TPP Proves That The World Needs A Pokemon MMO

Loki Laufeyson

So like im reading up on whats been going down with the Twitch Plays Pokemanz thing. The memes are getting stale, but the whole idea around it is pretty cool. And some skype friends were talking about FF14 and stuff. So i got to thinking, wait a sec, why doesnt Nintendo make a full blown Pokemon MMO? Like a real one. Either on a console or on a PC. And people can create their own Pokemanz Religions and stuff. The whole Webz is really enjoying the TPP in some form. Nintendo should capitalize on the idea of MMO Pokemanz.

A Pokemon MMO would draw a huge userbase and that, in a sense, may be the problem; Pokemon battles with friends are fun, but you must also consider that putting both the casual community and the hardcore tournament level power-gamers together might not be the greatest idea. The barrier between the two is negligible in a single-player game, but I can see a whole lot of rage coming out of that...

The whole Webz is really enjoying the TPP in some form.

Speak for yourself :( TPP takes up so much room on the chat servers... none of the other Twitch streams had functioning chat for a week, and some still don't. Not to mention the random stream crashes...

A Pokemon MMO would draw a huge userbase and that, in a sense, may be the problem; Pokemon battles with friends are fun, but you must also consider that putting both the casual community and the hardcore tournament level power-gamers together might not be the greatest idea. The barrier between the two is negligible in a single-player game, but I can see a whole lot of rage coming out of that...

Speak for yourself :( TPP takes up so much room on the chat servers... none of the other Twitch streams had functioning chat for a week, and some still don't. Not to mention the random stream crashes...

I havent even watched the streams. I just collect data from the left overs and lurk threads. /huehuehue

Casuals vs Hardcore? lmao dude. Im pretty sure that would sort itself out. That comes with nearly every MMO.

[spoiler=Obligatory pic]5f853f6bf3cf7d223517a110bd3890a6-the-pro

That said, pokemon X/Y's online is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if the gen VII games had many MMO elements.

Yeah someone in skype posted that. Pewr Charmander. I still think a Pokemanz MMO would rock some nuts.

[spoiler=Obligatory pic]5f853f6bf3cf7d223517a110bd3890a6-the-pro

That said, pokemon X/Y's online is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if the gen VII games had many MMO elements.

Maybe there should be more ways than battling to gain money. Like breeding or growing berries.

Edited by Naughx

Isn't there an unofficial Pokémon MMO that uses Fire Red as a basis or something?

I would like one myself, but I don't think Nintendo would ever do one. Imagine the amount of money they'd have to pour into it. I think only a minority of the fan base want it, so from a business standpoint, I can see why they won't make one

A virtual reality Pokémon game on the other hand...

Isn't there an unofficial Pokémon MMO that uses Fire Red as a basis or something?

I would like one myself, but I don't think Nintendo would ever do one. Imagine the amount of money they'd have to pour into it. I think only a minority of the fan base want it, so from a business standpoint, I can see why they won't make one

A virtual reality Pokémon game on the other hand...

There IS. I have an account and its somewhat very decent.

There are a few problems though,

I've thought about this a few times, and if it ever happened I'd definitely go for it! Sadly, this doesn't seem like the kind of thing Nintendo would do, even if I personally think the player base would be all for it; if they can manage to make a real full-length console game first (not counting Colliseum or XD; I mean the full traditional formula), I feel like that would one good step in the right direction for this...

Maybe there should be more ways than battling to gain money. Like breeding or growing berries.

I suppose there must be NPC trainers for you to fight, since you can't be expected to win all of your fights against player trainers. Most MMOs that I've played usually have PvsE (player vs environment) systems like this when you're starting out so you can work your way up to the essentially harder PvsP (player vs player) if you so choose, so that you're not always out of money if you're not the best battler. I personally think PvP should always be a choice and not mandatory for the player like in the handheld games. But yeah, I could see being able to potentially sell berries and items to others (I'm not quite sure about pokemon...)

(I'm not quite sure about pokemon...)

But you could become like the Magikarp salesman and convince people to pay a ridiculous price for your ultra-rare fish.

I remember reading an interview with the director of the pokemon games and he seemed pretty opposed to a MMO. One thing to also keep in mind is that Nintendo has always been extremely strict regarding online interactions, which really reduce the chance of a game where tons of them happen of being published by Nintendo(also pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to create your 'Cult of the Helix' in it if it were ever to see the light of day).

Not to say that a Pokemon MMO wouldn't be cool, just that it seems extremely unlikely it will happen.

The makers of Pokemon have pretty blatantly said that they're never making a Pokemon MMO. Because such a large portion of their playerbase is really young, they want Pokemon games to be something you can buy once and have everything, not something kids have to continually pay into monthly/yearly to keep playing. Which I think is pretty reasonable.