Bloodlines (2.4)

ghast

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DomingoUuni is fun to use. Its paralyze tentacle is useful in crowd control especially against those sirens in the chapter it joins. Wonder what story justification will be given to let it tag along with the party and its promotion though, it's interesting! The problem is that sometimes moving it causes the game to have various glitches either graphical (sprites becoming black but it turns normal after battle) or the game freezing. I still can't replicate them since it happens randomly, sorry!

Speaking of promotion, Agalli can only use anima after his promotion into Sage? No staves or light magic?

9 minutes ago, Tempo said:

so i went through the chapter that had J.R. in it and I didn't get to recruit him afterwards. I pretty sure I beat him with Bram too. Did I do something wrong?

When did you beat him? during the chapter or in a gaiden? Pretty sure J.R. has to survive the chapter after talking to Bram to let you recruit him.

Well just because she can't attack doesn't mean she is immune to attacks... So yes rallel has better attack than sadaati atm, since sadaati can't attack, regardless she still has a MUCH better defense than rallel. So yes she can take a ht better. Rallel on the other hand has such a weak defense, he pretty much dies if he is hit by anything except magic. Sadaati does not have this problem. That's a good point on the move too.

So Sadaati can heal, has good defense and movement

Rallel can attack and heal, but has horrible defense and movement.

Seems pretty balanced to me. I'm sure she will get to use tomes later on too. M

On 2/25/2017 at 7:29 PM, Azz said:

Neither is life bro. Also Sadaati has movement over Rallel. And Ghast can also do what he wants, it is his hack.

Also, Ghast great work. I've only started playing but its so fun and I love the story. Also Bram, is uh, not to bad on the eyes if I do say so and whoever made his portrait should be very proud of their work.

It's true that it's his hack but if he wants feedback, I'm giving feedback. I just want his hack to make his hack appeal to as many people as possible, and I'm a person. If I'm the minority so be it, I'm just offering my opinion. I really like this hack and I want it to be amazing. So I'm just a little worried on what it becomes. :/

16 hours ago, urug99 said:

Well just because she can't attack doesn't mean she is immune to attacks... So yes rallel has better attack than sadaati atm, since sadaati can't attack, regardless she still has a MUCH better defense than rallel. So yes she can take a ht better. Rallel on the other hand has such a weak defense, he pretty much dies if he is hit by anything except magic. Sadaati does not have this problem. That's a good point on the move too.

So Sadaati can heal, has good defense and movement

Rallel can attack and heal, but has horrible defense and movement.

Seems pretty balanced to me. I'm sure she will get to use tomes later on too. M

You put a very convincing arguement but my main concern is alienating the old fire emblem players. Most of the new classes have had a similar equivalent in past FE games. Vigilante is basically the main sword using Lord of the game. Puppy is simmilar to the Taugel or other shapeshifting classes that only have one main weapon. The Jester is essentially the Grandmaster of the game, by using a physical and magical attack. Malcom's class is basically a Kinshi Knight without lances. Dispite all this the one class with the biggest change is a pre-existing class, the priest. I'm 99% sure there hasn't been a base class that could heal and attack in the history of fire emblem. The only exeption is Jakob and Felicia (which technecally isn't true since Troubadour promotes to maid/butler and both Jakob and Felicia have low stats for a promote and can go to level 40 instead of 20) . However what sets Rallel apart is that he can do both well. What makes it fair for Felicia and Jakob is their Str/Mag split. Felicia has good Mag making her a good healer but her bad Str makes her a bad dagger user, and Jakob is the opposite. But both Light Magic and Staves are magic based, now THATS unfair. You explained how that's fair for Sadaati, but what about Agali or Nilou? I'm not saying Ghast shouldn't try new things, I actually really like he is. But it shouldn't be in ways that would alienate players or hinder their enjoyment.

I'm 99% sure there hasn't been a base class that could heal and attack in the history of fire emblem. 

