Is it worth using 2nd gen characters?

Marc71

Maybe its about gameplay choice...

The problem is that you do not need them to beat the final chapter...especially when its Normal/Hard...

It doesnt help that they start out with stats based on how strong their parents are ATM. It could range from good to bad...Usually they are average at best for me, for some reason...

They also start to appear when promoted enemies appear...

The only part where I could see their usefulness are superior caps...think about a minor form of Ests...kinda useless in the beginning but 2nd gen chars will be better than the 1st gen..eventually. It helps that they have a greater skill pool...plus having 1 possible skill that are otherwise genderlocked.

This could be useful in some DLCs and in the final paralogue.

I have thought of a Hard/Classic run where I will replace all 1st gen chars with 2nd gen chars from C13 on (read: when Lucina is available) after playing all paralogues.....the main trouble I have is to find proper pairings, it does not help that some of their starting classes are mismatched (Owain, a myrmidon whose mother was a cleric...). Second seals arent sold regularily until completing C16...

some, like inigo aren't worth using without grind because their paralogues are too hard to complete at a reasonable time. By the time your units are strong enough to tackle Paralogue 6, you probably aren't going to have much use for a level 10 mercenary anyways. Some children with strong parents and a easy paralogue (i.e morgan) can be worth using if you feed them a bit of exp early on.

Edited by shed

If your goal is to beat the goddamn game straight through no grind then no bar Avatar's kid(s) if Veteran is passed down

If you like these characters and want to use them for character value and give no shits about other things then they're worth however much you want to use them

Lucina, Morgan, and Kjelle in that one run I played as male MU and married Sully were the only kids I ever use in combat and not as dual partner support.

some, like inigo aren't worth using without grind because their paralogues are too hard to complete at a reasonable time. By the time your units are strong enough to tackle Paralogue 6, you probably aren't going to have much use for a level 10 mercenary anyways. Some children with strong parents and a easy paralogue (i.e morgan) can be worth using if you feed them a bit of exp early on.

Inigo not worth it? He gets Galeforce,Vantage,Astra,Armsthrift and Sol. Whatchu mean?! t-.-t

Inigo not worth it? He gets Galeforce,Vantage,Astra,Armsthrift and Sol. Whatchu mean?! t-.-t

He means what he said: not worth it without grind. Inigo gets derp bases thanks to Olivia and isn't helpful without a lot of extra exp.

For DLC, children are absolutely worth it thanks to their higher stats and larger skill pools.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

In my first run through the game, I passed on most of the children except Lucina and Morgan. I only completed the paralogues for the other children after I beat the final chapter and started grinding.

He's not getting Galeforce, for one. That requires reclassing Olivia, getting her to a level 15 Dark Flier, which you aren't doing in any kind of reasonable time, not to mention reclassing Olivia to begin with means losing your Dancer. Astra is crap. Vantage is pretty crap except in combos he doesn't get. Armsthrift is mediocre. Sol is average at best.

And this is ignoring the fact that, thanks to a difficult recruitment chapter he's not joining until late and thanks to a Dancer mum, his bases are likely mediocre. Oh, and unless you do reclass Olivia (which means even later joining), one of his inherited skills is LUK+4. And in-game, base stats, base skills and join time are pretty much the most important aspects of the kids. So we have a mediocre late joining Mercenary with one bad inherited skill. Remind me again what makes him not terrible?

Many of the kids are worthwhile for use in-game. A lot of people like to claim they start too weak to be usable, but that's really not true. They inherit over 2/3rds of their parents stats, as well as hopefully two strong skills, and join at a very low level around halfway to 70% of the way through the game, meaning they grow super quickly. That usually means the kids can easily catch up and overtake the parents pretty much as soon as they promote (and since they're gaining like 60+ EXP per kill, that doesn't take long). It does vary by kid though. Morgan with Veteran inheritance and Avatar's likely already awesome stats, will probably be awesome. Lucina joining early and having a unique, infinite use, great sword as well as Dual Strike+ and the okay Aether even if you don't train Chrom, is good. Kjelle and Laurent with an easy joining chapter, are usually very good if you get them. Beyond that, most of the rest are okay - they have slightly harder recruitment chapters or similar, except Owain, who thanks to being a Healer's kid has a number of other problems.

Eaxctly what he said: By the time you can even get Inigo on a no-grind run, especially on any difficulty above normal, I'd find it hard to shoehorn a level 10 unit into the team. Also, Olivia's not getting Galeforce without a lot of grinding, so the point's moot. And this is ignoring the fact that Olivia isn't exactly easy to marry off.

Eaxctly what he said: By the time you can even get Inigo on a no-grind run, especially on any difficulty above normal, I'd find it hard to shoehorn a level 10 unit into the team. Also, Olivia's not getting Galeforce without a lot of grinding, so the point's moot. And this is ignoring the fact that Olivia isn't exactly easy to marry off.

really easy if you do chrom.

really easy if you do chrom.

Which I intentionally left out because of the laundry list of inconveniences that result from that, given we're talking no grind. And the point stands - Inigo would be deadweight in no-grind.

Also, marrying Chrom to Olivia in a no-grind playthrough cripples Lucina's base stats. While I think Inigo is good if you're grinding, the difficulty of his paralogue and his mother being a level 1 dancer when you recruit her really affects his usability.

To add to the voices giving advice: Morgan is pretty much always amazing, Lucina is pretty much always at least usable, and Cynthia - due to a relatively easy paralogue and Sumia's limited husband pool - is usually solid as well, if requiring a little bit of catching up. Most of the rest aren't really worth it for no-grind due to various factors, including somewhat poor bases (Owain, Inigo, Brady usually all fall to this, due to the relative difficulty in levelling up their mothers) and difficult paralogues (Inigo, Nah, Noire, Severa, Gerome fall to this, given how late their mothers are recruited) that set the character behind by the time they're recruited. Kjelle and Laurent aren't quite as reliably good as Cynthia, but are very usable nonetheless.

For DLC and for grind-enabled playthroughs, ignore the entire preceding paragraph and use the children. Grind eliminates the factors that work against the children, making them amazingly strong.

Aside from my first playthrough, well second when I played a female avatar. I don't bother S supporting anyone except Chrom, my runs only have two kids now, which is Lucina and what ever sibling she has.

For me 1st gen is good enough for both post and in game, even beaten that Apotheosis map without second gen. :P

So really! It's up to you! If you want, use them, if you don't, then don't use them!