ITT: post an embarrassing fact about yourself

Nobody

I've got quite a few.
I used to refer to dragon laguz as manaketes.
My favorite dinosaur(Archaeopteryx)is usually considered a bird.
I defend Justin Bieber because it's the Christian thing to do.
I think that Minecraft is extremely boring, and also 3D Zelda games to a lesser extent.

I can't think up anything very embarrassing.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got drunk with my work colleagues on friday. all of them being middle aged women

edit: a lot of these posts aren't even that embarrassing. you guys don't know the meaning of that word

Edited by Aizenberg

Did you play it cool like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty

I imagine you're the kind of person who can play it cool like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty, I have faith in you

it was my mother

"fuck's sake, knock, will you?" to which she replied "oh" and promptly left

this was during the days before i went to university

i miss university

in case i forgot to mention already, she didn't knock before entering my bedroom. it wasn't long after this i installed a lock.

Edited by Raven

I've secretly always wanted to take voice lessons and take a stab at doing VA type stuff, but you know; introversion, aimless teenage dreams, pay the rent, yadda yadda

Before I look like an ungrateful little brat, I mean I WILL have to pay rent, and unless people want to pay me to do VA work, it wouldn't work out

Edited by Spiky

I've secretly always wanted to take voice lessons and take a stab at doing VA type stuff, but you know; introversion, aimless teenage dreams, pay the rent, yadda yadda

Before I look like an ungrateful little brat, I mean I WILL have to pay rent, and unless people want to pay me to do VA work, it wouldn't work out

Why not stage acting? I can only imagine it would be easier to get; making the wild assumption that New York has the same facilities as Southside Canberra.

Why not stage acting? I can only imagine it would be easier to get; making the wild assumption that New York has the same facilities as Southside Canberra.

I myself don't enjoy the idea of stage acting, I don't like people seeing that I'm saying something and being disappointed at what I look like versus what I sound like. That and I'm terrified of public speaking, I just don't do well with people looking at me while I talk, I know it's a little lame, but I just can't manage. I've always felt through just voice work, it'd be a medium I could work with where people wouldn't necessarily see my face unless they went out of their way to do so, it feels less like everyones' eyes are on me, so I felt like I could do it more successfully. But well, economy, and if I really wanted to do it, I should've started as a younger kid so I'd have had more practice or at least learned the basics at an age they'd have stuck with me. I really do appreciate the idea, I just don't think I could overcome a crippling fear of public speaking, much less turn it into something useful like live acting

You want to chase your dream of voice-acting, you're going to need experience somehow. Such as through theatre courses, available at I assume almost all state schools (you're sixteen, so unless you dropped out then that should still be an option). As long as you put in the work the actors around you are going to be supportive, and help you learn from them. There's no way to outgrow that sort of thing without doing it.

I've always wanted to donate blood but I never could after I was labeled an msm for having sex with my best friend in high school.

What does msm mean?

There was a small phase when people kept poking me in my sides because it would make me flip out (sorta like being ticklish) and they thought it was hilarious until someone ended up on the floor after they poked me. (completely reactionary)

When I was really young (4-6) and my siblings did something I didn't like, I would take all of my pants off and yell: "I WIGGLE MY WEINOW AT YOU!" I'm still embarrased about it to this day.

I wanna high five the hell out of you for making me laugh so hard.

When I was in kindergarten my parents bought me Sonic the Hedgehog underwear. I was so excited that in the lunch room, which was full of people, I yelled out to my teacher and pulled my pants down to show her the glory of my amazing underpants.

I was a unique child.

Thanks for the support, maybe I will give it a fair try before it gets to be too late. Worst come to worst; I've got stuff I can run along the side so there's no serious reprocussions, who knows though, it could work out.

I've heard of not a couple relatively well-known voice actors who got into it after having been (or even while also being) theatre actors, myself. On the thing's face, it seems to me like they'd make a lot of sense to learn together.

