Any good Metroidvania games?

Blue Druid

La-Mulana is Metroidvania-ish, I guess. It's really complicated and unforgiving though, so that could potentially be turn-off to some people. Those who can get past that aspect, however, generally think it's an amazing game.

Ys is very Metroid-vania like. They're not taking place in one castle (unless you're playing Ys: Origins) but they do take place over a small region.

Edited by Lord Raven

Besides Castlevania and Metroid? Well, you could always try the following:

Cave Story

Knytt Underground

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Terraria

Fez

Shadow Complex

Megaman ZX / Advent

If those don't do it for you, then I dunno.

La-Mulana is Metroidvania-ish, I guess. It's really complicated and unforgiving though, so that could potentially be turn-off to some people. Those who can get past that aspect, however, generally think it's an amazing game.

La Mulana seems awesome!

Besides Castlevania and Metroid? Well, you could always try the following:

Cave Story

Knytt Underground

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Terraria

Fez

Shadow Complex

Megaman ZX / Advent

If those don't do it for you, then I dunno.

I know about Shadow Complex, and I definitely want to play it, but I don't have an xbox =/

http://www.metroidvania.com/

You're welcome.

EDIT Also Touhouvania doesn't look anything like a Metroidvania...Pretty nice graphics for the main character though, although the level design looks pretty lame, 'specially for a tradition Castlevania styled game.

Edited by Refa

EDIT Also Touhouvania doesn't look anything like a Metroidvania...Pretty nice graphics for the main character though, although the level design looks pretty lame, 'specially for a tradition Castlevania styled game.

Really? Shit, I just knew that BrainScratchComms did a commentary of it, I didn't know it wasn't a Metroidvania. Sorry.

mandatory:

guacamelee! gold edition

lyle in cube sector if you like super mario bros. 2 and quirky atmosphere

an untitled story if you like birds, platforming challenges and the MSPaint Aesthetic

the latter two are freeware; the former was on sale on steam a couple weeks ago but you MISSED IT. no but really i just beat guacamelee today and it is very well-designed and challenging without ever being too frustrating

mandatory:

guacamelee! gold edition

lyle in cube sector if you like super mario bros. 2 and quirky atmosphere

an untitled story if you like birds, platforming challenges and the MSPaint Aesthetic

the latter two are freeware; the former was on sale on steam a couple weeks ago but you MISSED IT. no but really i just beat guacamelee today and it is very well-designed and challenging without ever being too frustrating

I guess I'll try guacamelee, thanks! And I don't have a steam account anyway. :XD:

Edited by Blue Druid

Oh trust me, it's great game, even if some things are IMO too hidden.

you couldn't be further from the truth without straight up lying

Okay then I'll give it a try.

Also I found this awesome game named Ghost song that has a huge influence from metroid and has recently reached its funding goal at kickstarter, and is still in development I think. But it looks really awesome!

If we're giving suggestions of games still in development, then Chasm might tickle your fancy.

EDIT: Kinda surprised that this hasn't been brought up yet, but Project AM2R might be worth checking out too. It might be in development limbo, but it's literally Another Metroid 2 Remake (AM2R). It looks extremely promising in rebuilding the world as well as adding onto it.

Edited by DualSilverGunner

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...