If you had the chance, how would you handle remaking a FE game?

Fargo294

FE2- Make it not a pain.

FE6/7- inheritance, and an overhaul of some portions of 6 to fit in with the events of 7. I don't care much for Lyn, but her fate would be somewhat addressed. Buff Wolt and Dorothy a bit, nerf Shin and Sue. Buff Sophia and Wendy, making them semi-worth it (fixing Wendy's WTH defense especially). Roy's promotion is changed to 16(x) and his promoted caps in Spd and Skl raised a bit while his Def and Res caps are lowered to compensate. Roy/Cath and maybe Roy/Clarine would be added. Guinevere would be playable, supports and all. More paired endings for non-Roy characters. Valkyries would have swords to explain how the heck Cecilia thought Roy to use one. In FE7, the Sol Katti would have less ridiculous weight, if I don't remove weight altogether. Lyn's Str would be similarly buffed while she takes a hit to Def and Res. Nils would get supports, most likely with Hector, Nino (bias here), and maybe Lyn. Eliwood and Rebecca would have supports too. Hit rates and lock pick uses would return to the way they were in FE6. FE7!Marcus would act more like his FE6 self from a gameplay POV. The tactician will be removed from the story altogether because there is literally no real role (s)he plays after Lyn's story.

FE8- Seth would be nerfed to proper Jagen levels. Eirika would get more Str at the cost of Def and Res. Ephraim would be nerfed but also given Swords so it actually makes sense that he taught Eirika swordplay, though he will most likely stick with lances. Enemies would be a challenge.

FE9- Titania would be nerfed in the same way as Seth and FE7!Marcus. Ike would have his growths decreased a little to make him less OP. Mist would have a bit more Str or tome access. Mounted units would be nerfed, but Rolf and Astrid both with a starting level buff with accordingly raised stats. Untransformed birds would receive effect damage from bows/wind spells. Speaking of effect damage, it would return to 3. S rank weapons would be available for all weapon types and be able to harm Ashnard (It gets kinda ridiculous with the bows). Luck growths would be buffed to make the cap, ya know, make sense.

FE10- Sothe could use an earlier promotion and the removal of forced deployment of him would be nice. Supports would be restored to either GBA format or FE9 format, with full conversations. More paired endings (Mist/Rolf, Ike/Elincia, Micaiah/Edward or Leonardo(I'm being biased), Ranulf/Lethe, Ike/Lethe, Laura/Aran, and others I probably am not thinking of). We would get an explanation on how Blood Pacts work. Tormod and co. Would have an availability buff, and Ilyana would no longer be the most widely available character in the game. More Dawn Brigade chapters would be nice.

FE11- No more reclassing, because it's next to useless here and stupidly broken in FE13. Marth would get a buff (cough it's called promoting cough). Caeda and Lena would be turned down, through the lowering of WS's Mgt and saving giving you your your first Warp for later and changing the range to Mgc/2. People who don't use Tomes/Staves would have something resembling a Res growth. Pegasi are really guilty in this regard. Elysian Whips would be available without Wifi or Dracoknights would be the own class. And, you know, Support comversations

FE13- Reclassing would be removed, and skills would revert to the way things were in FE10. DLC/Spotpass characters who are based on lords (not so much the others, since that would be a lot to write. And nope, Wolt doesn't get special treatment just because I'm a fangirl) would support. Armsthrift would be more widely available. Galeforce and Pegasi would be nerfed since reclassing is gone and it would be Pegasi only as a result. The dark mages wouldn't look... Like... That... They would look like their GBA counterpart class. And Virion would have green hair. Either that or Stahl would be an Archer and he would be the green knight.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give Virion an actual role in Awakening's story. You know so the whole Valm section has some substance. Have Lucina and Tiki do some interacting too in a way that makes it relate more to the end game. Awakening is a damn addictive game. They easily could have had five more chapters of the main story to flesh things out.