Not going back to even the earliest this isn't true. Troubadours in Fire Emblem 4. They had staves and then could attack with swords. 

It's not unfair that he has both light magic and staves that area magic based. Let's take a look at these three characters so we can talk about it: 

Rallel has inferior, magic, defense, luck, hp, and res to a standard Nilou. His attack is always worse than hers, he can't dodge worth anything, his critical evasion is a joke. Rallel can pretty much never tolerate getting into combat with anything but mages, and because he uses light magic, rarely will he ever kill them. Nilou on the other hand, usually has weapon triangle advantage, and can actually sometimes dodge them, and if that weren't enough, she can laugh at their astounding "no damage" from them. She's essentially the Narbid of mages, except unlike Narbid, she isn't nearly as slow, and actually has something resembling defense. AND she can attack from 1-2 range on her weapons. She even has nice things like Leech to help with her durability.  A stray javelin can kill Rallel when you first get him. This pretty much never happens for... No one. Not even squishy units like Dewey. Staves are the only thing that actually make Rallel keep up with Nilou to be honest. 

Rallel has inferior speed, defense, hp, luck, and res (yes, level per level and bases with growths, Rallel's is worse). Once again, his attack is worse because Agalli has anima which offers far more variety than light tomes and generally anima tomes have more might anyways. Lower speed means that Agalli can dodge more often, couple that with luck, and Agali is the better mage, and once again, Agalli doesn't die from a stiff breeze and can actually fight mages better than Rallel can. I know people like to say "healers shouldn't get hit blah, blah, blah..." But the fact of the matter is that it's always nice to be able to allow a healer to be placed in danger if something goes wrong or you just see that you can make faster moves by allowing it. 

It's not alienating people by characters being better or worse. I can understand units being underpowered can be annoying, but the only person that really comes across as underpowered at the moment would be Tyren and perhaps Dewey, and Tyren can be fixed by having more items to steal. Dewey gets free weapons, so that's always nice, and if the trend continues could make him a worthy unit. 

56 minutes ago, Augestein said:

Not going back to even the earliest this isn't true. Troubadours in Fire Emblem 4. They had staves and then could attack with swords. 

It's not unfair that he has both light magic and staves that area magic based. Let's take a look at these three characters so we can talk about it: 

Rallel has inferior, magic, defense, luck, hp, and res to a standard Nilou. His attack is always worse than hers, he can't dodge worth anything, his critical evasion is a joke. Rallel can pretty much never tolerate getting into combat with anything but mages, and because he uses light magic, rarely will he ever kill them. Nilou on the other hand, usually has weapon triangle advantage, and can actually sometimes dodge them, and if that weren't enough, she can laugh at their astounding "no damage" from them. She's essentially the Narbid of mages, except unlike Narbid, she isn't nearly as slow, and actually has something resembling defense. AND she can attack from 1-2 range on her weapons. She even has nice things like Leech to help with her durability.  A stray javelin can kill Rallel when you first get him. This pretty much never happens for... No one. Not even squishy units like Dewey. Staves are the only thing that actually make Rallel keep up with Nilou to be honest. 

Rallel has inferior speed, defense, hp, luck, and res (yes, level per level and bases with growths, Rallel's is worse). Once again, his attack is worse because Agalli has anima which offers far more variety than light tomes and generally anima tomes have more might anyways. Lower speed means that Agalli can dodge more often, couple that with luck, and Agali is the better mage, and once again, Agalli doesn't die from a stiff breeze and can actually fight mages better than Rallel can. I know people like to say "healers shouldn't get hit blah, blah, blah..." But the fact of the matter is that it's always nice to be able to allow a healer to be placed in danger if something goes wrong or you just see that you can make faster moves by allowing it. 

It's not alienating people by characters being better or worse. I can understand units being underpowered can be annoying, but the only person that really comes across as underpowered at the moment would be Tyren and perhaps Dewey, and Tyren can be fixed by having more items to steal. Dewey gets free weapons, so that's always nice, and if the trend continues could make him a worthy unit. 

