Bloodlines (2.4)

ghast

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not playing/watching past the LP, because I wanna enjoy it all fresh when I eventually play it.

I have ADHD, as does a huge portion of other gamers (Including ADD, which I don't have). It means if my attention isn't grabbed instantly or very quickly, I become bored. I'm actually not even that critical, I just look for specific things, like how the dialogue is written, if characters act believably, if the villain looks/sounds intimidating, if the main character is likeable, if other characters are animated and emotional (Ie: Not Nayr-face boring blah expressions). Just one of those things is enough to pique my interest generally. Having multiple combined elements of those can easily make me love a game much more, and even if one or two of those elements are nixed (Like say the mugs are blah and the overall story is cliche) having other elements be generally far superior can still hold my interest.

Things that don't impress me nearly as much: Flashy graphics (Custom menus, etc, mainly because most of them are way too colorful and tasteless or like DoF they are too bright and cheery/cluttered and contrast poorly with the dark story the designer is aiming for, even if I do appreciate the actual effort put into them), custom music (Unless it's made by Agro because he uses really tasteful songs that are well-suited to the emotions of the scene), and basically anything that's inserted to say "Hey look I put this in because I am clever and awesome!". For example, if Dewey was just in the game because "Lol I put a doggy in hey guys my game is so cool right I hope everyone loves the doggy", then I would call that a poor choice. Instead, Dewey contributes to the game by having unique character interactions (The dog chase scene, him being naughty and causing problems but still being man's best friend at the end of the day) and unique gameplay mechanics (He enters the small hole that nobody else can fit into, causes mayhem, makes the villains scared shitless which I thought was hilarious, etc).

Things like the bees, the mermen, etc, those are also great because they build atmosphere. It's not just "aw cute a doggy" but other species that live and breathe in this world and have their own unique circumstances. They have their own viewpoint, such as maybe hating the human invaders, or being symbols of overt racism (Maybe humans look down on mermen?), or any other number of elements all realistically being put together in a believable way.

So, IMO this may be the best hack I've seen in my entire time in the Fire Emblem community. I'm also a huge fan of Eternal Bond for all the reasons listed, and I like Inheritance of Ash because of other tasteful meldings of new with old.

Edit: Oh right, as for TRTR, I like it because the characters are believable, and they are dealing with serious issues, like corruption in government. Additionally, while Prime did do a few weird graphical things (Like when he had that loltastic scrolling background mashup of class cards behind the inventory menu) he generally fixed those issues, and now the tone he aims for is darker. The new TRTR menu screen oozes darkness (Wait has he shown that off yet? Oops don't wanna let the cat out of the bag), the world map he designed has a cool unique style to it since he made it himself, and the mugs are very tasteful and their styles are all made by the same two people so they don't clash. The mugs are also very expressive, they feel like a solid Serra/Nino/Matthew mug, meaning you can tell what character they're going to be like by just looking at them.

thanks klok! You got it right with the atmosphere part. these words mean a lot. Can't wait to see you play through it!

For example, if Dewey was just in the game because "Lol I put a doggy in hey guys my game is so cool right I hope everyone loves the doggy", then I would call that a poor choice. Instead, Dewey contributes to the game by having unique character interactions (The dog chase scene, him being naughty and causing problems but still being man's best friend at the end of the day) and unique gameplay mechanics (He enters the small hole that nobody else can fit into, causes mayhem, makes the villains scared shitless which I thought was hilarious, etc).

I think this has what has caught people most off guard about Bloodlines - The fact that Dewey actually has a unique purpose, and isn't just some puppy trailing along for the aww factor. There's some grumblings about suspension of disbelief I'm sure, but hey, the Nomad's horse can jump about 30 feet in the air, so...

I think this has what has caught people most off guard about Bloodlines - The fact that Dewey actually has a unique purpose, and isn't just some puppy trailing along for the aww factor. There's some grumblings about suspension of disbelief I'm sure, but hey, the Nomad's horse can jump about 30 feet in the air, so...

i have such a fun time developing Dewey. And when MK started to talk about his parents being bad with pets i couldn't help but smile. I like that people can find a sort of likeness to bram and dewey and the dynamic between em.

Just got through playing your hack and I am really surprised. I was very skeptical about Dewey when I saw you release the game but you pulled off the personality very well and you also nailed his interactions with other characters. You get a good sense of most of the characters personalities in the beginning and it helps make it worthwhile to keep them around. Gameplay wise, I really like what you do with the riddles. It's a very rewarding way of getting items. You're eventing was also very nice and I didn't see any problems there. I'm no good at animations so I can't really critique yours but I do just want to say kudos for the sheer amount of new things you added(actually putting glasses on the character with glasses). Only thing I could spot wrong were some few typos in the text but that's about it. Your writing is entertaining as well and I can't wait to see how this story unfolds. Thanks for the great hack!

:,D thanks for the positive feedback, Eldin!

I've been picking up some random grammar errors and fixing them as I see. Cero's LP's are giving me an LP'ers POV and I'm just correcting the errors through his videos lol.

Thank god for Cero on that one

Though in my playthrough of the recent fixed patch, I did notice some errors but that's probably just one of those mistakes writers tend to overlook. But in hindsight, you did fix a few of the grammatical errors from the old patch which was the first scene with Bram at present time after the dream sequence intro.

Man Pent you gotta stop studying in the basement for weeks on end.

It does things to you.

and makes you use swords NYAAAHHH

but where's the shading?!

PILLOW SHADING RIGHT

• 1 month later...

I really like this hax. Having said that, where's my owl?

Sprites are purdy, story's fun. And the doggy is owlsome. But still not an owl, so really, where is it?

It is very hard, I'll say that. I got through it, but it took a lot of slow moving and save abuse. But this is irrowlevant, where is my owl?!

I noticed a couple glitchy type things. One being that the rat tail could be picked up an infinite number of times by waiting on the tile where it's hidden (twice per turn if you use a consumable with a cavalry unit). And another thing was that, despite no one being able to convince Lemonie, she joins the last battle as a level 1 player unit (she did survive as an NPC before, but they don't really acknowledge her joining and she isn't equipped with anything). And most importantly, there's no owl.

In cowlnclusion, misleading title is misleading.

1LQ9Qm1.jpg

yo, thanks for letting me know about them glitches. I have only been working on the plot because it's the only thing i can do at the moment (animating and hacking requires a lot of sit-down time for me, which i don't have atm)

for me this is the hacking off-season. (but this is def still kicking!)

• 4 weeks later...

waddup mans and womans

update. Not dead despite almost a month! The plot is now written out for the next part. Hopefully going to get some map requests done soon and get the ball rolling come christmas break.

Currently waiting for some maps.

But I've started an LP of FE7 AND this is a plug!!! Since i'm getting into making videos now, I plan on making update videos to Bloodlines for every 'milestone' of subscribers I pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMuwKjgpBnk

hope you can kill sometime with this :3