People seems to dislike Avatar...

pianime94

First thing first, I haven't played Awakening and I don't have 3DS, but I saw some posts that people dislike the Avatar, and the waifu war thingy (this might be a delicate topic), is it really that bad?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for one thing... they're already a set character all on their own.

The choices you make don't really make a difference either, except for the last one.

The other reasons are the stupid story moments.

But this is Serenes Forest we're talking about... we have veterans that have loved the series for a long time.

It's "good enough" for most people... and that's the reason Awakening sold so well.

I don't mind the Avatar much, tbh....not the best main character (especially if it was meant to be a self-insert, which its not really) or the best story to be in, but I really don't care either way overall....don't know why some people make a huge deal about them, but then again I'm not one to nitpick about most things. I neither love nor hate them.

Well for one thing... they're already a set character all on their own.

The choices you make don't really make a difference either, except for the last one.

The other reasons are the stupid story moments.

But this is Serenes Forest we're talking about... we have veterans that have loved the series for a long time.

It's "good enough" for most people... and that's the reason Awakening sold so well.

The quotation seems unsettling lol,

for the stupid story moment, I think I didn't encounter any in Blazing Sword yet (around halfway through the game right now), or my memory is just fuzzy, just for the lol maybe?

I don't mind the Avatar much, tbh....not the best main character (especially if it was meant to be a self-insert, which its not really) or the best story to be in, but I really don't care either way overall....don't know why some people make a huge deal about them, but then again I'm not one to nitpick about most things. I neither love nor hate them.

Hm maybe they self inserted the Avatar to make the game feels more expansive, and appeals more audience, just imo.

Robin (the Avatar) as a character is well done for the most part, certainly better than most of the cast in Awakening. But focusing on one character almost all the time and ignoring the rest is a terrible idea, no matter how good the character is.

Robin (the Avatar) as a character is well done for the most part, certainly better than most of the cast in Awakening. But focusing on one character almost all the time and ignoring the rest is a terrible idea, no matter how good the character is.

I rest my case. THAT statement right there said everything I was about to.

It has a plot, but it tried to do too much and devoted too little time to each thing, and it wound up with something that's almost comparable to Sonic '06. Almost.

The main complaints about the Avatar are these:

-Female Avatar has really bad supports with Chrom.

-Avatar is so overpowered that deploying other units is often a liability.

-Avatar's personality is pretty bland. He/she's completely obsessed with tactics and never does anything interesting.

-The game offers you a ton of dialogue choices that look important, but none of them make a difference (except the last one, which only changes the ending and doesn't alter gameplay at all).

-The game begins with Avatar, who is dressed like a member of the Bad Dragon Cult, being discovered by Chrom, who decides to completely trust him even though he's heavily armed.

-There's a scene in a chapter about halfway through the game in which Avatar burns hundreds of thousands of enemy troops alive and wrecks a ton of his ally's stuff, and rather than use the point to illustrate the brutalities of war, the game has everyone laud Avatar as a hero (even though it wasn't even his/her plan).

-There's a scene late in the game in which the Avatar (who is supposed to be a self-insert character) extensively plans (without the game telling you) and pulls off a stunt with a character who shouldn't be there for extremely obvious reasons that completely destroys the bad guy's plans. Immediately afterward, a character who has appeared only once around 10 chapters earlier appears, proclaims himself to be evil, and the Avatar just stands there and watches as he does some bad stuff. The whole shebang is immediately followed by Avatar doing something else off camera, resulting in another Deus ex Machina.

-And the worst one, the ending is a really horrendous example of "the needs of the many vs. The needs of the few". Of course, the game gives you a choice, and of course, it doesn't change anything.

Despite all that it's still a really fun game and you'll be missing out if you stop yourself from getting it. Just take the story with a grain of salt and try to use a variety of units.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

-The game offers you a ton of dialogue choices that look important, but none of them make a difference (except the last one, which only changes the ending and doesn't alter gameplay at all).

This is actually my biggest gripe. Why give me choices if they mean nothing? I skip through the story 99% of the time and it would have been cool if i had to you know, make a choice. See FE9 and FE10 which does this occasionally and it actually matters.

This is actually my biggest gripe. Why give me choices if they mean nothing? I skip through the story 99% of the time and it would have been cool if i had to you know, make a choice. See FE9 and FE10 which does this occasionally and it actually matters.

Remember how Paper Mario TTYD has the final boss ask you to join their side right before the final battle, and if you say yes you get a Game Over? Awakening does that too, but if you agree to join the boss someone appears and talks you out of it, and nothing changes. It's absurd.

I just wish Intelligent System would give you the option to pick a personality, rather than a static forced Avatar with no similarity to the gamer.

To be fair, the difference between Boku, Ore, Watashi, and Atashi had *SLIGHT* personality change in the script.

...and I do mean *SLIGHT*.

