This or the DS version?

pianime94

I have the remakes in my DS, though some says it's crap, so I actually hesitated playing it..

Shadow Dragon is a good game in its own right. The majority of its hate comes from how it compares to the rest of the series. Shadow Dragon was the first FE I ever played, and I loved every bit of it

Figure out whether or not you like the DS series by giving it a try. It took a bit for me to warm up to it, but once I figured out just how versatile it was, it became one of my favorites!

FE1 and FE3 had some pretty wonky mechanics, IIRC.

I play a lot of old games and played FE1 and 3 first, which is probably why I prefer them over the DS version. If you don't play many old games or have played lots of newer Fire Emblems before this one, you'll probably find them tedious and not worth the effort.

Play a few chapters with a translation patch of either one and you'll quickly get a feel of how they play. If your first impressions are really bad, then just go straight to the DS version.

I can go on and on about how much I love Shadow Dragon and how, despite what seems like a lacklustre plot and flat characters, it's still got one of the best plot and cast in the series. All you have to do is to not expect everything about a character's backstory or the ongoings of the plot to be spelled out for you but instead have to infer things from whatever is not said as well as a healthy imagination. It's not perfect though. Despite what I said above, some characters will still lack any sort of characterization and the plot really is pretty simple. However, the localizations goes a long way in making asimple VERY enjoyable.

Gameplay wise, it's pretty great with a lot of interesting maps and some fun classes (Freelancer and Ballisticians). A lot of mechanics you'd expect to see are missing, especially if you've become used to FE13 but the core elements are still there. Rescue is the one notable missing feature. Support conversations don't exist but passive support bonuses do although you'll need a guide or trial aand error to even notice them. Growth rates are lower so if you're used to FE13, you'll be in for a rude surprise when characters regurlarly get only 1 stat level ups.

Graphics are a mixed bag. Although I think the maps and map spirites are beautiful, I can't say the same for battle models. Compared to the GBA era, they're pretty dull. Still, the maps themselves look beautiful in my opinion. The music is also amazing.

So yeah, Shadow Dragon is definitely the most underrated FE game but you should definitely play it.

And that still ended up being much longer than I wanted it to.

Hmm I think I'll give the remakes a try ::D:, I played the first 2 chapter of Shadow Dragon already, though the battle animation is pretty meh, compared to Blazing Sword's, but I can manage somehow, thank you all for the suggestion and info~

Shadow Dragon is a good game in its own right. The majority of its hate comes from how it compares to the rest of the series. Shadow Dragon was the first FE I ever played, and I loved every bit of it

Yeah, I still like Shadow Dragon a lot. It's a fun game and does an excellent job with Marth's character.