You sir have swayed me to the other side. Agalli and Nilou are quite potent now that I can really think about it. I was just worried of change and all. The GBA games are my favorite fe games so I just kinda got all adamant there. Thanks for helping me see your side to the point of agreeing with you. Thanks. :)

Just finished beating Bloodlines 2.4. The game plays in a very smooth pace and overall, it's great so far. I don't have any major complaints on the gameplay but only one small problem that I found.

One of the reinforcements in chapter 2-6, a priest that shows up later in the map at the top right corner house. He has a berserk staff and a new item that I don't think I saw in patch 2.3, the Star Mirror, most likely it seems droppable but it wasn't and Tyren couldn't steal it. The priest didn't even use the berserk staff either. I had Uuni attack him right when he showed up so I can prevent it from using the staff so maybe that changed his AI? The Star Mirror says "a mystical mirror that boosts the user's magic" not so sure if it meant the character's magic growth or their magic stat entirely by how many points it does give. There wasn't a plus 2 magic or anything on the priest. 

By the end, the character's stats were either better or worse than my previous playthrough. Malcolm is still as good. 1st playthrough, he had a 16 strength and a 13 defense. 2nd playthrough, he has 12 strength and 15 defense. The only differnece I noticed was his aid is now a 6 instead an aid of 18 which isn't so much of a nerf. I was able to promote Sadaati and Rallel during/after chapter 2-4 with the 2 out of 3 earth seals that I got and they're much stronger than the rest of the cast since healers get more experience so they're up ahead than everyone. 

So far Lv12 Kael in both playthroughs, not once he has has never gotten a stats up in defense which is weird.

I would like that Tyren's personal weapon, the Starchaser, should be unbreakable. It would suck if that's the only one in the game. Maybe to balance it out is to nerf its attack by 1 or 2 might? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on 2-5 right now. Ran into a pretty major bug so figured I'd post it, but I see somebody already mentioned it. Sometimes when Uuni moves it glitches out pretty bad, I have screenshots if you need them.

Couple other things to mention, I think the new spawn point for Llyra is a bad spot. Lost her the first time and had to restart

Also I think Redahli needs a str boost, I mean shes at like her str/mag ratio is just horrible, I'm at 8 and 14 right now at lvl 13. It's almost pointless to give her swords, besides when I need her to dodge an axe or something. I remember mentioning it on the last version too.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished up with the last chapter of Bloodlines. The only thing I think I missed was recruiting JR (didn't realize that I shouldn't have fought him with the MC during the chapter and couldn't be bothered to go back for him). That being said, I found a few things.

When you promote Redahli, she becomes a Hero that can use tomes. Also the promotion causes some graphical glitches in the menu and the promotion animation. These are fixed once you start the chapter, however. I don't know if her promotion to Hero was intentional, but if it is Heroes need an animation for tomes. 

By the end, my character with the highest magic was actually Tyren. When you promote him his Magic gets set to maximum for some reason. 

Edited by WhiteyMcFly

• 2 weeks later...

Just played the entirety of the new patch - really enjoyed it. It's easy to tell the care put into creating this game and the world. It was a pretty immersive experience overall. I've shared my thoughts on individual characters below. Since I cannot access their stats from the final chapter since the patch ends, what I'll show is up to 2-5.

Kudos to Ghast and team, this was a unique and exciting hack to play.

SPOILERS BELOW: Beware of seeing endgame stat screens and character thoughts.

Spoiler

Bram.PNG.5f49abff57af87ebc11efd26be5910ff.PNG

Bram was solid throughout the entire game. Usually a go-to unit in most situations where someone else didn't have a clear advantage. I used the Ashyx sparingly and had a few uses left towards the end. Can't ask for much more from a lord character. Good enough to be useful without being so beefy that he can solo the game. As a character, I found Bram hard to relate to. He's certainly a bit tragic, and I like playing a game with a lord that wasn't likable for a change. 

