Agarest: Generations of War

Wizard

I saw this fantasy strategy RPG thingamajig on Steam that looks quite good, but got mixed reviews from critics. It's called Agarest: Generations of War, and it looks a bit like FE. Here is a link to the Steam page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237890/

It's got 50% off right now, so now would be the time to get it unless you plan to wait for the summer sale.

So... Has anyone got this, or seen a review of it? If so, would you recommend it?

The first thing I asked myself when I saw the banner for that game on Steam was whether the girls in it forgot to finish dressing.

I haven't played it (and don't plan to), but I've read a number of reviews. The general consensus seems to be that it's an okay game if:

- You don't mind (or even enjoy) lots of pretty blatant sexual fanservice

- You don't mind lots of very repetitive battles (apparently neither the monsters nor the battlefields are very varied)

- You don't mind grinding.

Your call.

I happen to like the series, and I'm currently playing Zero on PS3. Some of the later battles are rage-worthy (in both games).

EDIT: And thanks for the heads-up on the sale~! I'm getting this NOW.

Edited by eclipse

My only problem with Agarest is how repetitive it can be, even though the battle system is quite fun. I heard the later games are better and more fluid with that.

Yep, it's repetitive (which is why I usually take a break every five battles or so to screw around on SF). Still a load of fun, and I really enjoy translating the spoken lines. I can go into some detail about it with certain characters, but the one with my favorite lines is a gigantic spoiler, so. . .

My only problem with Agarest is how repetitive it can be, even though the battle system is quite fun. I heard the later games are better and more fluid with that.

Yep, it's repetitive (which is why I usually take a break every five battles or so to screw around on SF). Still a load of fun, and I really enjoy translating the spoken lines. I can go into some detail about it with certain characters, but the one with my favorite lines is a gigantic spoiler, so. . .

I love the characters and the story, and the gameplay system is somewhat unique... But it does get really repetitive...

Eclipse knows all about how i feel with it from when I'm streaming Agarest. ><

Are Zero and Agarest 2 really that better? If so, I might really like Zero when they release it for Steam. My only problem so far with the game is the repetitive battle system (and I don't grind in it. If there are tough bosses, I use the dlc equipment and say 'screw it').

Zero has so much ecchi that it's NSFW just by looking at some characters' standard sprites (I will laugh if this grants me a warn), but I can take it, I guess.

Edited by Rapier

Are Zero and Agarest 2 really that better? If so, I might really like Zero when they release it for Steam. My only problem so far with the game is the repetitive battle system (and I don't grind in it. If there are tough bosses, I use the dlc equipment and say 'screw it').

Zero has so much ecchi that it's NSFW just by looking at some characters' standard sprites (I will laugh if this grants me a warn), but I can take it, I guess.

I've got Zero, and a lot has been tweaked. The battle system is largely the same, but there's a lot less generic battles between story points (until about halfway into the second generation, but at that point, you'll be grateful for them). If you're going for some of the extra stuff (titles), then backtracking will be required. The number of characters is drastically reduced, and replaying the game using clear data opens up Digest Mode (take Agarest, and condense it down to boss battles, certain love events, and story, with no say in the final bride). Some of the original Agarest weapons were removed (thank goodness), and there's a system that registers certain items to the shop without having to create them.

For more specifics. . .

[spoiler=Mechanical stuff]Get the level 2 elemental spells early, and learn which Arts have a radius greater than 1 (Aerial comes to mind, which is Fire + Storm). Some people have EX Skills that hit a wide area - Sieghart's Howling Storm is one, and it also reduces all stats, making it one of the best level 1 EX Skills, in my book. Once characters hit level 25, they unlock their second EX Skill. . .and this is where Galios shines. Pair Vortex Howl with either Cal-Vina or Alice's level 1 EX for a Water/Light field nuke which is good well into the second generation. Once you get Gravitation and Atomic Hole, combine them for Meltdown - a 2-radius Dark spell that lowers all stats, assuming your target(s) survived. As a Break Art, it'll deal two hits. Granted, it heals anything that absorbs Dark, but the stat reduction happens regardless. Other decent wide-radius spells are the ones where the three elemental magics of a line are combined (Thunderstorm is Thunder, Spark Shot, and Lightning, for example), and Angelic Howl (it deals both physical and magic damage, and IDGAF if it's 60 AP total, it bypasses Magic Barrier/Parry. . .unless it's a Miesha or something like that). The generic enemies like to clump together, so I'll wait until they've all formed a nice little ball, then unleash elemental hell on them. . .speaking of elemental hell, don't bother with Arc-En-Ciel, unless it's a Break Art, or you're dealing with something that absorbs, like, all other elements.

The secret albums in Zero are MUCH worse, IMO. I sure as hell won't warn you for a regular pic of Dana! Most of her alternate costumes look better than her casual wear. . .

EDIT: Just finished the main story of Zero. . .I'm quite pleased with it! Postgame, here I come~!

Edited by eclipse

I've got Zero, and a lot has been tweaked. The battle system is largely the same, but there's a lot less generic battles between story points (until about halfway into the second generation, but at that point, you'll be grateful for them). If you're going for some of the extra stuff (titles), then backtracking will be required. The number of characters is drastically reduced, and replaying the game using clear data opens up Digest Mode (take Agarest, and condense it down to boss battles, certain love events, and story, with no say in the final bride). Some of the original Agarest weapons were removed (thank goodness), and there's a system that registers certain items to the shop without having to create them.

The secret albums in Zero are MUCH worse, IMO. I sure as hell won't warn you for a regular pic of Dana! Most of her alternate costumes look better than her casual wear. . .

EDIT: Just finished the main story of Zero. . .I'm quite pleased with it! Postgame, here I come~!

... I wish I could just play Digest Mode as the first mode, since all the generic battles kind of suck, but I guess that's bad for a newcomer in the game as I won't have time to learn the basics before fighting bosses. It could've been applied to the first Agarest game as well...

Anyway, about the first game, I have the feeling that there are much less generic battles by the start of Generation 2 (two battles until Ladivus reaches the event title, two more until he reaches the boss event title). Maybe it gets less repetitive from there on?

The amount of ecchi in Zero makes me wonder how someone can play it in a TV, even more so if it is in the living room and said person lives with someone else (luckily, I play the Steam version, as I unluckly don't have a PS3/360). =P

Does Zero focus more on character interactions and events? That's something I found quite lacking in the first Agarest game (because I'm too used to Fire Emblem).

Edited by Rapier

Zero gives everyone a good deal more characterization (there's a couple of characters that fell flat on their face, though). It also tries to explain some of the things in the original Agarest, with better results than the Star Wars prequels. Some of the characters in Agarest are fairly well-done, though it takes a while before it becomes apparent.

The "genericness" of battles is inversely proportional to the variety of skills you have - more skills open up more arts. I try to rotate my characters on a regular basis, but I have a set boss-killing team, whose sole purpose is to go in and wreak havoc on everything.