Ema Skye

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, though, I think giving types to the E4 and gym leaders would be fun.

I agree. It'd feel more authentic, and I think there are ways to create more variety with 718 pokemon released (minus ubers) even with every pokemon sharing a type on the team; abilities, secondary types, movesets, potential megas, etc. And I think they'd be more challenging than your garden variety AI controlled gym leader/elite 4 team, while still being just as authentic. If I wanted to battle a series of random competitive teams with the same overused pokemon, I could just keep battling random teams online.

When I did enforce types on the gyms, a lot of them complained about being so restricted. Which is why I got rid of it.

But if 7 of the 13 league members are okay with typed gyms, I'm cool with it.

I'd be okay with monotype gym leaders. I mean, with 700+ pokemon minus ubers and all the dual types, I think it would be relatively easy to build a monotype team and still be able to cover most types.

Please Thena? Pretty pleeeeeaaaaase? /juniperwoods

Edited by DualSilverGunner

I mean, I'm cool with being beat. But even with mono-type, like DualGunner said, it's possible to cover most types with dual-types.

This is supposed to be fun, after all. And being super hard to beat isn't fun. At least for the competitors.

Edited by Not-an-Apple

I already said it, but I think using a type based team like an in-game gym leader would be fun. Otherwise, would legendaries be ok to use if they're not Uber, like Heatran, Jirachi or Thundurus-T?

I already said it, but I think using a type based team like an in-game gym leader would be fun. Otherwise, would legendaries be ok to use if they're not Uber, like Heatran, Jirachi or Thundurus-T?

Just my opinion, but a single or two legendaries are fine - but I hate teams consisting of 3-5.

If we're going by Smogon's rules then I suppose so.

If we're going by Nintendo's standards, then Jirachi would not do at all.

I agree, monotype battles are just more fun for both gym leaders and challengers. Also I suggest that challengers should post their team here so that they can't change mons before each battle (i.e. to counter a specific type)

Well, the contestants should be allowed to use whatever they want, as long as they don't create teams to counter specific gym leaders/League members. (That would be unfair. ;~;)

But yes, I agree. Contestants should post their 'mons beforehand so that we know they won't change them during the game.

Just my opinion, but a single or two legendaries are fine - but I hate teams consisting of 3-5.

I totally agree.

When they're are so many of them, I just go "Ugh, it's one of those people. >_>"

Edited by Not-an-Apple

Agreed. I was building a team earlier and 1 legendary was really useful to my team, but I wouldn't use more than that 1.

Well, the contestants should be allowed to use whatever they want, as long as they don't create teams to counter specific gym leaders/League members. (That would be unfair. ;~;)

But yes, I agree. Contestants should post their 'mons beforehand so that we know they won't change them during the game.

What if the Contestant were forced to use a starter? It's not a big condition(I think) and it would keep in the spirit of the game. Just a suggestion though

What if the Contestant were forced to use a starter? It's not a big condition(I think) and it would keep in the spirit of the game. Just a suggestion though

Well, I dunno, I get the feeling that there would be a (much much much) higher number of Charizard, Venusaur, Blaziken, Greninja, Infernape, and other OU starters than the more niche Meganium, Delphox, Torterra, and other RU/NU starters...

Also, I think every leader and league member should have unique Pokemon.

That is, let's say one gym leader has grass as his/her type, and uses, say, Whimsicott, then a gym leader with fairy as his/her type shouldn't carry Whimsicott.

With only 13 members, there should still be enough Pokemon to go around.

Edited by Not-an-Apple

It would probably be best to keep it as open as possible within reality for the challengers. It's kind of hard as it is to mix-up a bunch of teams when there are a lot of popular picks in the current OU, so we wouldn't see many Meganiums, Torterras, Emboars, etc as it's been pointed out as opposed to all the Mega!Gen1 starters, or Infernape (no Blaziken tho, uber). We should encourage tier diversity, but not really enforce it, IMO.

Absolutely.

I've decided that I'll be opening two tryout dates, being February 1st and February 8th. Both are Saturdays. I'll be around pretty much all day, so if you want to have your try out battle, contact me on that day.

Well, I dunno, I get the feeling that there would be a (much much much) higher number of Charizard, Venusaur, Blaziken, Greninja, Infernape, and other OU starters than the more niche Meganium, Delphox, Torterra, and other RU/NU starters...

That is, let's say one gym leader has grass as his/her type, and uses, say, Whimsicott, then a gym leader with fairy as his/her type shouldn't carry Whimsicott.

That's true. Guess we're better leaving it open.

And when you say unique pokemon are you refering to a single pokemon or multiple pokemons? As in, in-game, most Gym-leaders, Elite Four and Champion have 1 signature pokemon that only they use. Or did you mean that no team should have any pokemon in common?

[complete9900ff]Well, I dunno, I get the feeling that there would be a (much much much) higher number of Charizard, Venusaur, Blaziken, Greninja, Infernape, and other OU starters than the more niche Meganium, Delphox, Torterra, and other RU/NU starters...[/color]

I'm not sure about that…some people (like me) might already have a completed OU monotype team and really wouldn't feel like changing any team members…plus gym leaders who sign up later than others will have less options to choose from.

To avoid counter teaming, monotype would be redefined as "Four Pokes of one type +2 wildcards". I think this is a fair compromise between no restrictions and monotype. Plus it's a pretty similar build to the Pokemon Stadium Gym Leaders.

That's true. Guess we're better leaving it open.

And when you say unique pokemon are you refering to a single pokemon or multiple pokemons? As in, in-game, most Gym-leaders, Elite Four and Champion have 1 signature pokemon that only they use. Or did you mean that no team should have any pokemon in common?

The latter.

I'm not sure about that…some people (like me) might already have a completed OU monotype team and really wouldn't feel like changing any team members…plus gym leaders who sign up later than others will have less options to choose from.

True...

But if at all possible, I think it'd be good.

I wouldn't want to be facing the same 'mons more than a few times...

Unlike that accursed place known as Battle Spot.

I've only recently got into competitive battling on Showdown, but I'd still like to participate if possible. I've never heard of this before, so is this all restricted to OU? Is it singles, doubles, etc? (I believe at least one gym leader battle in Hoenn was doubles.) Anyways, this sounds really fun! ^_^

Back when I did the Steel Gym for Doofinas gym battles. I hadn't done competitive battling since the first three gens. You'll be fine.

Also sorry to say I won't be able to join this time..