is that sometimes, once in a blue moon in this game's case, character development happens. But then you do another support, and the character reverts and all traces of development is gone. The content either need to be diversified a lot more, or limit the amount of supports that can be read at once. Ideally, you could have character supports read differently if another support or some story event has occured, but especially in case of the former, that would be too many variables and the extra coding and writing would be a hassle to do. It'd be great if it happens, but it's not likely and I wouldn't blame them either.

The extra coding would actually be pretty easy. Designing all the supports, on the other hand (let alone writing them all out) would be a nightmare.

But it's very annoying to read Nowi x Gaius when Nowi is already married. Or practically any of Lon'qu's supports when he's married. Same goes for Cordelia (although she actually does get a support change in the Scramble Pack based on her pairing, so she's a different case).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I wouldn't mind an Awakening sequel. Sure, many of us think Awakening was rather flawed, but I think the potential for a better story with the Awakening world is definitely there. So much was left unexplained, or underdeveloped, so I think it would be nice to flesh out the characters and world. If only to eliminate the bitter taste in the Serenes Forest community's mouths

Am I mistaken in believing that Awakening is the Other M of Fire Emblem over here? Just because people didn't like how Samus was portrayed, doesn't mean she has to return to her silent self. You can always improve her character in subsequent games.

Oh no, its not that bad. Other M while having decent gameplay destroyed Samus's character. She isn't exactly that silent either. You see Fusion? Or her monologues in Super Metroid, or the canonical Manga.

Awakening did its own thing with some established deals from the past. People are mixed on its result

Oh no, its not that bad. Other M while having decent gameplay destroyed Samus's character. She isn't exactly that silent either. You see Fusion? Or her monologues in Super Metroid, or the canonical Manga.

Awakening did its own thing with some established deals from the past. People are mixed on its result

To be honest, Other M is basically Fusion in 3D. Those two games are VERY similar, imo.

And I wouldn't exactly count her monologues in Super Metroid has defining her character in any meaningful way. Using the manga as an example also seems kind of like a crutch, Nintendo hasn't done much to integrate it with the games.

To be honest, Other M is basically Fusion in 3D. Those two games are VERY similar, imo.

And I wouldn't exactly count her monologues in Super Metroid has defining her character in any meaningful way. Using the manga as an example also seems kind of like a crutch, Nintendo hasn't done much to integrate it with the games.

The thing is that they took the aspect of Fusion people disliked the most, reinforced them and then added other useless mechanics and added a story with the exact same plot twist at the end, but not nearly as well done. Fusion didn't make Samus seem subservient or useless (Samus could have been absent from the Other M story line and not much would have changed) and even though there was some locked doors to deal with, they never really prevented backtracking or discouraged exploration like Other M did. And the story is really bad. I personally find the lore of Bryyo and Elysia from MP3 to be more entertaining than Other M's.

If I try to connect this Awakening, even with it's shortcoming, it is a good FE game to play and respect the spirit of the series for the most part. It's still a story-heavy strategy RPG with a lot of focus on the characters(people can argue over the quality of said story and characters though). Other M felt more like a spin-off metroid game since it's mechanic were more focused on combat than free exploration and the acquisition of new powers.

As for the topic, while I feel that there is much unused potential in Awakening's universe. I don't think there's a lot to do with it. So a game in a new universe with new characters would be interesting.

I would quite like one in the future of Ylisse. Maybe where the Avatars family (Assuming a female MU didn't marry Chrom) becomes a noble family of Ylisse, with close ties to the royal family. One marriage between these families gives a child in the royal line with both Naga's exalted blood and Grima's fell blood. This character falls for a Manakete, and their child in the second generation (Yes, generations again) gains special powers, being linked to two godlike dragons. This would give the opportunity to clear up the subject of Manaketes somewhat, and would continue the series' popularity. We could also see the legends passed down about some of the characters from awakening, which would be kinda cool.

The only Awakening related sequel I'd be interested in is one where Priam tries to restore the Ragnell.

As far as other sequels, I'd love an FE8 sequel, or perhaps a proper Akaneia/Valencia crossover.

The extra coding would actually be pretty easy. Designing all the supports, on the other hand (let alone writing them all out) would be a nightmare.

But it's very annoying to read Nowi x Gaius when Nowi is already married. Or practically any of Lon'qu's supports when he's married. Same goes for Cordelia (although she actually does get a support change in the Scramble Pack based on her pairing, so she's a different case).

It's not so much hard as it is just annoying. I dont mean to say that programming itself is hard, but mapping out a exact route of whatever conditions unlocks which is more or less irritating as shit, but I could be biased since I myself don't particularly like having to write too many conditions in my own code.

If they have their own GUI-based editor it'd be a lot less irritating, but as I'm not IS and don't know what they use internally.

urgh my internet

Edited by Thor Odinson

Marth's world has actually had six games set in it now (plus one more if you're counting the Broadcast Satellite sidestories, and plus a separate two more if you count to remakes as their own games for as many as nine) since Jugdral is set in the same continuity, but many years in the past.

So that makes a total of eight out of thirteen or nine out of fourteen games in the series focused on Marth's universe and continuity. It's not that all that many people hate Marth himself as much as they hate that his world/continuity gets so much more focus than the others.

Now that that's out of the way, I have to say that I'm much more concerned about the quality of the sequel than I am about the world in which it's set. I'd be cool with either an original world or any preexisting world, so long as they did a good job and told a story that contributed to the overarching story of the world while taking care not to stomp on any previously defined canon. To be honest, I don't know about everyone else, but in the case of the next game being related to Awakening, I'd kinda like to see a midquel between the Archanea-Valentia trilogy and Awakening to perhaps give a little perspective on how and why the world changed the way it did while also giving some much-needed backstory and character depth to Grima.

Edited by Starlight36

Marth's world has actually had six games set in it now (plus one more if you're counting the Broadcast Satellite sidestories, and plus a separate two more if you count to remakes as their own games for as many as nine) since Jugdral is set in the same continuity, but many years in the past.

So that makes a total of eight out of thirteen or nine out of fourteen games in the series focused on Marth's universe and continuity. It's not that all that many people hate Marth himself as much as they hate that his world/continuity gets so much more focus than the others.

Hold on there, son. How are the Jugdral games any more part of "Marth's world" than any other FE game? I mean, they really only have the tangential connection of Naga that links them any more than any other game.