Why do people overrate Hector as a unit?

Junkhead

He's a good unit, I admit. Among the three other Lords, he's actually competent. Can take a few hits and can usually hit hard enough to 2HKO, right? Yet, I've always felt that he was sort of overrated, by players. Not by tier list players, but most others, yes.

He's not exactly a powerhouse that 1RKO's like Marcus or Raven (no, I am not disregarding his durability here). He's really just some sort of Knight, with 5 Move and Axes.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, the way I see this, it's the same case with Ephraim, it because he mains something other than swords, and he probably said something or two that made him... sigh... "bro" status... I can't remember, haven't played FE7 in years... as a unit though, yeah, he's pretty legit

What makes Ephraim good isn't the fact that he uses lances alone, it's the fact that he gets crazy good stats in good areas, his Prf is insanely good and he promotes to cavalry?

The Wolf Beil is a really good weapon, but Hector himself isn't brilliant. He's certainly formidable, though, far moreso than Eliwood, Roy, arguably Lyn and Eirika...

He's also forced in every chapter in his mode and can easily contribute.

Roy is forced in every chapter in his game (no matter what mode!) and can contribute, too.

Ah, I remember back in the day when I was an idiot and would argue how Lyn was better than Hector. I got smarter, of course; I just keep it to myself now.

ANYWAY, yeah, Hector was never too impressive in my eyes. The low Spd compounded with Hit issues early on always made it to difficult for me to really get him running, and then when he does get going he's not really better than most others, especially with that forever 5 move. Axes are a definite plus, though.

Excluding mounts, Hector might be the best unpromoted unit in the game lol. He has a great stat spread, starts with the best weapon type, and has an insanely powerful Prf weapon. Sure he's not game-breaking like Marcus is, but what's there not to love? His crappy post promotion move is the only thing holding him back a whole lot. Raven is alright, but Hector just makes the earlier stages of the game so much easier.

Among the three other Lords, he's actually competent.

Hmm, you might be underrating the other two. ; )

Edited by SRC

Everyone really likes Hector because he can take a hit unlike most Lords and is one of the few competent Axe users.

He's good in the beginning, but I don't really like him in the later half when magic and big maps hinder him a lot while he stays unpromoted.

What makes Ephraim good isn't the fact that he uses lances alone, it's the fact that he gets crazy good stats in good areas, his Prf is insanely good and he promotes to cavalry?

I'm not arguing that, it's just that's all I see... though I'd say if Eirika ever gets off ground level, she's better than her brother, minus the lance business, but that's due to my thinking that Skl and Spd are a little more important than Str, she can always equip a strong sword

He stands out as a Lord. Compare him with Lyn and Eliwood and you get it, as he is actually decent and helpful/important for the early game.

Watching and reading many FE7 runs I have to say that a lot of them have a really spd blessed Hector, which really make him above average, in some cases even nearly god like, if you keep in mind that he has great Str. and Def too. His low movement is irrelevant in a casual game, too.

I'm not arguing that, it's just that's all I see... though I'd say if Eirika ever gets off ground level, she's better than her brother, minus the lance business, but that's due to my thinking that Skl and Spd are a little more important than Str, she can always equip a strong sword

Well you'd be wrong because Ephraim has no hit or doubling issues, bluntly, and it's my (this part is more subjective) belief that concrete durability with okay dodging is better than good dodging and no actual durability. 'Good enough to hit and double' is the only speed and skill you need - Ephraim is good in both stats, Eirika is overkill.

If 'all you can see' is 'Ephraim is really good at killing people', then why dissent?

Roy is forced in every chapter in his game (no matter what mode!) and can contribute, too.

I'm laughing at how you took out the easily contributes part of ZM's post.

It's difficult to say he easily contributes in many parts of HM even jokingly. :(

I'm laughing at how you took out the easily contributes part of ZM's post.

It's difficult to say he easily contributes in many parts of HM even jokingly. :(

I figured the point got across, but visiting villages is a pretty easy contribution, if I must.

Hector can naturally wield 1-2 range as soon as it's available, he doesn't die to a stiff breeze (unless it's Excalibur), and he doesn't incur the wrath of Hammers/Armorslayers (IIRC, smack me if I'm wrong). The first one is a big point in his favor, and the others ensure that he can stay on the front lines.

