The Class-Tiering Thread: Postgame

BANRYU

Hey guys, I was exploring the FE13 Subforum and I didn't really see any threads that specifically delve into which classes are the most useful in Awakening, so I thought I'd make one just for that purpose. The idea of this thread is to sort the classes for how useful they're generally considered to be for the postgame metagame-- namely spotpass challenges and challenge maps like Apotheosis. This refers more generally to which classes are the most useful to reclass into, regardless of the character. (Assume all DLC content available.) I'll keep track of more or less what the general consensus is in the OP for reference to anyone looking for like a general classing / strategy guide.

S-Rank: Top of the line, second to none.

- Sage

[s / A Limbo]

- Darkflier

A-Rank: The best units with the most essential qualities required for success in the postgame.

- Valkyrie

- Falcoknight

- Hero

- Dancer

B-Rank: Very strong units that typically act as good filler. May be interchangeable with one another or some A-rank units.

- Berserker

- Paladin

- Sniper

- Assassin

- Dreadfighter

- Bride

C-Rank: Strong units with unique niches, though these roles are usually overshadowed by more powerful units.

- Wyvern Lord

- Sorcerer

- Dark Knight

- Greatlord

- Grandmaster

- Manakete

D-Rank: Units that are usable, but mostly outclassed by other units. Not bad, but typically not worth a team slot.

- Bow Knight

- Warrior

- General

- Great Knight

- Griffon Rider

- Swordmaster

- Trickster

- War Monk

E-Rank: Bottom-of-the-barrel units that have no practical use or application in competitive settings.

- Villager

- Taguel

- Lodestar

General Conduct: For discussion purposes, try to stick to discussing one or a few units at a time. While completed, the list may still be subject to change if enough substantial evidence for the change is offered up.
**When discussing a unit, don't forget to mention which tier you think it belongs in.**
Edited by BANRYU

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taguel, Dark Knight, Bow Knight, Trickster and Warrior aren't that good postgame tbh. Nor grifforn riders.

Sage, Dread Fighter, Dark Flier and perhaps Sorcerer should be top tier though.

You shouldn't really count Conqueror and Lodestar.

Edited by tuvarkz

(So as far as the postgame tiers go, I don't know a lot about this particular metagame, and there were some things that I wanted to clarify for myself… Firstly, I know that classes like Berserkers, Sages, and Darkfliers are generally considered to be the best and stuff, with competing classes like Warriors considered not as good by comparison.)

@ tuvarkz: I figured as much about Taguels/Bow Knights/Warriors/Tricksters/Griffons and presumably War Monks/Clerics as well, but why are Dark Knights not considered to be good? I've seen a few sources that consider the DK to be a good reclass for Nah, if no one else, and I figured the ability to use Anima is useful at least.

I'm guessing these guys are considered bad for being too generalized with their stats? That seems to be the common thread.

Also, I'm not doubting/disputing this, but why shouldn't the Lodestar/Conquerer classes be included? (for curiosity's sake if nothing else; guessing it has something to do with breedability)

Also, are Dreadfighter and Bride considered viable classes for postgame? I've seen a few mentions of the DF in the Pairing thread, but I've never once seen anyone mention the Bride, when it actually seems like a fairly useful class-- Brave Lances/Bows + Rescue Staves and such. I realize it's not as straightforwardly strong as the Sage, but is it not viable at all?

I think that's all the questions I have for now. (in the meantime I'm continuing to dig my way through the Pairing Thread)

EDIT:

* * Added Sage/Darkflier to high tier and Bow Knight/Warrior/Trickster/Griffon/Taguel/Conquerer/Lodestar to low tier * *

Edited by BANRYU

Tactician alone in High tier for in game, with Dark Flier alone in the next tier down. Veteran is just too good, and Galeforce is only slightly behind.

Maybe Tactician should get its own 'Top Tier', but I don't think there's really a reason to disclude everything else from High Tier just for the reason that the Tactician is the best. We're looking for reasonable distribution in each, ideally.

Maybe Tactician should get its own 'Top Tier', but I don't think there's really a reason to disclude everything else from High Tier just for the reason that the Tactician is the best. We're looking for reasonable distribution in each, ideally.

This is the most reasonable distribution in each. Those two classes are just that much better thanks to their skills. If we're talking about beating the game with minimal risk, then I think Dark Mage/Sorc might well get up there as well, but ehh.

This is the most reasonable distribution in each. Those two classes are just that much better thanks to their skills. If we're talking about beating the game with minimal risk, then I think Dark Mage/Sorc might well get up there as well, but ehh.

Allright, if you say so. Adding a top tier for Tactician with the assumption that people generally agree with this.

Dark Knight is meh due to low speed cap, and added weakness to Horses. Tactician/Grandmaster ain't that good though, though. Dread Fighter outclasses for males unless magic-focused (and then you should be using a Sage anyways), while either Bride or Dark Flier outclass for females. Tactician is probably mid tier, with Bride being mid-to-high, and Dread Fighter high tier definitively.