Dewey.PNG.ccc0a9e389b69f997f53299f775c747f.PNG

I had a hard time figuring out how to use Dewey properly. I fielded him every map expecting him to be used to solve more puzzles or find hidden items, but by and large he was a liability. He would come in and clean up others' leftovers, and wasn't strong enough to deal with most cavaliers despite his super effective. Frenzy Howl was cool, but I found that I would end up getting attacked anyway. If I was to replay, I would Frenzy Howl stationary units vs. those that move exclusively. I think he nees a buff to HP if anything, just so that the player feels like they actually can use him. Curious to see what's in store for later in the game.

Agalli.PNG.4d1ca9635c3f593d47829adb70dc2737.PNG

Agalli had a slow start for me levels wise, and then started getting a few gems. With the super effective tomes for the Merfolk chapters, he was one of my best ranged attackers, and had enough HP to survive hits when needed. He is a solid mage that's fun to use. Cool mug too.

Malcolm.PNG.28f4d47392a2e9daa77462349a241b0b.PNG

Malcolm was my favorite unit and character to use in this hack. Flight + Bows is a lot of fun to use, and he was powerful enough to handle melee - look at that HP and defense! I'm assuming this is an above average Malcolm, but I really enjoyed using him. As a character, he's a great foil to Bram and very much is the Samwise to Bram's Frodo towards the end of Part 2.

Sadaati.PNG.d494dc60a18655b3deb2cf2b5f8d5d03.PNG

Sadaati was pretty fantastic as a healer, solid stats with great bulk. She promoted in the last chapter. Like her character and design too.

Nilou.PNG.4db73b2077f00291a6c28ce22ff3cb81.PNG

Nilou was great - used her like an armor knight against magic and she took hardly any damage throughout the game. Really liked using her and enjoyed her scene with Tyren on the boat. I can understand that some may not like her as much as Gillian/Redahli, but despite both using dark magic, they play completely differently. There are so few light magic users that it hardly mattered having two dark tome users in my main party. 

Kael.PNG.aefa63356eee050ba48050ef9012dc58.PNG

Kael hit the bench pretty quickly, I love fighters, but his lackluster stats made using him more of a chore. He peaked at the bee chapter and I benched him after the Marco chapter. Fine character in the story, just not fun to use. I like the idea of a speedy axe fighter, but I think Kael's design isn't suited for it aesthetically, nor do I think any of his stats are exceptional enough to warrant using him - he wasn't notably faster than Narbid and had 10 less defense. Maybe I got screwed, but there's very little reason to consider using him longterm.

Tyren.PNG.3c5756416f0e8c25b490ed0ea01b7e1d.PNG

Tyren was another character I struggled to use - his prf weapon is really nice, but by that point, he was far behind in levels. I benched him occasionally since I seldom found any of the stealables worth fielding him over someone else who can fight.

Lemonie.PNG.a8ae7ead8ee2193c35bf0db1df1ca92f.PNG

Lemonie's a little tragic - a great unit that is in a game where she can't shine. She's the best lance user you get, although lances don't seem to be that great in this game in general, so I struggled to use her effectively (or at least it felt like it). I benched her maybe one chapter, but overall she was fun to use, but had trouble keeping up in the later part of the game. Great to have a 2nd physical wall. Her design is nice as well. 

Nobia.PNG.8cd82375810155f0b766a3021b529b16.PNG

Nobia reminded me a lot of how Yeti built Marcus in FE7x. Good at nothing in particular, bad at nothing in particular is a stat spread that sounds helpful in theory, but the reality is, I found myself seldom finding reasons to use her, and I got a few bad level ups with her too. I much preferred using Lemonie for lances and thought JR outclassed her as a mount.

Rallel.PNG.2a3550566729dab90dda922c406e1fb2.PNG

Deceptively good, Rallel is a character that I realized is a fighter than can heal, not a healer that can fight - if you follow me. He is super frail to start, but his crazy EXP gains and high speed made him super usable in combat towards the end of the game. Fun and useful character.

