Fire Emblem: Multiplayer

Chudooder

When you're in a server, the Exit button doesn't seem to work: your name is removed from the list of people, but you're kept on that screen rather than being brought back to the starting screen.

Fixed for next release. It isn't too urgent, so we'll push it with the palette swapped battle sprites.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, FEPlanet/FETO admin and developer here.

I applaud you for your efforts! You've made quite the FE game!

I didn't catch it on the github, but do you have a license for your code?

Before I do anything with the code, I would like to know what rules I need to follow.

Either way, I will share any changes or derivative works I make, so everyone can benefit from it. o:

Also, would you mind if I forked this, and we combined efforts?

What I plan for, is to port the server code to PHP, host it on the feplanet servers, and set up matchmaking and such, through our site.

And, combining FETO with this, allowing for both an HTML5-based client, and a standalone client app, and eventually port it to Andoid.

We'll likely keep Classic FETO online for a while, though, this would be something new.

Your client would still be its own thing, since you can prototype out battles with it in a sandboxy way, and host your own small games.

Gonna go with GPL-3. Selling it probably isn't a good idea (read: horrible idea) since we don't want Nintendo on our ass; otherwise, you're free to do whatever as long as you keep it open source.

That being said, are you sure PHP is going to work for the game server? It would probably be easier to adapt our existing Java code to run on the servers, since our networking code relies pretty heavily on serializing objects.

Unfortunately, our host doesn't run Java.
It would take some moderate refactoring, and (if we want to use HTML5 and be more compatible) we'd have to replace the custom socket interface and port with a polling/Comet-style HTTP interface on port 80.
Since Java is so modular, though, the client wouldn't require as much rewriting, since we could continue to use the established protocols and such.

The client being rewritten to replace LWJGL with Canvas or WebGL, Java with Javascript and the UI with HTML5, will be the big challenge... in fact, it would just be rewriting the entire app.

First, though, I will make this an Android app, or at least attempt to. ;)
Whoa, scratch that :sweatdrop: it wouldn't run right now, even if I did build it.
Why does each instance take up 624MB of RAM? The application is under 20MB. Is Java really that inefficient? :huh:
My last experience with Java was debugging code for a robotics championship team, and embedded java has stringent memory requirements ;):

And I looked at the serialization stuff, and while it's best for a stream, if we could chop the stream up into little buffers and deserialize the data from the classes using PHP, it could work.

I know I should probably be commenting about these things through Github or something...

but I found something interesting. You can use https://code.google.com/p/json-io/ to serialize to JSON, which PHP actually understands. It's just a matter of the server code picking it apart as needed.

Edited by sirocyl

I know it's not a priority right now, but for characters going with direct average stats is likely a bad idea. You've obviously caught it for FE10, but between most games, the way stats are distributed (bases, growths, (caps if you implement them) tend to vary. This matters less for the GBA games, but if you're including FE9-10 characters, you might run into issues. My personal solution would be, stick to FE6-8 characters, but a good alternative would just be balancing characters aggressively. See what their strengths and weaknesses are and rebalance bases and growths to fit into that.

I know it's not a priority right now, but for characters going with direct average stats is likely a bad idea. You've obviously caught it for FE10, but between most games, the way stats are distributed (bases, growths, (caps if you implement them) tend to vary. This matters less for the GBA games, but if you're including FE9-10 characters, you might run into issues. My personal solution would be, stick to FE6-8 characters, but a good alternative would just be balancing characters aggressively. See what their strengths and weaknesses are and rebalance bases and growths to fit into that.

We probably will continue to use the fixed stat growths (otherwise you could level up/down ad infinitum), but we will definitely be balancing stats in the future. Once we have a stable game working (we're almost there :D). Also, at the moment all caps are at 35 (hp at 60), but that may change later (maybe class caps).

v0.4.2 is out! Palette swapping for battle sprites is now functional, and the game will use much less memory than before thanks to dynamic texture loading.

https://github.com/chudooder/FEMultiplayer/releases/tag/v0.4.2-beta

Hold on, gotta fix something

EDIT: Fixed. If you saw this message before I changed some stuff, please redownload.

Edited by Chudooder

So I did what Forte said, but I have yet to test it.
Though I have an idea. How about adding official servers? Because it's hard for me to find someone to play this with.

Official servers would be interesting and probably pretty helpful; however, at the moment the server can only support one game at once. Also, we don't have servers. :(

Are staffs working as intended? Recover doesn't heal all HP it seems, and Physic seems even more bugged. The first time I used it with a level 1 Artur on a Level 20 Ike it healed 5 (22 to 27) and the second time it did 0 (No Damage came up).

We're trying to track down an elusive bug that we think is related to HP desync between client and server. If you can reliably reproduce either:

- Staffs healing wrong HP or not healing past some random HP

- Units go below 0 HP and stay alive in battle

please let us know how you got it to happen and we'll try to fix it.

