Smirks' Sprites

Lt.Smirks

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man that reference. That pose is awkward, and makes your battle sprite look awkward, imo :\ Like I could see if you wanted to make him stand on one foot, but the way he's leaning makes it look like he would just fall over. The drawing sort of works because it's more detailed, whereas the sprite is really tiny and that pose doesn't have enough of a silhouette to read properly. It's reading like the lower half of his body is still facing the enemy, which it's not. I really like the other parts of the sprite, just not really into the still standing pose.

[spoiler=excuse this rly dumb ref lmao but]

2946666969_2496c3b589.jpg?v=0

I feel like this has a similar attitude but makes more sense in terms of "standing" and is not standing on one foot/balanced weird.

Oh and um the splice comp entry is way cool! I dig the eyepatch. It's sort of overshaded but it is a super cool idea 8D

Edited by Mewyveon

Yeah but that's the pose Baldo wanted :/ Maybe I'll make a variation with a better standing pose.

After posting, I thought about it a bit and kind of figured that was the case, ahhh ^_^;; Well, if you get a chance, it's a pretty cool looking animation and I think it'd improve it a lot to change that pose. Just my 2 cents~

No, I mean, for each weapon, the critical is him whirling the chain around with the weapon swinging from the end, instead of being boring like the general and just spinning the weapon in a circle before launching it

Edited by Mercenary Lord

The shading on the shield changes in a way that shouldn't be occurred. The light source is from the left, not above. The right foot OPV moves in a funny way (like.. up one pixel and across one pixel?) in the dodging animation whereas I feel it could do with being one smooth movement. IMO the sword could do with a darker outline, too. Otherwise, awesome work. inb4 it turns out that the guy can wield both Tyrfing and Helswath

WRT the swordsman, one thing I think looks funny is the way he sheathes his sword after the attack. The way the sword is moved is almost too smooth. Perhaps it might be worth looking at how Lyn's Lord animation does it? His arms look a little noodley in the standing frame as well (not at all like they're crossed) so it might be worth working on that. I really like the magic sword animation (and main attacking animation, of course), though.

Not bad, but maybe you should change the preparation flail where he push it forward before spinning it around? It's making an illusion that he's attacking at that time rather than after the spin.

I would recommend trying spinning first and he slam it down on enemy to crit?

The animation wants a second spin on that critical attack. Also, I think this is the regular and critical attack in one gif, maybe?

Edit: When he goes to toss the flail in the air, he needs to lower it first to give himself the thrust to toss it up. It looks like a really jerky toss otherwise. Ref the mercenary sword toss.

Edited by Klokinator

It's more that he's the annoying new guy who pm's me and every other person on sf asking them to do requests which vary from kinda-doable to never-in-a-million-years. Whole custom hacked weapon systems, a fully animated sprite sheet, custom fe4 skill system in fe7... etc

Lord of G.K.: Thank you

Fateborn: It's a fake attack. You'll notice a few other characters do it ( I'm thinking Lyn right now). It makes a flash like an actual hit, but doesn't cause any damage.

Y.O.L.O Dewey: Yes kinda... I say it's behind his leg and shield because I didn't want to have to animate it in every single frame. :P

Klok: Yeah I was thinking about adding a second spin, didn't get around to it. No, it's just the critical attack in this GIF. I hadn't actually noticed the issue with the toss, thank you for pointing it out.

You know, now that I look at it a bit more, the animation doesn't seem very fluid. Technically, it's cool (and I'd love to use it once you finish it because damn), but there doesnt seem to be enough motion blur frames. Kind of like the vanilla cavalier or berserker.

OH ALSO remember that in most battles the sprites are actually pretty close together, I feel like that critical hit would overshoot the enemy, maybe shorten the chain?

Edited by Mercenary Lord

It's more that he's the annoying new guy who pm's me and every other person on sf asking them to do requests which vary from kinda-doable to never-in-a-million-years. Whole custom hacked weapon systems, a fully animated sprite sheet, custom fe4 skill system in fe7... etc

Wasn't he the guy who was trying to do exactly what Arch gave up on years ago and flooded the Questions category on FEU with practically the same question over and over again without realizing it?

Love the flailing on the animation, but I think you could have him take at least one step back on the second hit. It looks as if the axe will miss the target quite a bit. I'm not saying you should do it, but you could give it a try and see what you think about it.