And I have similar worries about both things like acting and other creative outlets, too, among other things I wish I'd gotten into years ago, but at its heart, it's just another set of skills that you can build up the same way you can do with anything else. There are plenty of people who've met with success at it who started much later than you'd be doing now and beyond, and it's not like they all shared the same personality type, or even the same level of extraversion/introversion/comfort speaking in public (which is another thing that has a skillset you can build up, for the record).

You wouldn't be the first person to start from the bottom, anyway!

e: half a page in between last seen post and hitting post on this, just desserts etc

Edited by Rehab

Thanks for the support, maybe I will give it a fair try before it gets to be too late. Worst come to worst; I've got stuff I can run along the side so there's no serious reprocussions, who knows though, it could work out.

As someone who does a ton of theatre, it's better to come into it being shy than "cool." It's all about vulnerability and being able to put yourself forward. It might be hard for you to do that, but it's better than being someone who puts a fake self forwards. Also, there's definitely a big difference between stage acting and public speaking. I don't get very nervous before performing. I get very nervous about public speaking.

As far as how much theatre can help you, I can't say for sure what you'd get in your situation, but for me voice has been a huge component of my education. I would expect that to be valuable for going into voice acting, although of course I can't say for sure.

I've heard of not a couple relatively well-known voice actors who got into it after having been (or even while also being) theatre actors, myself. On the thing's face, it seems to me like it they make a lot of sense to learn together.

And I have similar worries about both things like acting, too, among other things I wish I'd gotten into years ago, but at its heart, it's just another set of skills that you can build up the same way you can do with anything else. There are plenty of people who've met with success at it who started much later than you'd be doing now and beyond, and it's not like they all shared the same personality type, or even the same level of extraversion/introversion/comfort speaking in public (which is another thing that has a skillset you can build up, for the record).

You wouldn't be the first person to start from the bottom, anyway!

e: half a page in between last seen post and hitting post on this, just desserts etc

Admittedly, it definitely seems like it'd only do me good at this rate. I haven't had to choose classes for next year just yet, and since I can finally stop with foreign language, it might be a perfect chance to step outside the good old comfort zone. I totally appreciate the encouragement by the way, I know I can be a bit of a snob sometimes and it probably doesn't mean terribl y much coming from me; but thank you :)

As someone who does a ton of theatre, it's better to come into it being shy than "cool." It's all about vulnerability and being able to put yourself forward. It might be hard for you to do that, but it's better than being someone who puts a fake self forwards. Also, there's definitely a big difference between stage acting and public speaking. I don't get very nervous before performing. I get very nervous about public speaking.

As far as how much theatre can help you, I can't say for sure what you'd get in your situation, but for me voice has been a huge component of my education. I would expect that to be valuable for going into voice acting, although of course I can't say for sure.

I didn't mean to lump public speaking with acting, my apologies for that, the idea of all the eyes on me just causes me to stick them together.

I don't necessarily want to come off as cool, in all honesty, I'd love to be myself, it's just once again this fear of people I have. Part of me just isn't willing to trust everyone with who I really am, out of fear of just about anything that my paranoid mind could come up with. I know I should have faith in people, I know that likeminded people look past each other's faults, but I've never been willing to put who I am deep down out there, just what people would be willing to glance over at and not be absolutely appalled by. Wow, I am absolutely spewing all over the place, sorry all XD

Thanks for all the support, it's been a real eye-opener to all that I might be able to do, gonna put some work in to keep it from being just another pipe dream or one of those "I'm gonna be a firefighter on the moon" deals, here's to it :D

Before I stop ranting, Damnit Stoly, I knew someone was going to go there XD

I didn't mean to lump public speaking with acting, my apologies for that,

Oh, no apologies necessary. I just meant that you might not find the stage as nerve-wracking as you might think. Although I guess that depends a lot on the people you're with. My theatre crew is not at all judgmental and we are always very uninhibited around each other, so that's a big part of it not being scary. If you were to find yourself within a weird preppy group or something, things might not go so well.