Are staffs working as intended? Recover doesn't heal all HP it seems, and Physic seems even more bugged. The first time I used it with a level 1 Artur on a Level 20 Ike it healed 5 (22 to 27) and the second time it did 0 (No Damage came up).

Do you, by chance, remember what happened in the battle previously? We suspect it has something to do with a server/client desync in hp, so we need to know what hp changes happened.

EDIT: We believe we know the cause of the issue. The desync was happening because our server code was not breaking weapons properly. Hopefully will be fixed by the next release.

Edited by jedyobidan

Hello !

First, I'd like to thank you because of that huge work you did. I think you must be the only person who has did a multiplayer FE ( even in beta ) like this. x)

But ( because there is always a but :( ), I was on enjoying it with a friend of mine, however, when I want to choose a weapon and "click" it, the game crashes... even in version 0.4.2...

So, if you have a fix, I would enjoy it. ^^

But ( because there is always a but :( ), I was on enjoying it with a friend of mine, however, when I want to choose a weapon and "click" it, the game crashes... even in version 0.4.2...

Can you describe the situation in which you chose the weapon? Were you in the shop/trading/selecting a weapon for battle/etc?

Also, if the game crashes you should get some error logs. They would be found in the same folder as the jar, called "error_log_client" or "error_log_server" followed by a bunch of numbers. Can you post the contents of those logs?

Edited by jedyobidan

Well, the situation is just like that :

When I try to buy a weapon, the game simply closes. It's not like the game is not responding, the game just shut down...

And the logs are the same, but they are displaying this :

java.lang.NullPointerException

at net.fe.overworldStage.InventoryMenu.onStep(InventoryMenu.java:34)

at net.fe.builderStage.UnitBuilderStage.onStep(UnitBuilderStage.java:177)

at.net.fe.FEMultiplayer.loop(FEMultiplayer.java:217)

at net.fe.FEMultiplayer.main(FEMultiplayer.java:67)

These logs are just created when I try to buy an item...

Other question : If my friend wants to join my server, she must copy the IP adress which is displayed ? Or this IP is just in the case of being playing with my brother in LAN, or in my house for example ?

She should copy the IP that I found with the web, isn't it ?

Because when she did, I cannot just see her in my server, so I just don't understand what's the problem...

Perhaps we must be in an Hamachi network ? I don't knoooow. ç_ç

Anyway, thank you because of the huge job you're doing, I hope I will make my game work, but you're really on a good project, continue this please ! :D

Edited by Finn

The displayed IP is only for if you're playing in your house (LAN). I'm not too sure how Hamachi will work with it, but I think you should use the IP Hamachi gives you. Otherwise you will have to port forward.

I thought I fixed that bug in the last release we did, but apparently not; sorry about that. Please be patient, we are working on our final beta version 0.5, which is stable. It should be out by this weekend.

Okay, thanks about the IP help. :D

And, it's nothing you know ^^, and I am really glad to bring a little help to your game which would just be awesome, if my fuckin' PC would be able to run it properly. ^^

I cannot wait anymooore, week-end pls, COOOME. :D

Also, when you would be no more in Beta version, are you planning to add new characters ? And new weapons ? ( Because I found quite weird that the Audhumla was in the sword weapons, without the Vidofnir in the spears. ^^ )

Also, when you would be no more in Beta version, are you planning to add new characters ? And new weapons ? ( Because I found quite weird that the Audhumla was in the sword weapons, without the Vidofnir in the spears. ^^ )

New characters will be forthcoming, particularly from Marth's and Ike's games. As far as weapons are concerned, there will probably not be many more; we can only have one regalia of each weapon type for balancing reasons, and we already have Gradivus (which is arguably better due to its 1-2 range).

Alright everyone, v0.5.0 is out now!

This will be our final beta release before v1.0.0, unless major game-breaking bugs are found. Please test for balancing, bugs (thought the game should be stable at this point), and whatever you can find.

https://github.com/chudooder/FEMultiplayer/releases/tag/v0.5.0-beta

v0.5.0 introduces a new pick mode to Fire Emblem Multiplayer: Draft Mode! Take turns picking and banning units in a contest of wit and strategy before equipping your team and launching into battle.

EdpRCDL.png

All right ! Cannot wait any longer !

You rocks dudes !

EDIT : HOLY CRUSADERS, the weapons problem with buying is fixed ! :D

Thanks for everything ! ^^

Edited by Finn

Thanks for the new version! Some friends and I have been playing it to see the balance changes. I agree with the Tana nerf because she was very OP before with her high avoid and Gradivus. But something that confuses me a bit is the Erk buff. Erk used to have 25 speed at level 20, but that's been increased to 30. With Excalibur, that gives him 35 speed. It seems confusing to me because it gives him permanent 1-2 range, enough speed to double nearly everybody in the game, and he hits res (which is generally lower than def). Also it seems to make the other Sages a bit worthless.

Baad neeews.

When my friend tries to connect to my server with the hamachi IP adress, she cannot connect...

But my brother can.

Edit : Said nothing, it was my shity computer which cannot connect.

Edited by Finn