FE2:

FE6: Mhmm, non-suck archers are always a good thing. I thought of having Wolt's base Str be high enough to not register to the enemy as chip damage and more skill so that he'll hit too. Wendy, Sophia and the thieves should get on that train too. I only say this because Chad maxed out his strength on my first run of the game and the fact that he can't promote frustrated me to no end. Inheritance is always fun.

FE7: What's wrong with a little game-wrecking with Marcus? Never hurt anyone aside from the morphs. They don't have feelings anyway. I don't think I had a problem with Lyn's strength, though do know ANOTHER CERTAIN MYRMIDON LORD who didn't get any strength for 7 levels and showed up in a later chapter with a whole +2 strength.

FE8: Starting to think you've got something against the Oifey archetype... Eirika adapted her fighting style from her brother, thus her fencing sprites. And I like OP Ephraim! *crosses arms and puffs out cheeks*

FE9: It's been so long since I've played FE9 that I can't even argue with you if he is OP or not.

FE10: Hmm, other ones, can't think of a-ZIHARK/ILLYANA I'd be okay with maybe cutting a FEW supports out, but I bet if IS hired the forums to take charge of it we'd either get it done in no time or fight about it for years.

FE11: I think Marth does fine on his own, he did marginally well on my first run with him. I agree with everything else.

FE13: I think the reclassing is a nice idea and it could be kept, just nerfed. Like not being able to class down after reaching 20/1 or only being able to change classes once. I also think that removing class changing would take away what makes the game unique aside from waifupocalypse. I never understood the Galeforce hype. I mean I can see why it's useful, but not "ERMAGERRD" worthy. I thought that supports for Spotpass/DLC would be fun in its own way. Now that I think about it, Sumia, the main love interest, got really shafted for supports while all the other 1st gen chars all get to support with each other. Make supporting more than 9~ people for her possible.

Give Virion an actual role in Awakening's story. You know so the whole Valm section has some substance. Have Lucina and Tiki do some interacting too in a way that makes it relate more to the end game. Awakening is a damn addictive game. They easily could have had five more chapters of the main story to flesh things out.

I felt Awakening was a little short, too. Even with the free challenge maps, the game would have benefited from a few more chapters. Virion really never impressed me, as a character or otherwise.

---

Personal thought: Give Leif an actual promotion. i.e. not 6 chapters away from endgame and not just the exact same sprite. I mean, c'mon, at least give him a mount like in FE4.

Edited by Fargo294

FE6: Remove Warp because after Niime joined the game become less "play the game" and more "You have an Army but I have Niime, so I win". Also better accuracy and base stats fix

FE11: same as FE6, but instead of Niime, its Lena. Also remove sidequest death. Also add Mixed Reclassing. Horace can actually become a Dracoknight now. Maybe add some cwrp fix, such as C Lance Dracoknight, but that would make Wendell

Suck it Warp fans

I felt Awakening was a little short, too. Even with the free challenge maps, the game would have benefited from a few more chapters. Virion really never impressed me, as a character or otherwise.

Oh I don't find Virion particularly interesting either. It's just that right before the Valm arc he shows up and says he's an exiled prince from that continent and warns you of Walhart's ambitions. With that being done I thought he'd play some kind of role in that part of the adventure, you know maybe we could actually visit and liberate his little country that's so minor I can't remember its name. The Valm arc was all about uniting the many to take down on seemingly insurmountable force yet all we do is just dance around a volcano a little bit and look at a pretty tree.

Edited by Jotari

FE2:

FE6: Mhmm, non-suck archers are always a good thing. I thought of having Wolt's base Str be high enough to not register to the enemy as chip damage and more skill so that he'll hit too. Wendy, Sophia and the thieves should get on that train too. I only say this because Chad maxed out his strength on my first run of the game and the fact that he can't promote frustrated me to no end. Inheritance is always fun.