Snipers are mid-to-high in postgame (Longbows f* up those Invisorcs, esp with Luna+Galeforce and a spd modifier of at least +2), while mid-to-low in the storyline.

Dark Knight is meh due to low speed cap, and added weakness to Horses. Tactician/Grandmaster ain't that good though, though. Dread Fighter outclasses for males unless magic-focused (and then you should be using a Sage anyways), while either Bride or Dark Flier outclass for females. Tactician is probably mid tier, with Bride being mid-to-high, and Dread Fighter high tier definitively.

Snipers are mid-to-high in postgame (Longbows f* up those Invisorcs, esp with Luna+Galeforce and a spd modifier of at least +2), while mid-to-low in the storyline.

I think Tables was talking Top Tier for Taciticians in the in-game list.

Theoretically, Nah could get Lancebreaker for the horse weakness, but yeah I hear you there.

I'm mainly waiting on other classes until we get some input from more people, but I'll probably follow your suggestion with the Dreadfighter provided not too many people say otherwise. They definitely seem good with the 3 weapons & dat Aggressor.

Edited by BANRYU

There are like 3 beast killers in the game, and zero enemy taguel (unless ypi count Aversa's Paralogue, and that's situational)

I think Sniper should be low for ingame for obvious reasons.

I can almost imagine Interceptor having a fit right about now. But really outside of Luna+ Snipers are mediocre, so I'd agree.

Actually I think this brings up more questions (for in-game, since that's all I care about). What difficulty should we assume? It makes a big difference to a lot of things, like the above mentioned Snipers. And do we care about what classes give what skills and the like? If we do that's a big reason Tactician is so good, but if not, Tactician is merely good, and Grandmaster is mediocre.

I just want to add, anything that splits between physical and magical attack is bad [postgame]. Sorcs are also pretty bad due to poor stats overall, and dark magic not being that great.

Added Generals and Snipers to low tier in-game and Generals to low postgame.

Actually I think this brings up more questions (for in-game, since that's all I care about). What difficulty should we assume? It makes a big difference to a lot of things, like the above mentioned Snipers. And do we care about what classes give what skills and the like? If we do that's a big reason Tactician is so good, but if not, Tactician is merely good, and Grandmaster is mediocre.

I think difficulty doesn't quite matter; it's hard to say since I haven't done many in-game runs, but the idea of the In-Game tiers is basically for speedruns and such, I think… Practically everything is usable on Normal, and Lunatic requires serious grinding, so maybe we should look at Hard mode…? I kind of wanted to ask you guys about that, actually… As for classes/skills, I'm assuming no reclassing outside of Donny since that requires extra grinding. I think ideally, it's just the one Master Seal to whichever upgraded class and the skills that come with it and the base class. Skills factor in though, yes. (I hope I sort of answered your question, I'm not sure that I did. ~___~)

@ Gaius, don't Vantage+Vengeance and Nosferatu/Aversa's Night make Sorcs passable at least? There's also Mire, though TBH I don't really know how viable it's considered to be.

Do you guys think we could get some mid-tier nominations in here as well? I know they're the hardest to do, but not everything can be top or bottom of the barrel. Personally, Sorcerers sound like a pretty good candidate for Postgame mid-tier right now given the mixed opinions. I'm thinking Wyvern Lords might also fit the bill.

Edited by BANRYU

I think difficulty doesn't quite matter; it's hard to say since I haven't done many in-game runs, but the idea of the In-Game tiers is basically for speedruns and such, I think…

This isn't really true at all. Speedruns are pretty specific and use a very limited selection of characters (Avatar, Frederick, Basilio are basically the only ones I can think of who are used beyond the chapter they join). You can pretty much tier to whatever criteria you want, it doesn't have to be LTC or speedrun or anything else, you can tier based on how much they increase reliability and/or decrease difficulty for example (there was an attempt at one of those before but the person running it didn't really know the game).

Also as for difficulty mattering, no, that isn't true. Look at the low turn tier lists - Sumia is high on the Hard lists (probably top 10? Not sure) but then drops to like mid or low tiers on Lunatic, because suddenly she isn't reliably 1 rounding at base level which is something not many other people can do, but she's just providing bad chip damage.

Practically everything is usable on Normal, and Lunatic requires serious grinding

...Whut? Having just finished a Lunatic CLA run with no grinding and other restrictions, and not even being that good at this game, you're wrong. Everyone is at least usable on Lunatic, and many people can easily reach the point they're an asset to the team. But the mode requires no grinding. It even actively discourages it!

so maybe we should look at Hard mode…? I kind of wanted to ask you guys about that, actually… As for classes/skills, I'm assuming no reclassing outside of Donny since that requires extra grinding. I think ideally, it's just the one Master Seal to whichever upgraded class and the skills that come with it and the base class. Skills factor in though, yes. (I hope I sort of answered your question, I'm not sure that I did. ~___~)

Bold: Are you joking? That has to be a joke right? Otherwise this whole tier list would be pointless and just a normal tier list in disguise, but combining lots of characters into one slot. What's the point of a class tier list if it doesn't even give you an idea of which classes are good to reclass into‽ Especially when no reclassing is basically a specific challenge run people do to make the game harder.