Not enough to make a change in dialogue progression.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I just wish Intelligent System would give you the option to pick a personality, rather than a static forced Avatar with no similarity to the gamer.

Well, you can change the voice actor...

Edit: Arr, a ninja.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Remember how Paper Mario TTYD has the final boss ask you to join their side right before the final battle, and if you say yes you get a Game Over? Awakening does that too, but if you agree to join the boss someone appears and talks you out of it, and nothing changes. It's absurd.

They should've had that idea here [and Paper Mario is IntSys too.].

Sacrifice Emmeryn: Yes. Chrom discharges you. Game Over.

Accept Lucina's Judgment [unaffliated so she doesn't stop herself]: Yes. She hits you for 99 damage. Game Over.

Submit to Grima: Yes. Game Over.

Sacrifice Emmeryn: Yes. Chrom discharges you. Game Over.

Excuse me, but I happen to pick "sacrifice Emmeryn". If Chrom has the gall to tell Aversa that "the life of one means nothing when compared to the lives of millions", but can't sacrifice the avatar or his exalted sister, he has no business telling anything to Aversa.

Right.

Sacrifice Emm? Yes or No?

Pick Yes. You get some gr9 Chrom/Avatar anger tension and drama bombs. Lissa supports from that point forward will be full of tears.

Accept Lucina's Judgement: Yes or No?

Pick Yes. Lucina deals a blow that nearly kills Avatar but someone (Chrom) shows up just before death throes. Avatar is out of commission for the next chapter. (Forced to go to next chapter.) Comes back the chapter after that.

Accept Grima: Yes or No?

Pick Yes. GAME OVER.

What if instead of Game Over, it would automatically return you back to the very BEGINNING of the game, saved and all. I think there would be a multitude of angry players xD

We need more developers trolling the players for making stupid decisions, or just trolling in general.

It has a plot, but it tried to do too much and devoted too little time to each thing, and it wound up with something that's almost comparable to Sonic '06. Almost.

The main complaints about the Avatar are these:

-Female Avatar has really bad supports with Chrom.

-Avatar is so overpowered that deploying other units is often a liability.

-Avatar's personality is pretty bland. He/she's completely obsessed with tactics and never does anything interesting.

-The game begins with Avatar, who is dressed like a member of the Bad Dragon Cult, being discovered by Chrom, who decides to completely trust him even though he's heavily armed.

-There's a scene in a chapter about halfway through the game in which Avatar burns hundreds of thousands of enemy troops alive and wrecks a ton of his ally's stuff, and rather than use the point to illustrate the brutalities of war, the game has everyone laud Avatar as a hero (even though it wasn't even his/her plan).

-There's a scene late in the game in which the Avatar (who is supposed to be a self-insert character) extensively plans (without the game telling you) and pulls off a stunt with a character who shouldn't be there for extremely obvious reasons that completely destroys the bad guy's plans. Immediately afterward, a character who has appeared only once around 10 chapters earlier appears, proclaims himself to be evil, and the Avatar just stands there and watches as he does some bad stuff. The whole shebang is immediately followed by Avatar doing something else off camera, resulting in another Deus ex Machina.

-And the worst one, the ending is a really horrendous example of "the needs of the many vs. The needs of the few". Of course, the game gives you a choice, and of course, it doesn't change anything.

Despite all that it's still a really fun game and you'll be missing out if you stop yourself from getting it. Just take the story with a grain of salt and try to use a variety of units.

Hmm I'm planning to buy 3DS and this game this year (hopefully I can), just enjoy what the game has to offer I suppose

Definitely sounds very absurd 0_0, I think this is the first time I actually heard of such mundane choice in a game

Oy folks, remember that TC doesn't have the game yet and while the plot isn't very worthy, it's still good to be mindful of Spoilers.

Accept Lucina's Judgement: Yes or No?

Pick Yes. Lucina deals a blow that nearly kills Avatar but someone (Chrom) shows up just before death throes. Avatar is out of commission for the next chapter. (Forced to go to next chapter.) Comes back the chapter after that.

I haven't played TTYD in a few years, but wasn't there a poisoned cake in Cht.3 that did the same thing?

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Definitely sounds very absurd 0_0, I think this is the first time I actually heard of such mundane choice in a game

Paper Mario TTYD did that several times-- and you could get a few pointless game overs off it.

Poisoned Cake, Cursed Book, final boss... all offered quick game overs.

Another game [also Nintendo] that had a hilarious choice Game Over was "Custom Robo" for the Gamecube. There's a point where you'd be asked to go fight to save the world, and you can say "No." Well, if you do, you'd get asked again, and again... and so forth, with your teammates getting more and more desperate, until finally, you get a "Are you sure?"-- if you say "No" at that point, you watch your teammates leave without you. Then you're informed that they didn't ever come back, then the final boss showed up and killed everyone, and then you're told by one of your teammates that you should've went [and that he died]... and are kicked out to title screen. [Reloading will put you right back at that choice]