FE7: What's wrong with a little game-wrecking with Marcus? Never hurt anyone aside from the morphs. They don't have feelings anyway. I don't think I had a problem with Lyn's strength, though do know ANOTHER CERTAIN MYRMIDON LORD who didn't get any strength for 7 levels and showed up in a later chapter with a whole +2 strength.

FE8: Starting to think you've got something against the Oifey archetype... Eirika adapted her fighting style from her brother, thus her fencing sprites. And I like OP Ephraim! *crosses arms and puffs out cheeks*

FE9: It's been so long since I've played FE9 that I can't even argue with you if he is OP or not.

FE10: Hmm, other ones, can't think of a-ZIHARK/ILLYANA I'd be okay with maybe cutting a FEW supports out, but I bet if IS hired the forums to take charge of it we'd either get it done in no time or fight about it for years.

FE11: I think Marth does fine on his own, he did marginally well on my first run with him. I agree with everything else.

FE13: I think the reclassing is a nice idea and it could be kept, just nerfed. Like not being able to class down after reaching 20/1 or only being able to change classes once. I also think that removing class changing would take away what makes the game unique aside from waifupocalypse. I never understood the Galeforce hype. I mean I can see why it's useful, but not "ERMAGERRD" worthy. I thought that supports for Spotpass/DLC would be fun in its own way. Now that I think about it, Sumia, the main love interest, got really shafted for supports while all the other 1st gen chars all get to support with each other. Make supporting more than 9~ people for her possible.

Wolt would probably become much better thanks to the high growth he'd get from inheritance. So, that means Dorothy would get left in the dust in comparison. But yeah, Archers not sucking is great, even if my Wolts tend toward being actually pretty good. Better than my Sues, anyway. I've never really used Shin, since I had a Lv 20 Wolt and Sue at my disposal, but based on his averages, he needs a nerf.

Yes, I have a thing against Oifeys. The idea is actually kind of silly. Why use everyone else when you have an OP juggernaut and a healer to solo the game? It totally removes the point of Jagens, giving you a slight crutch to make earlier chapters easier.

How can Eirika adapt a fencing style from a Lance-fighter? If anything, if Ephraim was her teacher, shouldn't she use Lances too? That always struck me as odd. And the only reason for fixing Ephraim is to make him less of an obvious choice over Eirika.

Eh, I'd probably be lazy, but incessant PM'ing would probably get me to write the darn support. Maybe.

Marth was awful in FE11. Luck and Speed were the only stats of his I found acceptable. Adding a promotion, perhaps when he reclaims Altea, would be fantastic. He's good enough elsewhere, though.

FE13 was... A bit too unbalanced. And you brought up something else, I would like the Avatar system removed. The character can stick around, just as a set in stone character with set in stone looks and stats. This is mostly because of bad fanfics, but I really think that avatars don't work in FE.

Galeforce is that OP. Same for Armsthrift. You go Seliph.

One of my favorite things about Awakening was the legacy stuff, and I thought it would be a nice opportunity to make up for FE10 and FE11 as far as supports go. I still want to see Roy talk to young!Eliwood, darn it!

Armthrift is not OP at all.

For like 40% of the game, Armthrift is basically a no skill.

By the time Armthrift actually make a difference(end of part 1 with Merc MU, near end of Part 2 with no MU involved), the game is already broken in tiny little bits anyway. At that point Armthrift is basically those "HOLY SHIT I CAN USE LEGEND WEAPON EVERYTIME, ITS BROKEN DESPITE THE FACT THAT USING JAVELIN WOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL"

Honestly the most broken thing in Awakening is something that many would not realize it is really broken, namely Veteran(remove this and MU would be MUCH less overpowered), Spotpass(I don't think I can explain everything that make it broken in one go lol), game design(pretty much unfixable), and Rescue Staff being being buyable

Edited by JSND

Armthrift is not OP at all.

For like 40% of the game, Armthrift is basically a no skill.

