So Nintendo Is Taking Down Wi-Fi Connection..

Icarusu

Ffff... there goes my plan of making a perfect FE11 or FE12 team with the online shop.

Also, I think I'll move this to Other Games or General just so people don't miss it.

Ah Thank You.

I kinda liked the Wi-Fi service and that's going to be a big problem since the Wii games and Nintendo DS games did have backward compatibility for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS system and I do use the Wi-Fi Service for the such as Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the Online shop, WarioWare D.I.Y. series for the Microgames, Mario vs. Donkey Kong series for the levels, and Pokemon series for the Trading.

Edited by Volcanion

Does this mean that I can't watch Netflix or YouTube on my Wii anymore, or just that WFC is going down?

I'm pretty sure that all of them except the Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop (which its mentioned) are going to be deactivated.

I'm pretty sure that all of them except the Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop (which its mentioned) are going to be deactivated.

The Wii and DSi shops are going to be deactivated. Now that that's out of the way, I'm worried about the Homebrew Browser in the Homebrew Channel.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

The Wii and DSi shops are going to be deactivated. Now that that's out of the way, I'm worried about the Homebrew Browser in the Homebrew Channel.

No, they mentioned Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop aren't going to be deactivated along with the others games.

It said here:

Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games on Nintendo 3DS family systems). Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that it saids video-on-demand service like Netflix is not included to be deactivated.

Edited by Volcanion

No, they mentioned Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop aren't going to be deactivated along with the others games.It said here: Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that it saids video-on-demand service like Netflix is not included to be deactivated.

So, I guess I have nothing to worry about.

Welcome to consoles, people. When a new generation of consoles comes out, support for the previous generation will eventually be discontinued.

The same happens to PC games as well (as all of my MS-DOS games gathering dust testify to).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

So leaderboards are gone... This is really bad news for Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, as trying to get high scores is half the fun of that game.

Where will my highscores go?

Pretty ridiculous imo, they're shutting it down way too early. Not only has it not been that long since the last ds/wii games were made (are they still making them?), but wii/ds games are backwards compatible on the wii u and 3ds, too. The 360 was out for roughly five years before original live went down, and even that only had limited backwards compatability for xbox games. The 3ds is 3 years, and the wii u is at a whopping one and a half. From a profit perspective, I doubt this will do the wii u any favors either.

Should have kept it up for at least two more years.

From a profit perspective, I doubt this will do the wii u any favors either.

Actually, this might be GREAT from a profit perspective. After all, why bother buying used games if they no longer have online? Single player games are fine, but if you want online multiplayer/leaderboards, you gotta go next-gen. Of course, this brings up the issue of the WiiU's own online inevitably getting shut down at some point.

Seriously, though, where will my highscores go? They weren't easy to acquire!

On the other side of the coin, it eliminates some incentive to buy a Wii U. So now not only do you get a (probably temporarily if the 3ds is any indicator) lackluster category of Wii U games to go with your shiny console, but now you can't play your older online wii games on said investment. I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who bought a 3ds early partly because online DS Pokemons was possible on it.

Edited by Constable Reggie