your music taste throughout the years

Aizenberg

What's everyone's music taste been like throughout the years. mine was something like this;

ages 5 to 8: I'm pretty sure i was listening to stuff like Five, Eiffel 65, Gorrilaz, Papa Roach, Outkast, Limp Bizkit

ages 9 to 10: I was well into Queen and Guns N' Roses. especially Guns N' Roses

ages 11 to 12: I started to listen to what my older brothers were listening to at the time. So stuff like Oasis, (mainly Masterplan) Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd, Rage Against the Machine

ages 13 to 15: A time where i really started to get into music. Around 13 I was listening to a lot of The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre. I then went on to bands like Bruce Springsteen, Jeff Buckley, Metallica, Roxy Music, The Stone Roses, Joy Division, more Oasis, Blur

age 16: When music was pretty much my only friend (I was a lonely teen), I spammed all kinds of bands like The Smiths, Radiohead, The Beatles, David Bowie, King Crimson, Talking Heads, Weezer, Ramones, REM, Pixies, The Beatles, more Pink Floyd, The Cure

age 17: Neil Young, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Replacements, The Velvet Underground, Paul Weller, Jimi Hendrix, The Clash, Manic Street Preachers, Misfits

age 18: The Doors, Green Day, Cast, The Rolling Stones, Pulp, Biggie, Wu tang Clan, Eazy-E, Public Image

age 19: Gary Numan, all kinds of 80s music, more Metallica, The Who

age 20: Van Halen......some other shit I've forgotten about. I'm listening to Def Leppard at the moment

Edited by Aizenberg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mf the browser just ate my post

OK let's retype it. BORN 1991

In the early 90s I didn't really make decisions for myself and so I listened to whatever my parents listened to. For my dad, that was somewhere between 80s pop (a-ha, alphaville, the mission uk) and 90s songstresses (sarah mclachlan, the cranberries, sinead o'connor) and some other stuff (deuter, kitaro, yanni). For my mother, that was Metallica, 311, and Ozzy. In 1996 the young band The Corrs started up and this is relevant.

In the later 90s I possessed money and I spent it. I bought a Fastball album, a Sugar Ray album, and saved for a Blink 182 album but never decided to get it. Really, this is the one section of the post that has no relevance to anything later - I was 8 and it was the late 90s and I stopped listening to the albums and anything like them. I did listen to 90s boy bands with my sister and still listen to the Backstreet Boys sometimes, though. I developed a huge crush on Natalie Imbruglia. I started to listen to The Corrs on my own time.

In 2001 we moved to Germany and things changed. My dad had a computer set up with his music on it, so I was in charge of putting music on for him. His tastes shifted a bit, incorporating new artists like Alizee, tatu, and Avril Lavigne. My mother became enamored with German music, especially Rammstein and (later) Eisbrecher. I played around with my new power and mostly conformed to my dad's tastes, though I did toss in Shriekback occasionally because I really liked them.

2004 saw us in the continental United States, and 2005 saw me with my first own computer in my own room. I was in charge of my own music for once! I settled on starting with just a few albums: Shriekback's Oil and Gold, Cake's Fashion Nugget, Loreena McKennitt's Book of Secrets, Dagda's Hibernia: The Story of Ireland, Enigma's MCMXC AD, Clannad's Anam and Magical Ring, and an Enya album or two. Plus, both of the Corrs albums we owned.

2006 or so I was getting into Guild Wars and I really really liked listening to music while I played Guild Wars. This saw me taking a return to form from my long ago days, reviving Sarah McLachlan and Natalie Imbruglia and the Cranberries while digging up new additions from my dad's library. An album by Paula Cole, two by Charlotte Martin, three or four by Jewel, two by Sixpence None the Richer, one by the former Melanie C (the former Sporty Spice), this was the time that really solidified my own music tastes for the next until still today. I even dug up a Corrs album that hadn't been on the media machine I ran in the early 00s for whatever reason and added it to my collection.

Early 2008 saw a slight divergence from that course. I was grinding rep for whatever faction in Burning Crusade, soon to quit WoW for another year or three, when I decided I wanted music I could just zone into while I was doing that. A failed foray into alternate Enigma albums led me into Delerium, which petered out fast, and finally into a young band my dad had just bought into called Blue Stone. Beautiful stuff, took me to alternatives like Balligomingo and Conjure One, but that course of action was short-lived and I returned to my previous course with the new albums in tow. I also bought the remaining two Corrs albums I didn't own.