By the time Armthrift actually make a difference(end of part 1), the game is already broken anyway

Armsthrift is kind of divisive, some people like it, others don't.

It exists for the convenience of saving money on expensive forges, like the Aversa's Night Forge I use, and saving time grinding for Regalia.

For those reasons I like it. And while OP might have been a bit of an overstatement, it is certainly useful.

You guys have a lot of really cool ideas

Personally, I would add characters and chapters to Fe8, and I would make it so you had to play through both Eirika and Ephraim's story at the same time. You would split the recruited characters in the beginning into two armies

Aside from that, I'd probably just add second seals and branching promotion paths to any game that doesn't have it

For fe9 I would add some of the Radiant dawn exclusive beorcs and make the skill system more like radiant dawn (shove and occult skills would be free though!) and the laguz eoukd likely use beast/bird/dragonstones

What do you guys think?

Um, hello? Aversa's Night is slightly more than twice as strong as Nosferatu and is more accurate.

The only thing holding it back is durability, availability and expensive forging cost.

Armsthrift removes all of these flaws. Making Nosferatu obsolete.

Yes, it's a convenience skill. OP was an overstatement, but I wouldn't call it underpowered.

Less time grinding Golden Gaffe and IR is a good thing. I'm not saying you have to use it, I'm just calling it useful.

Also, Valflame has more Attack than any other tome (even forges) due to it's inherent Mgc boost, which has the nice Bonus of added healing if you are a Sage or Valkyrie.

Braves also deplete at a slower pace.

For Shadow Dragon:

Marth really doesn't need a promotion. He needs better base stats.

Hardin either be a second lord or plot important character who doesn't die if defeated in battle but continues to play a role in the story.

More enemy variety. Throw in Swordmasters, Bersekers, Warriors, Sorcerers, etc.

Dark Magic would be a separate weapon type or something only Dark Mages/Sorcerers can use.

Um, hello? Aversa's Night is slightly more than twice as strong as Nosferatu and is more accurate.

Accuracy did not matter in a game with underpowered enemies and 15% innate increase in attack accuracy

Slightly more than Twice as strong as Nosferatu did not matter when a properly used Nosferatu is a 2 Hit KO against 99% of the game, with the remaining 1% being Grima anyway.

Seconding Hardin being a Lord because he's supposed to be really important in some way.

Edited by JSND

FE6- Wendy, Sophia, Archers no longer suck. Generals have access to all physical weapons. Percival nerfed, Cecilia buffed. Like why does a etruian general like Cecilila have crappy stats and Percival gets to be godlike. Roy promotion is earlier. Hit rates are Fe7 values. Dragonstones would be found in shops.

Fe11- Marth promotion, universal reclassing, Hello axefighter Sheeda. More enemy variety. Minerva gets to be good as Sedgar/Wolf, with that you get a competant natural female axe user in Minerva.

Fe6-fe8 would feature master seals instead of the stupid seperate promotion items. Weapon weight would be reduced by 2 all across the board.

Avoid for mounted units would be ASx1+luck while avoid for foot units would be ASx2+luck. Casual mode would be added pre FE12 along with the Ironman mode.

Edited by thetiger39

Give a bit more in depth character dev to the judgral games

With good writing

That I can't provide because I suck at writing

yes

Like a Fire Emblem 4 with more chapters and smaller maps, with support conversations, a Support System like the one in FE9-10 with a special S Support for lovers, tradeable items, difficulty settings like FE11/12, possibly a local map (meaning that someone in Verdane/Agustria/Silesia can't go back to Grandbell) with cities that allow shopping and learning more info about the setting and base events similar to the FE9-10 ones.

I'd also love a route split after the time skip, one with Leif and another with Seliph. The player would choose who to start with and proggress until a certain point in the game; then, the game would force the player to go through the other character's route until the chapter where they meet. After that, the game would continue normally (with both Leif and Seliph as the main lords).