Well you'd be wrong because Ephraim has no hit or doubling issues, bluntly, and it's my (this part is more subjective) belief that concrete durability with okay dodging is better than good dodging and no actual durability. 'Good enough to hit and double' is the only speed and skill you need - Ephraim is good in both stats, Eirika is overkill.

If 'all you can see' is 'Ephraim is really good at killing people', then why dissent?

That, what's bolded right there, is never what I said, at all... or even implied.

What I actually said was people 'overrate' him for being a lance lord, even if that word doesn't exactly fit.

And also, if we're talking promoted or even capped, how is Eirika 'no durability' if her Def is one point less than her brother?

Which leads me to my question, how's my opinion on this matter wrong, then you promptly state yours like it's a fact?

Edited by Soledai

And also, if we're talking promoted or even capped, how is Eirika 'no durability' if her Def is one point less than her brother?

Which leads me to my question, how's my opinion on this matter wrong, then you promptly state yours like it's a fact?

The main game isn't played with all units at their absolute max everything. Eir starts out with quite a bit less HP/DEF than her brother, and that gap stays (he's got higher growths in both). She'll eventually beat him by about one point in RES by 20/20. The trick is getting both of them there, and bases/growths indicate that Ephraim will have more HP than his sis on the way to maxed-out levels.

(how the heck does this relate to Hector?)

Edited by eclipse

The main game isn't played with all units at their absolute max everything. Eir starts out with quite a bit less HP/DEF than her brother, and that gap stays (he's got higher growths in both). She'll eventually beat him by about one point in RES by 20/20. The trick is getting both of them there, and bases/growths indicate that Ephraim will have more HP than his sis on the way to maxed-out levels.

(how the heck does this relate to Hector?)

True, she's got quite the disadvantage in that regard, but I wanted to present that capped scenario as well. I just kind of prefer the Skl and Spd side of things though, she might be able to maintain that at least... give or take a few boosts...

I honestly didn't intend to derail like that...

Edited by Soledai

The fact that he's a lord which is all but invincible. Most lords need babying or protection at some point. Not hector, just send Jim in and watch heads roll. Also, I think the characters are generally less powerful in this game than the next few, which makes Hector stick out more. Lords are unnecessary with Seth around...

Hector is honnestly a crutch character. He starts far better than the others (While Avo is far more imoportant in late game, being able to take hits is a blessing early on). It's promotion is however pretty late, and easily the worst of the three (Wait, he actually GAIN a weakness ? That's even worse than Roy's promo...).
Really usefull early to mid game, far less afterwards.

Eliwood suffers from Canas' syndrome, beacuse his growth and base are far too average. He's still the best lord and gains the most out of promotion (Horse and 1-2 Range access). He can becomes one of the best units of the game, but is too RNG reliant.

He's actually far better on Hector Mode ironically enough.

Lyn... is more of a late bloomer. Her High Avo, and Speed made her really great if you trained her correctly. Bow access and awesome promotion gain made her better. Shze can also become a good Mage killer wiith her good Res.

She may start weaker, but have a whole mode entirely dvoted to makes her grows.

I'd say she's overall the best, because Str issue asides, she do her job (pseudo myrmidon, then horseless Nomad Trooper) really well.

Hector promotion is pretty solid since it give him a bunch of stats in area where he might be lacking

Armor slaying weapon are meaningless in FE7. We're talking about extra 10 Damage TOPS at innacurate weapon that Hector have WTA on, and this is before considering that well.... Armor slaying weapon did not exist in the first place

Edited by JSND

Hector promotion is pretty solid since it give him a bunch of stats in area where he might be lacking

Armor slaying weapon are meaningless in FE7. We're talking about extra 10 Damage TOPS at innacurate weapon that Hector have WTA on, and this is before considering that well.... Armor slaying weapon did not exist in the first place

But compared to the other lords, and considering the late promotion, it's not enough.

He's not bad by any means, but the other lords are just better. Their promotions anyway.

5 move for a promoted units is pretty awfull. Waiting all this time for a unit who will be inferior to Oswin is pretty bad (If you use Oswin, he'll definitely will have some level ahead as a general, already).

(BTW, I'm pretty sure Lyn is the only one who can face the Final boss relyably with nothing more than an Angel Robe. She'll probably double it too... Eliwood can if it turns well, and Hector will always be doubled)

Edited by Totally Radical Judge