King5.com - "Study: Tech terms can be confusing for Americans"

True story, bro:

A recent study by a coupon website found tech jargon -- such as HTML and SEO -- can be confusing for Americans, according to the L.A. Times, even though over 60 percent of respondents said having a good knowledge of technology is important.

The results from the study conducted by Vouchercloud.net included some amusing findings.

Among them:
- About 1 in 10 Americans think "HTML" is a sexually transmitted disease (It's actually the language used to build websites)
- 27 percent of respondents identified "gigabyte" as an insect often found in South American (It's actually a measurement unit for digital storage capacity)
- 23 percent thought MP3 (an audio file) was a robot from Star Wars
- 12 percent identified USB as an acronym for a European country (it's a type of connector)
- 15 percent said "software" referred to comfortable clothing (it's a term for computer programs)
- 42 percent believe "motherboard" was the "deck of a cruise ship" (it's actually the circuit board that holds many key computer components)
- 18 percent labeled "Blu-ray" as a marine animal (it's a disc format for high-definition videos)
- More than 3/4ths could not select what SEO means (it stands for Search-Engine Optimization)

Survey respondents included 2,392 men and women 18 years or older. They were asked to choose a definition for tech and non-tech terms from three choices.

I do believe tech terms are tech terms since the majority of humans don't understand it or just grasp the basics of it :/ . Like sphere is not a tech term since it is understood by virtually everybody unlike to say "myocardial infarction", which means heart attack.

-

I miss read it, they mean technology terminology not technical terminology. Same principle applies to what I said though.

Yeah SEO was the one I didn't know...

Also just because they think it's important to have that knowledge doesn't mean they claim to actually have that knowledge yet ^o^

also i'm trying to figure out in what universe 73-90% is a bad average

which everything except motherboard, which is hardware nobody will muck with most of the time and seo, which is bullshit falls into

WTF is SEO?

I like writing script in python and enjoy using new technologies, but I have never heared about SEO.

And most people just don't get math, physic and computers. Not only in USA.

Edited by Nicolas

The solution is obviously to gush about it to people who don't get it, and then maybe they will

Coupon websites attract not-tech-savvy people - News at 11.

I should've expanded on this. Anyone who remotely knows what kinds of shit these types of sites will dump on your computer are sure as fuck not going to visit it, let alone TAKE A SURVEY. These are usually the tech-savvy people. Thus, this is a self-selected group of people who probably aren't IT wizards - the fact that they got that many RIGHT is pretty good.