Onwards to 2010! My beloved sister, the Spex, was watching some anime or another and she fell in love with the voice of either the opening or ending tune. That girl was Kanon Wakeshima, and one day my sister says to me "hey ike you'd like this song" so I did the logical thing and listened to the album. Shortly afterwards, I lobbied hard for her to buy the other Kanon Wakeshima album, which is a thing that did happen. Later that year (or perhaps early 2011) the same thing happened, again, precisely the same way, resulting in my introduction to Kalafina. I had had a long-lived on-and-off love affair with Russian music across my whole life, but this was the first time I started to get hard into an international venue and then I just suddenly stopped right there. Besides those two artists, still some of the best of my library, I own one other Japanese artist's album.

The next few years were basically just buying a new Kalafina release or two. Really, very little changed, until

2013. I have no idea what happened, one day my sister owned Girls Generation's first Japanese album. I tossed it in my car on a lark and listened to it on the way to and from school one day and was modestly unimpressed. When I got back in the car the next day, it was still in, so I figured what the hell I'll listen to it again I kinda liked this one song. The following day, MR. TAXI TAXI TAXI SOMETHING JEUKSHI JEUKSHI JEUKSHI awwwww fuck.

I bought another Girls Generation album for myself. I bought another Girls Generation album for the Spex. I looked into other, non Girls Generation Korean music and learned about Park Ji-Yoon after watching her in a drama. iTunes became my best friend, my gateway into Korean pop. Pandora became my sister's best friend, her introduction to new artists. Another Girls Generation, two f(x) for the Spex, a T-ara, that's the trend I'm on now.

And, God help me, I love it.

I think my music tastes rather just add on to each other than change entirely

Like I guess I started with Cpop from all those Chinese tv dramas I watched as a kid

Then I started getting into classical

Then I liked rock

Then I liked metal

Then I liked beyonce

but it's additive instead of replacing

Not gonna list specific bands because I'm lazy

Edited by Thor Odinson

but it's additive instead of replacing

Same except for the brief period in the later 90s - if anything, I clip eight albums of a type I like down to four or five when I move on, but I don't fully move on.

I was born in 1999.

I wasn't really that interested into music when I was younger. I started to enjoy listening to music when I found out I was one hell of a singer I watched the 11th season of American Idol.

That was 2 years ago.. so my music taste is still really the same. I don't like calling it "pop" though, because I feel like that's the wrong name for the music genre... but whatever.

I normally listen to Demi Lovato, Fifth Harmony, Katy Perry, Beyoncé and Ellona Santiago.

I guess I like "pop" music. btw, iTunes calls everything "pop".

Edited by Ellona Santiago

an interesting question!

like a few others, it's additive.

pre-10: rock, heavy metal, hip-hop. but only stuff either my dad played (rock, heavy metal), or stuff that was popular to us kids in LA at the time

10-13: stopped listening to rap for some dumb reason. to compound my poor choices, i also began to listen to 3 songs from american idiot a lot around this time (boulevard, american idiot, rebel)

14-17: oldie dadrock bullshit. "born in the wrong time" kinda guy (never vocally showed this, but it's how i felt). started to like rap again, introduced to folk and the blues.

18-now: p much everything. there's a few specific genres i don't enjoy (shoegaze), as well as a few blanket genres i don't like (noise, metal that itsn't like the oldies, electronic), but for the most part i can enjoy everything.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I am an oldie, I was born in 1988 so:

_6-12: My love is blue, Bryan Adam and Micheal Jackson.

_13-15: Songs in my language.

_15-18: All of the good 90s songs, a lot of piano pieces, Micheal Jackson again.

_18-19: K-pop, The Scorpion, Eminem, 80s songs.

_19-25: Tupac, Rammstein, Nightwish,...ect...ect...and mostly...anime songs.

Edited by Char

i feel like my musical tastes haven't even changed one bit. right now my musical tastes are essentially melodic music in the form of synthrock, metal, teen-pop, and orchestral; rap music being a guilty pleasure at times. when i was a kid and i wasn't very exposed to much music at all, i took a liking to music from rayman for the ps1, the theme song to the original pokemon anime, the songs in f-zero x for the n64, britney spears/nsync/backstreet boys/s club 7 pop music, and the soundtracks of animated disney films and "classic television".