Narbid.PNG.8b141d83189fe312593781061eace7ff.PNG

Narbid bodies Kael in everything except HP (where they're nearly equal) and Speed (where he was slightly worse). I think Narbid is a great defensive role play unit for choking points against physical units, with low enough speed and poor enough resistance to make throwing him at magic users a bad idea almost always. I liked using him, liked his character, and his battle animation is really neat.

Redhali.PNG.132027bf200e0c967417fe33056635ed.PNG

I subconsciously thought of Redahli as something of this game's spiritual Jeigan, but she was highly useful. Found myself almost always attacking with dark and then switching to the spring blade on defense if I needed her to hold down a square. Very rarely ran into any issues using her, useful throughout the entire game without being absurdly OP. She was a few good lines, but the scene with Bram where she cries felt extremely out of character. The scene where she tries to help Bram get his memory back was really well done though. 

Kylah.PNG.5fcfcc7683bd5ddc0b6512207611d003.PNG

Kylah looks good on paper, but I couldn't be bothered to try her out at all. My team felt really squishy in general with all the mages I was using, so I opted to try and fill gaps with bulkier units, like Lemonie.

JR.PNG.e775b63e877ba01a9f3a863c226b6368.PNG

JR was solid from the get-go. He was one of the few units I had that could consistently one round enemies. Like the edgelord satire too.

Llyra.PNG.05ece849e5b6718e8784527a8713324f.PNG

Llyra is cool, like her sprite and her clear viability in the underwater chapters. She need to be fed kills and there isn't much payoff yet since she was so far behind my other units when I got her. She was tough to recruit as well, died 2 turns after appearing. Even with her better strength, I never once used lances. Maybe at higher levels she'll be better suited for them, but with her low con, the ranged magic attacks made much more sense, especially for giving her kills. Curious to see how solid her growths are and if she becomes super strong at endgame.

Uuni.PNG.ec07b2fc916ea2995f4f6a8a40a6a625.PNG

Love this guy - just couldn't justify using him. As I write this, I realize he's basically essential for unlocking the gaiden chapter since the villagers are under siege almost immediately. Will definitely use him in my next playthough.

Edited by Lowen

On 4/29/2017 at 1:31 PM, Lowen said:

Hide contents

Uuni.PNG.ec07b2fc916ea2995f4f6a8a40a6a625.PNG

Love this guy - just couldn't justify using him. As I write this, I realize he's basically essential for unlocking the gaiden chapter since the villagers are under siege almost immediately. Will definitely use him in my next playthough.

Is there a Gaiden chapter other than the one you recruit J.R. in? I rescued all the villagers and saved all the villages, and all I got was a stat-up item at the end of it. Didn't even use Uuni; Malcolm ended up doing the vast majority of the rescues for me. 

The Gaiden Chapter that would trigger if you rescued all the villagers from the current final chapter of part 2 isn't in the game yet, but Ghast did confirm that the Gaiden was a thing awhile back in the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the best hacks I've played, really looking forward to the next update. The story is interesting and I like the characters, and the animations/mugs are excellent. Few cons, though, some of the maps were extremely difficult and kinda frustrating because a lot of the units (at least for me) were way too weak. Some of them really need some buffs because they were too useless throughout my playthrough. (Kael, Dewey, Lyra, Nobia, and the jelly fish, which IMO it's starting level should be higher than 7 if the enemies are all level 12ish on the map you unlock him on, it was almost impossible to level it up at that point.) But other than that, think this is a fantastic hack and if this gets finished it will be my personal favorite.

Also, Bram x Gillian pls

• ghast locked this topic
  • ghast unlocked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hmm its a good hack with a good story but its extremely difficult. right now im stocked in the "fear" chapter. cant win it :/ every round 2 new meirman appear and in the end they are too much and i cant gain any single inch of ground. also many of my guys are useless because they fall in sleep (chance is over 80%) is this a bug or must i do something to stop reinforcements?

Edited by Sendo