What are humans like?

Nicolas

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World War 3, asteroid, Yellowstone blowing, to name a few. That last one we can do absolutely nothing about, too.

Some lab-super-disease getting loose, this may not do humans in, but it'll definitely screw things up for a long time.

Some lab-super-disease getting loose, this may not do humans in, but it'll definitely screw things up for a long time.

It is almost impossible that WWIII will happen. The other two wouldn't completely destroy humanity.

It seems that way now, but you can hardly make a guarantee that, across all of eternity, humans will never reach the point where a WW3 is possible. The others wouldn't annihilate us (probably, a sufficiently large asteroid could, along with other lurking threats in outer space), but they'd sure do a number on humanity.

It seems that way now, but you can hardly make a guarantee that, across all of eternity, humans will never reach the point where a WW3 is possible. The others wouldn't annihilate us (probably, a sufficiently large asteroid could, along with other lurking threats in outer space), but they'd sure do a number on humanity.

Yes, but they will do much more to animals. If something like this comes up, humans have an advantage over animals in that we would know about it beforehand, giving us time to evacuate. While you are probably right about WWIII, I was talking about right now.

Yes, but they will do much more to animals. If something like this comes up, humans have an advantage over animals in that we would know about it beforehand, giving us time to evacuate. While you are probably right about WWIII, I was talking about right now.

evacuate to where? if you are talking about 'right now,' then i'm afraid to report that no nation has the capability of evacuating its people from the planet. one cannot evacuate from a global natural disaster otherwise.

evacuate to where? if you are talking about 'right now,' then i'm afraid to report that no nation has the capability of evacuating its people from the planet. one cannot evacuate from a global natural disaster otherwise.

The eruption of Yellowstone would leave the Americas uninhabitable, sure, but we could evacuate to Europe and Asia. Even though many people would die, civilization would go on. As I said before, humans are the best equipped to survive this kind of thing.

The eruption of Yellowstone would leave the Americas uninhabitable, sure, but we could evacuate to Europe and Asia. Even though many people would die, civilization would go on. As I said before, humans are the best equipped to survive this kind of thing.

The eruption of Yellowstone would have global consequences iirc. Something about the massive amount of ashes getting spread around the world and partially blocking the sunlight if I'm not wrong.

Uh. . .no. See, when a volcano of that magnitude erupts, it'll do more than just spew lava on the associated continent. Here's one of the side effects, and that eruption was on a much smaller scale than what Yellowstone is predicted to do once it blows.

Simply wiping out huge portions of NA would be catastrophic for the world economy, too, before you deal with the world being plunged into a mini ice age.

The crashing of an economy is not going to be death knell for humanity, even paired with a catastrophic change in environment. An ice age? We survived such an event as cave-men with much fewer numbers, arguing that we could not capably respond to such an event with modern technology is absurd. It would require a global event of a much more serious variety for humanity to be truly threatened, and it would need to be suitably fast that mankind lacked the time to properly adapt.

forgot to reply to these

he said more than just that:

implying that environment was not a challenge.

it appears so. sorry, i misread his post.

While I'm not well-versed in the actual science of nuclear fusion like most people, I've read some pretty interesting articles that are excited about recent experiments in which scientists were capable of receiving more energy in output than input in a fusion reaction.

Now where's my damn flying car :S

if you know of any, would you mind linking some? this sounds pretty interesting. especially the 'getting more energy in output from input' bit.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I know. The eruption would be catastrophic. All I am saying is that humanity has the best shot of recovery from something like this.

i'm saying that you're most definitely incorrect. all sorts of microfauna and insects are more likely to survive anything catastrophic than humanity is currently capable of.

i'm saying that you're most definitely incorrect. all sorts of microfauna and insects are more likely to survive anything catastrophic than humanity is currently capable of.

But insects will never reach our level of advancement.

You'll never know when mutant insects will arise.

Insects don't need to reach our level of advancement, they're pretty advanced in their own right if not more so than us. Ant colonies for instance where thousands of ants are constantly maintaining their colony and fetching provisions communicate with other with pheromones to tell each other who does what to make sure everything is goes smoothly in-midst the chaos. In fact, there is an algorithm based on their brilliance.

You'll never know when mutant insects will arise.

Insects don't need to reach our level of advancement, they're pretty advanced in their own right if not more so than us. Ant colonies for instance where thousands of ants are constantly maintaining their colony and fetching provisions communicate with other with pheromones to tell each other who does what to make sure everything is goes smoothly in-midst the chaos. In fact, there is an algorithm based on their brilliance.

But they do not have our free will.

How the hell do you people keep going on with this senseless bickering?

Seriously. As a rule, micro-organism species can only function in a very limited range of conditions. It's why acid rain was(and still is) the problem it was. Soil conditions shift out of viable range, everything in it goes extinct, plants lose their nutrients and go extinct, etc. As long there is no short-term replacement for the extinct species(negligent chance there is), all the rest of life has a serious problem. A global cataclysmic event would doom all life, so why the hell are you people even spouting the nonsense you are, anyway?

We are selfish but there are many types of selfishness:

a good selfish doctor wants to help others to selfishly enjoy his job through good suggestions of alternative methods to cure

a bad selfish doctor wants to oomph down others to selfishly enjoy the money he earns by prescribing useless medications

But they do not have our free will.

How does free will make us objectively superior to ants? If anything, the lack of free will in individual members of the bug colonies allow them to perform way better as a single super-organism than if they all did pursued their own agenda.