Indeed, the pronunciation is similar, though I don't really see why so many people get confused about it. It's very similar to Caesar, a name that I would certainly hope most people can pronounce. I feel it fits much better, especially since Archanea is probably the most Greco-Roman of all the FE continents.

... Though, Archanea is also shaped very vaguely similarly to Eurasia, with Caeda's homeland being roughly where Japan would be, so a more Japanese looking name than anyone else in the game could maybe be argued.

To be fair, Caesar was originally pronounced as Kaiser. The spelling just stayed even though the pronunciation changed.

There is no way that Caeda is meant to sound like Shiida. It doesn't make phonetic sense whatever way you put it.

To be fair, Caesar was originally pronounced as Kaiser. The spelling just stayed even though the pronunciation changed.

There is no way that Caeda is meant to sound like Shiida. It doesn't make phonetic sense whatever way you put it.

IIRC, it's more accurately See-da, which is why translation software renders her name as "Cedar" half the time. And with the way "Caesar" is incorrectly pronounced by most English speakers, that makes "Caeda" a less WTF localization of her name.

Edited by Cymbalina's Revenge

FE13 changes coming up, and a whole lot of them. In a nutshell, this is FE x Paper Mario x Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Maps need to be Genealogy sized or bigger.

Add dozens of semi-generic units who aren't infinite and have unique names and portraits (no plot armor) while extending Casual-type plot armor and main-character level development/plot roles to 10-15 characters (so basically a really lot of lords).

Add a feature so that "disposable" units must be assigned to a particular Lord to be deployed, with each Lord having their own deployment cap designated by Leadership Stars.

Should a Lord fall, or get too far away from any of their troops, those troops will "panic" and become controlled by the AI until another Lord approaches and reassigns them. Their AI reactions would vary by IQ (a new stat) between suicidal charges, standing around doing nothing, fleeing, and protecting their fallen commander.

Rebalance the exp scaling so that 8-10 is a lot from a non-boss enemy, 3-5 is typical, and 1 is minimum. If possible, have the troops funnel exp back to their Lord, and have them gain substantial stat boosts based on their Lord's. They can still get Wexp and increase their stats through other methods similar to EVs in Pokemon.

Replace random growths with a perks system and perk multipliers. Ex: a unit who would formerly have an 80% HP growth would get +8HP if given +10 worth of HP perks, and a unit with 40% HP would get +4.

Separate weapon durability into two stats, one for remaining uses and one for rate of usage (so a weapon with 60 uses and a use rate of 3 would take 20 uses to break). AT reduces the use rate by 1, regardless of Lck.

Hit rates are replaced with TTYD style Action Commands, with the frame window for proper execution determined by a unit's listed hit. 0% would always fail and 100% would always succeed.

Dual Guards are removed, pairing up gives no stat boosts (except +Mov for mounted units), enemies fight in groups of 1-4, enemies can attack either of your characters depending on attack range (same for your characters).

Rescue and Pairup are combined. If a unit tries to pair up, they will move into the back and the pairup will become immediately active. If a unit tries to Rescue, the target moves to their square, into the back, and the rescuer is afflicted with a "rescue" status for 1 turn that halves Spd. After that turn, the units are paired up normally.

Galeforce now activates if you attacked and failed to KO an enemy, not if you killed them.

Add F-rank weapons similar to the Glass weapons: single-use weapons with varying power levels and cost that can be used by any unit, but don't bestow Wexp. Everyone would have at least an F-rank in all weapon types (though most of these ranks can never be raised).

No reclassing outside of plot events.

Manaketes can fight effectively untransformed, and for the most part are as good as normal units but with a Dragon weakness. There are a lot more of them, and Dragonstones function as rare plot items available only toward the end of the game that function similarly to Laguzstones.

Skills with proc rates are now command based and drain energy from a pool that refills at a steady rate and increases via plot events (most likely collecting the Gemstones for the Fire Emblem), similar to Star Power. The amount of Skill drained is dependent on the unit's Skl stat and the move's cost.

