an oft-forgotten fact amidst complaints of FE6's weapon hit

dondon151

FE6 weapons are on the left; FE7 weapons are on the right

k3Le6Su.png

there are 6 weapons in FE6 that have higher hit than their FE7 counterparts, all of which except the horseslayer are among the most important weapons in the game.

just something to think about the next time you want to complain about FE6 hit rates.

the thing is if the fe7 weapons in the chart were in fe6, people would hardly notice since its only a 5 hit difference in all cases compared to 10-15 hit for most of the other, more commonly used weapons (well the lances and axes anyway)

Edited by General Horace

I don't dislike FE6's hit rates, but from what I've seen, the biggest complaints are aimed at the axes.

There's also the fact that those weapons aren't the most common in the game.

Edited by Nobody

Axes in FE6 generally have like a 10 hit difference compared to FE7. Another problem is that enemy stats are a little higher in general too, and throne defense is kinda cray cray. I guess this all builds up to hit being fairly shaky.

Killer weapons aren´t common until the mid game. You are using iron weapons or even steel and javelins/handaxes until then. Have fun with them.

I admit that the Horseslayer and the Brave Bow surprised me, though.

I personally only complain about axe hit rates because yeah.

I actually don't "complain", I just happen to think they are low. This is kind of mitigated, because FE6 axe users tend to have high HP and DEF or high SKL. This only hurts LTC I suppose and Gonzo.

Edited by Rah

the thing is if the fe7 weapons in the chart were in fe6, people would hardly notice since its only a 5 hit difference in all cases compared to 10-15 hit for most of the other, more commonly used weapons (well the lances and axes anyway)

this is not entirely true.

• silver sword / blade / bow have a -5 hit difference in FE6.
  • among other weapons, iron sword / blade / bow, steel sword / bow, and wyrmslayer also have a -5 hit difference.
  • light brand, wo dao, killer axe, brave lance, thunder, nosferatu, among others have no difference.
  • lancereaver and fire also have +5 hit, which i forgot to include, but the lancereaver is kind of useless and fire is bleh.
  • bolting has a +10 hit difference in FE6.

additionally, 5 hit is a big difference when displayed hit rates are in the 70s-80s. going from 78 to 83 hit almost cuts in half your chance of missing any given attack.

Killer weapons aren´t common until the mid game. You are using iron weapons or even steel and javelins/handaxes until then. Have fun with them.

javelins and hand axes are actually just bad in FE6 for reasons other than poor hit and should be used sparingly (unless you're killing soldiers with hand axes, in which case, go nuts). from chapter 14 onwards, killer weapons are actually the best accessible weapon all the way up until the endgame.

the point of this topic is to show that FE6's hit problems can be more attributed to the existence of enemy luk (here is where a difference of 5-10 hit proves significant) and the +10 avo difference conferred by gates and thrones. it should actually be pointed out that FE8 gates and thrones are just as bad as FE6 gates and thrones.

Edited by dondon151

In Fe8's case, the higher terrain bonuses are mitigated by powerful and accurate effective weapons (Reginleif vs. Tirado, Orson for example), most bosses possessing little speed or luck, or their just not sitting on thrones/gates; the only annoying bosses to wear down are Vigarde, and Carlyle without a Swordslayer.

The worst part in 6 hitrates wise is the earlygame, where most weapons aren't powerful and accurate enough - behold Hammers with their wondrous 45 hit, player units outside Marcus have middling skill (Lugh has acceptable hit but is let down by low magic), and many bosses are far ahead of the curve defensively. Leygance and Henning are really awful for when you fight them, but after that bosses are more or less reasonable to fight. Gel comes close, but he's mostly toothless and doesn't have quite as much avoid compared to your hit as Henning does.

Edited by Vennobennu

I don't complain about FE6 hit rates too much because they do help to balance out swords/lances/axes better than the other GBA titles and the Tellius titles where there is a pretty clear axe>lance>sword>bow hierarchy.

I don't complain about FE6 hit rates too much because they do help to balance out swords/lances/axes better than the other GBA titles and the Tellius titles where there is a pretty clear axe>lance>sword>bow hierarchy.

And instead it's a pretty clear sword>lance>axe/bow.

Let's not forget FE6 enemies tend to have some Luck which is further boosted by Hard mode bonuses, while most FE7 enemies have neither a Luck stat nor a Luck growth, which does contibute in getting hit and missing more often. Classes such as Bishops, Snipers and Pegasus/Falcoknights will tend to have a better Luck stat overall due to higher growths (30%+, easily a base of 6 for promoted units, while Hard mode bonuses give an easy +2-+4 depending on how far you are). FE8 enemies only have Luck stats if they're human I think? And even then, not nearly as much.

And there's the lack of an S rank accuracy bonus too somewhat.

Edited by Woodshooter

It may change the target of the complaints, but the problem people have hasn't changed. I don't think everyone complains about the weapon hit specifically anyway, just hit rates in general, since people often cite the huge throne boosts.

from chapter 14 onwards, killer weapons are actually the best accessible weapon all the way up until the endgame.

This may be technically true, but most players probably aren't handing out killer weapons to every unit on their team, regardless of whether or not they should.

Axes in FE6 generally have like a 10 hit difference compared to FE7. Another problem is that enemy stats are a little higher in general too, and throne defense is kinda cray cray. I guess this all builds up to hit being fairly shaky.

The throne bonuses are the same as the FE8 ones though, iirc.

FE6's accuracy issues are the results of many factors. Weapon hit is not the least of them; there may be several weapons with the same or more hit, but most lances and axes have a significant hit differential in FE6.

Most of the complaints about hit concern the users of these weapons; since sword and bow users have more accurate weapons and better skill in general, you don't have hit troubles with them. I think this is a good thing; lances and axes have range and power, reliability is a fair tradeoff. In the later games when swords/bows accuracy is overkill, being locked to one or both is a serious detriment.

I fail to see how that's the case when swords clearly trump lances and axes. For [EFF]'s sake, most axes have less than 60 hit! What's more, most axers don't have the skill buffer to counteract the low hit rates their weapons have. Which means the Brave Axe, which'd otherwise have some use, is good for breaking walls and not much else.

Edited by Levant Caprice

The only good hit rates tend to be swords with WTA against axes (yes, I consider anything under 90 to be not good). Well, I think Marcus can pull some 100s with iron axe against soldiers, or mid 90s at least.

i actually still find hit rates with sword and bow users to be infuriating

They're not as bad as others at least. Though even my 24 Skl Rutger does this vs low spd enemies.

49Rutger_zps8bdf63c0.png

It's kind of absurd. Anima is like the only thing that reliably reaches 90+ Hit, but the mages are shaky (Lugh) to bad (Lilina) as usual.

The only good hit rates tend to be swords with WTA against axes (yes, I consider anything under 90 to be not good). Well, I think Marcus can pull some 100s with iron axe against soldiers, or mid 90s at least.

short of marcus and seth in FE7 and FE8 earlygame, respectively, I don't think that i ever get 90+ hit rates in any fire emblem game.

short of marcus and seth in FE7 and FE8 earlygame, respectively, I don't think that i ever get 90+ hit rates in any fire emblem game.

You play 0% growths, though. And when you don't, you go fast enough nobody ever grows skill. I use characters that get good hit and I rout nearly every map, so it's rare I don't get 90+ hit.

Edited by Narga_Rocks