I dunno, uh...

Very young (until like 8 or something): Raffi, Michael Feinstein.

After that (until like 15): Barely listened to music myself.

From around sophomore year of high school on: Jazz, blues, and folk stuff. Django Reinhardt, Mose Allison, Ahmad Jamal, Herbie Hancock, Josh White, Taj Mahal. Also Jacques Brel and Tom Waits and Jesse Winchester. Bohren & Der Club of Gore, Thelonius Munk (sp?), Coltrane. Oh and definitely Count Basie. Lyle Lovett.
The whole time I was reading the Berserk manga I listened to a CD from Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie Hall.

Later: John Gorka, Ken Ishii (from Rez!), Teddy Thompson, Irepress

Oh and Peruvian pan flute music.

Oh and last summer I went to a symphony of Zelda music at NJPAC. I like video game music too.

Edited by SeverIan

I was born in 1999.

emot-aaaaa.gif

I am an oldie, I was born in 1988 so:

How cute..

Born: 1981. Yeeeahh...

When i was wee, it was basically anything that sounded good. Whether it was the Steve Miller Band, Crosby Stills and Nash (and/or Young) or whatever, i liked it. The first song i distinctly remember hearing was Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin. I do remember going through my very young years hearing all sorts of 80s New Wave. I was particularly fond of Tears For Fears and the Thompson Twins. I was also really into the Cure and New Order. Elton John, David Bowie, Heart, Peter Gabriel, and Genesis were tapes i would play repeatedly. (much to my sister's chagrin...) I also really liked Madonna. I was kinda into Michael Jackson too.

Then, when i was about 10, nearly every girl my age was into the big boyband of the era: the New Kids On The Block. I was....no exception. Them and New Edition were groups i just loved during those pre-teen years. I also loved PM Dawn and Arrested Development. (yes, there was a hip-hop act called that back in the day. The former members of that ended up being the Fugees among other things..) Some of the hip-hop of the day, like MC Hammer and Run DMC were just the business.

Then i turned 11 and discovered the outbreak of alternative music. I discovered metal, industrial, grunge, and other forms of weirder music. I dove HEAD FIRST into these genres. Pearl Jam was one rather special band. Everything on the airwaves in the early 90s was just...so weird! It was all over the place! Ween, Nirvana, Skinny Puppy, Alice In Chains, Aerosmith returned with a vengeance, Queen (an old love but Bohemian Rhapsody made me revisit them), Metallica, Megadeth, the list goes on. But i eventually settled rather comfortably with the likes of the grunge rock. I stayed there for some time. At 13, more metal entered my life. I found Testament, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Crowbar, Corrosion of Conformity, Suicidal Tendencies (ok they are more punkish but yeah), etc. So i hung out in this blurry range of metal and grunge and stuff like Type O Negative for a good portion of my teen years. However, at 14 or so, i developed a massive love for Nine Inch Nails. So i would blare that shit along with Soundgarden.

When i hit high school, i tried to give punk rock a shot. It missed. I just couldnt get into that stuff. It wasnt for a lack of trying either. Punk's revival was in full swing around 1995. Everyone i hung out with was trying to be all punk and i was like, "screw this noise. Im gonna hang out with the metal heads. You guys are just too...rigid!"

Then came my absolute dismissal of pop music. You ask me who was hip in 1998 to 2004, i wont be able to tell you outside of some nu-metal bands. Speaking of nu-metal, i detested that shit with a huge passion and never could understand why people loved that crap. College, i had a lot of friends getting Down With The Sickness so to speak and i was all "lol no." I went deep into metal and its more unusual subgenres. Having already loved death metal like Obituary, i kinda took what i saw and just ran with it. 2002 to about 2008 saw me (balls) deep into the metal scene. Going to shows, hanging out with metal dudes, partying with thrash guys from San Francisco, discovering black metal and prog. It was kind of a fun era actually. I dont regret it.

Then i turned back to industrial and revisited guys like Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Front 242, etc. I also found a bevy of newer acts or stuff i had missed like Assemblage 23, Psyclon 9, and what not. All the while digging back into the gothic rock stuff i enjoyed way back in the day like Sisters of Mercy. I did also find an interesting niche in ambient psytrance ala Shpongle.