Only the Lords have Skill pools, and all troops assigned to them can use their Skill pool if they have the weapons/skills to take advantage of it.

Skills such as Galeforce and Armsthrift would be back to the skill weight system from Tellius, but a unit's skill capacity could be increased (slowly) through the perks system. Skills could only be equippable by Lords, though there would be a good deal of them that modify the stats and abilities of the troops.

Skills and such are found primarily in Chests, which are much commoner than in Awakening.

Chests can also be rescued and carried, leading to interesting possibilities regarding efficiency (bringing all the chests to the thief to cutt down on turn counts), as well as being useable as barricades (they can't be passed through).

The World Map is gone, replaced with interconnected maps (again, Genealogy style). During most parts of the plot, the player would be allowed to roam freely in the overworld (encounters with wandering enemies would start Fe8/13 style skirmishes, not single battles). In the overworld in this mode, movement would not be turn based drag and drop, your unit(s) would be controlled with the D-pad and move one square at a time.

Similar free motion applies in towns/your camp, which would contain all of the normal menu functions, albeit spread out. So there would be shops for buying/selling/forging, a save point, your units (talking to them replaces the Barracks), etc.

Taking advantage of the many Lords mechanic, there would frequently be (smaller) chapters in which the generic troops are barred and only a specific handful of heroes could be deployed- this would help with the individual character development as well as wreck solo attempts and encourage leveling all the Lords. These chapters might use different movement mechanics because you'd have fewer units to control.

Many indoor maps (specifically ones for these types of chapters) would also be split into many rooms, allowing greater opportunities to hide chests and more complex area design with more opportunities to fence off/open up areas for future visits.

OK... That was longer than I was expecting it to be. Oops.

You know what, I'd like to see naval combat.

Like there's an overworld where you control one ship. The enemy has several ships. This part plays just like an ordinary chapter with you moving your ship to attack enemy ships on your turn, then the enemy taking their turn. Your ship has its own stats that are determined by some formula that involves the stats of your units.

But whe you choose to attack a ship, it switches to what looks like a typical ship chapter in regular FE games. Either you can simply destroy the enemy ship or you can 'seize' it. Ifyou do so, then you gain control of the enemy ship but you have to assign crew to that ship too. This would mean weaking your main ship in offensive and defensive capabilitis but the trade off is that when you return to the overworld map, you now control that ship too. Using too ships to flank an enemy ship makes seizing or destroying that ship easier but your ships are also more fragile.

I don't know what FE game that something like this would fit in with best so I'm just putting this idea out there.

You know what, I'd like to see naval combat.

Like there's an overworld where you control one ship. The enemy has several ships. This part plays just like an ordinary chapter with you moving your ship to attack enemy ships on your turn, then the enemy taking their turn. Your ship has its own stats that are determined by some formula that involves the stats of your units.

But whe you choose to attack a ship, it switches to what looks like a typical ship chapter in regular FE games. Either you can simply destroy the enemy ship or you can 'seize' it. Ifyou do so, then you gain control of the enemy ship but you have to assign crew to that ship too. This would mean weaking your main ship in offensive and defensive capabilitis but the trade off is that when you return to the overworld map, you now control that ship too. Using too ships to flank an enemy ship makes seizing or destroying that ship easier but your ships are also more fragile.

I don't know what FE game that something like this would fit in with best so I'm just putting this idea out there.

Fire Emblem of the Ancients All Stars

Gotta pick that Nature Sorcerer so that I can split seize that ship using my Re-Warp Staff. They won't see my Force of Soliders and my NosferaThree coming

.....You know what, that actually sounds kinda cool

Jokes aside FE7 is a nice fit, having 2 story portion that can involve naval combat in some ways, but a "Suikoden like" FE would work best.

Because lets be honest, in FE7 case, having a thief guild deploying ships would make no sense

Edited by JSND