Gaius, don't Vantage+Vengeance and Nosferatu/Aversa's Night make Sorcs passable at least? There's also Mire, though TBH I don't really know how viable it's considered to be.

Postgame, none of those things are relevant to Sorceror's. Nosferatanking is irrelevant, because you simply don't get hit. Mire chip could be useful potentially, but pretty rarely. VV isn't specifically related to Sorceror - it requires having the class available but that's it. Now Sorc is still an okay class, it could maybe be mid tier, but it's basically just a worse version of Sage. Remember postgame more or less revolves around galeforce + braves to kill everything ludicrously quickly and get 3 kills per pair per turn, so movement and access to braves with 1-2 range are good things.

Hey guys, I was exploring the FE13 Subforum and I didn't really see any threads that specifically delve into which classes are the most useful in Awakening (both in-game and post-game), so I thought I'd make one just for that purpose. The idea of this thread is to sort the classes for how useful they're generally considered to be for either metagame. I'll keep track of more or less what the general consensus is in the OP for reference to anyone looking for like a general classing / strategy guide.

In-Game Tiers: Ranked on which units make for the quickest, easiest, or most efficient run through the main story. Mainly refers to the first-generation characters specifically more so than their classes. Assume no DLC content.

I'm confused. Wouldn't that just make this a regular tier list rather than a class tier list?

Edited by lazydoggamer

Manaketes are mid-tier IMO. On the plus side, their weapons give them very solid stat boosts and they have decent 1-2 range weapons. On the minus, they're locked to unforgable, non-brave weapons.

Manaketes are mid-tier IMO. On the plus side, their weapons give them very solid stat boosts and they have decent 1-2 range weapons. On the minus, they're locked to unforgable, non-brave weapons

Exactly why I think that Taguel is a bottom-tier class. Mediocre caps, and they don't even have 1-2 range weapons.

I agree, Taguel are definitely low to bottom tier. Bad skills (they're useful, but not really strong), terrible bases, 1 range lock, level 30 cap. Bad growths as well, and an expensive weapon. About the only thing it does well is that Beaststones give decently good boosts, but that's really not enough.

Sorcs are also pretty bad due to poor stats overall, and dark magic not being that great.

You sure?

On my first Lunatic run (Classic, of course) and dark magic has been just about the only thing keeping me in the running - not to mention the outrageous bulk a sorcerer has

(Unless you mean strictly postgame, where I'd imagine sorcerers probably do fall off - the speed/skill caps probably hurt..)

Anyways, we can probably agree that Taguel is always useless.

In Normal and Hard, Tricksters, Assassins, and Swordmasters all make fun dodgetanks, but it's tough to squeeze any use out of them in Lunatic, so I don't know how we fit that into the list.

I'm seeing a lot of general hate for General, but I'd think that they'd be good in postgame once you have a couple skills on them? Things like Aegis and Sol?

I want to say that Berserker is also a good postgame class because (tied for) highest offensive cap in the game therefore awesome dualstriker without having to lose out on SPD but again, I'm not familiar enough with the Meta to say for sure

No matter what, it seems like between the difficulty distinctions, the ingame/postgame distinction, and strategy dependences, it's going to be incredibly difficult to fit the classes into a single tier list :/

(first post on the forum please dont hurt me)

Gaius was talking postgame yes, and Dark Magic is pretty mediocre there. The extra defence doesn't matter, while the loss in Magic and Skill does.

Regarding avoid classes, that's another good point about where difficulty is absolutely going to matter. Avoid skills are awesome up to hard, but on Lunatic they become less good. Still useful, but a lot less reliable. Between skills and forges, Lunatic enemies (come endgame) have +30 hit, and they also have higher skill and luck on top, so probably more like 40 extra hit, which is enough that even avoid based units are regularly facing 50%+ hit rates. Add to that some enemies sporting breakers and it's a serious issue. They do fine until chapter 17 though, when forges and hit+10 comes out en masse.

Postgame General doesn't seem good to me. Low move is a killer for a start. They have great STR which is nice, but low SPD and SKL means less reliable procs and they aren't doubling any of the fast enemies, which is a minor hinderance. I would say Generals are probably low tier: movement and Skl/Spd issues being the main reasons.

So yeah I definitely agree a single tier list won't work.

(first post on the forum please dont hurt me)

Let's get him, guys!

But seriously welcome.

I agree, Taguel are definitely low to bottom tier. Bad skills (they're useful, but not really strong), terrible bases, 1 range lock, level 30 cap. Bad growths as well, and an expensive weapon. About the only thing it does well is that Beaststones give decently good boosts, but that's really not enough.

Fun thing: Give a Wedding Bouquet to Panne.

She'll get about the same amount of stats as what the Beaststone+ gives her...

Taguel are pretty much in the tier that's above Villager, but below everything else.