These days? Its sorta like how i was as a wee child: Anything that sounds good. The exceptions are country music and most mainstream pop. (i do enjoy me some occasional Lady Gaga though.) So really, my musical tastes are all over the place now.

(I did discover the joys of video game music during the late 90s. I would often record it off my games onto cassettes. I had a stereo receiver connected to my SNES and later, my N64 and other consoles. I would literally rip the music off with my receiver. Then the internet happened in my household and i didnt have to do that anymore.)

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Over the years, I've definitely gained an appreciation for symphonic/orchestral music. This is partly why I highly prefer orchestrated game themes to the more MIDI sounding ones.

I used to like a ton of jpop and mainstream pop but now I find it pretty eh. I've veered away from pop in general and went more towards rock/alternative, where there tends to be a lot less autotune and such. I love hearing legitimate vocal talent though, so I'll listen to anything pretty much. Also, broadway/broadway style music is amazing. Love that too. In general, my tastes can be summed up to: powerful voice, no autotune pls, well composed and/or catchy melody = I'll probably like.

I think autotune can be stylized and used as a tool, but when it is the only thing supporting your voice and it isn't used to enhance the song and it's still fucking exaggerated even though it does bit need that, it's badly done.

Agreed. Ive heard some really amazing uses of autotune in industrial and Future Pop acts. But the mainstream tends to overuse it to the point where its actually masking a terrible voice.

Oi...totally missed this:

My mother became enamored with German music, especially Rammstein and (later) Eisbrecher.

Hey Integ, ask yer mum about Einstuzende Neubauten. Im curious if shes down with those guys. (they are gr9)

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the oldest on this forum by about a decade, so I'm probably going to be a bit different.

I listened to pop a tiny bit until around 2002, when it became an earsore for me. I also liked jazz ever since I was in college, so I moved on to listening to just that. Listening to classical a whole lot has been one of my recent trends, due to my getting sick of jazz around 2010, similar to my getting sick of video games just last year(I secretly hope to only still have a casual interest in games, and I am keeping that).

around 11 or 12 i got into motorhead and black sabbath which started the downward spiral of metal that still more or less continues today, though at 12 and 13 i mostly listened to shitty bands

around 14 or 15 i got into black flag and minor threat, which led me to bands like poison idea and discharge, which led me to bands like aus rotten, which led me to bands like napalm death, etc; punk also introduced me to noise rock ala early swans, big black, and flipper. subsequently, early swans got me into later swans, which got me into post punk (though i'm still pretty new to all that- the chameleons is about as deep as i've delved)

around 16 the combination of the folk rock (neil young, warren zevon, bob dylan) that i grew up with my dad playing combined with my taste in punk got me into bands like johnny hobo, mischief brew, ghost mice, etc.

then at 17 increasingly heavier drug use made me get more and more into that sound along with a lot more sludge (passing interest in eyehategod became obsession and other bands like mammoth grinder and grief followed suit) and grindcore (same thing- like of early napalm death became love of it along with agathocles and unholy grave).

now at 18 the trends from around 16-18 are still pretty much there. i don't think my taste changed, just expanded.

edit: oh and i've recently gotten into "slowcore" which is the dumbest name for a genre holy fuck, but bands like red house painters and codeine are pretty great. honestly my last.fm probably tells more about my taste in music then i could ever do: http://www.last.fm/user/acidfordinner

Edited by bonesaw

I mostly listened to stupid mainstream garbage up until I was about 10 (born in 1996 for reference). I then discovered Guitar Hero, and started getting into rock music, mostly what was in the games (barring the heavier stuff like Slayer and the death metal stuff). So I primarily listened to bands like The Living End, Foo Fighters, AC/DC and Queens of the Stone Age.

A few years back I started getting more and more interested in heavier and more complex music, so I now listen to a lot of alternative and progressive metal like Chevelle, Opeth, Dream Theater, Tool, Karnivool, Protest the Hero, Mastodon and The Sword. I mostly enjoy music that is more than just *wubwub*sex*wubwub*party*wubwub* (I hate dubstep by the way) and actually has some interesting meaning behind the lyrics and complex instrumentation.

I still like a fair bit of rock stuff (AC/DC, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Pearl Jam) and even some ska-punk (Mighty Mighty Bosstones). I've also recently taken a liking to video game music, and I also really enjoy comedy music like Weird Al, The Lonely Island and Tenacious D.